Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Caught s/o stealing- wwyd?
Previous  1  2

If you noticed someone stealing, would you report them?
yes  
 50%  [ 8 ]
no, I'd pretend I didn't see  
 50%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 16

amother

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 12:03 pm
I have a family member that has a grocery store. (not every person knows I'm related since there are a few people working there). when I come in to do my shopping- usually just a few items I either bring my stuff to the register and bag it myself and then walk out (though sometimes I do speak to the owners), or I take a shopping bag and walk around the store putting in the items I need.
anyone seeing this can think I'm stealing. too bad.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 12:56 pm
I don't think anyone can really understand how low someone can stoop in dyre need of something ... and since when is salami a luxury ...

pinktichel - this is not said to make you feel bad - you did what you felt was right ...

but consider if you were in this position of being hungry or needed tampons or anything ... yes I have a higher value that tells me don't ... but not everybody has that capability ... nor do they feel capable of asking for food when they may get turned down and embarrassed ...

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 1:56 pm
Quote:
I have a family member that has a grocery store. (not every person knows I'm related since there are a few people working there). when I come in to do my shopping- usually just a few items I either bring my stuff to the register and bag it myself and then walk out (though sometimes I do speak to the owners), or I take a shopping bag and walk around the store putting in the items I need.
anyone seeing this can think I'm stealing. too bad.

Your situation is VERY different. It's a little obvious that what you're doing is ok if you fill up your bags in front of everyone without getting all sneaky. I wouldn't think twice if I saw you. I'd assume you were either related to the owner or had some sort of deal with them.

I'll repeat again: THIS WOMAN WAS OBVIOUSLY NOT 100% AND WENT TO ANOTHER ISLE, LOOKED AROUND TO BE SURE NO ONE WAS THERE, AND ONLY THEN SHOVED THE SALAMI (AND PERHAPS OTHER THINGS) INTO HER BAG.

Quote:
but consider if you were in this position of being hungry or needed tampons or anything ... yes I have a higher value that tells me don't ... but not everybody has that capability ... nor do they feel capable of asking for food when they may get turned down and embarrassed ...

Isn't that why as I mentioned before, I told the store manager? This way, if she really did need the food, he could offer to give it to her for free and make some sort of arrangements with her.

Besides, if she was in such a dire situation, why not steal all the food and save the money for something else? No one would have suspected her if she left the store without purchasing anything. People do that all the time. Not always can you find that which you are looking for!!

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 2:00 pm
DH says I did the right thing so I'm listening to him.

No matter what her situation was, she stole. It's wrong whichever way you look at it. Hopefully, she will never do it again and instead will ask for whatever she needs! [/img]

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 2:11 pm
yeah ... but you're not G-d and it wasn't your store ... so ...

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 2:24 pm
Ok green, I get your point. Although, I always have to have the last word, so...... for the g-d only knows what number time: I thought I was helping both the Jewish store owner and this disturbed woman!

Don't worry, I swore I'll never be a good samaritan ever again. Twisted Evil

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 2:35 pm
greenfire wrote:
yeah ... but you're not G-d and it wasn't your store ... so ...

True, none of us are G-d...so why have any sort of judicial system, why have a beis din and rabbonim? why have police and a court and a judge? Why is it even one of the 7 mitzvos b'nei noach to have a justice system in place?
we aren't G-d, how dare we judge and take action?

think about it...don't you think its doing a person a favour to stop them from stealing a salami and perhaps getting them some help before they deteriorate into stealing other things?

and if its a kleptomaniac, who will keep returning to steal from the same store that lets her get away with it?
where is the rachmonus on the store owner?

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 2:37 pm
also we know there is a reason for everything and the fact that OP was the one to see the person stealing was not just by chance!

amother

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 8:13 pm
pinktichel wrote:
Don't worry, I swore I'll never be a good samaritan ever again. Twisted Evil

Oh please, Pink! Don't listen to these people! Let's see what they would say if it were their store. I'm sure they wouldn't still have that attitude of "well maybe she was hungry!"

You did the right thing. You didn't embarrass her. You let the storekeeper deal with it, and he did it in the best way possible.

Since when is it okay to commit a crime because you can justify it?!?! Any way you slice it, (pardon the pun!) she stole, and that's never okay!

Luv ya! Sunny
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics