Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Have you left toddlers overnight?what should we expect?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 29 2007, 12:44 am
Im curious about your experiences...
My Dh and I are going away for a much needed 2 night vacation. Were leaving the kids at my parents house with them, plus my teenage sister and a babysitter. Our kids are 3 and 1 1/2- weve never left them for more than a few hours. I need this vacation badly- esp since #3 is on the way. My q is- have you done this before? what should I expect in terms of my kids reaction (3 yr old is the one I am most concerned about)? any tips on making it go as smooth as possible?
I already booked the hotel so pls dont offer criticsm- it wont change my plans!

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jul 29 2007, 2:22 am
Don't make a big deal about leaving. Make sure they're well occupied when you head out the door.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 29 2007, 6:49 am
If you are leaving them with people they know well I wouldn't worry. We just left our kids for a day and a night with a babysitter (who they know very well). My youngest is 3 and they were all fine. I think they had more fun with her than with me - she was able to give them undivided attention - not being preoccupied with things like laundry, cleaning etc.

Another time we left the 3 older kids with my parents and sister - they said they did not even notice we had gone!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 29 2007, 9:28 am
No. Never went anyplace, even to this day . . .

EXCEPT when I had a baby and was in the hospital. the almost 2 year old shrugged his shoulders a lot when I came home, and avoided me for a couple of days, then he got over it.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 29 2007, 9:38 am
hey they'll survive ... get what you need in time with dh ... promise them to bring them back something and hug them before you leave ... again they will survive ... have FUN!!!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jul 29 2007, 9:45 am
I have kids the same age. The 1 1/2 year old probably won't understand much in advance, but the 3 year old will. A day or two before you leave, prepare him. Say things like, "you're going to Bobby & Zaidy for a little bit because Tatty and I are going away. We'll be back soon and bring you a present." Mention other people he'll know there, treats he'll get there -- whatever special things he likes.
I left my first with my parents when my second was born (he was 17 months old at the time) and he was fine because he had gone there for Shabbosos beforehand.
It may go so well, you may want to convince your parents to take them for a week after you have the baby.
enjoy your little getaway and don't worry!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics