Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Bedtime "Shtick"

cantaloupe

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 2:04 pm
My daughter who's turning three plays so much "shtick" with me, every night at bedtime. "Mommy I want a drink" "Mommy, could you cover me" =about 3 times. and "Mommy I need the bathroom" about three times.after her cuddles and bedtime routine is done.

How can I refuse her to use the bathroom? Maybe she really needs it. So I let her go. Sometimes she really needs it, while at other times it's just for shtick.

Any suggestions? Do you think it makes sense at this age, to say"Now is the only time you can use the bathroom" and ignore her request for her afterward?

TammyTammy

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 2:18 pm
mommy1 wrote:
My daughter who's turning three plays so much "shtick" with me, every night at bedtime. "Mommy I want a drink" "Mommy, could you cover me" =about 3 times. and "Mommy I need the bathroom" about three times.after her cuddles and bedtime routine is done.

How can I refuse her to use the bathroom? Maybe she really needs it. So I let her go. Sometimes she really needs it, while at other times it's just for shtick.

Any suggestions? Do you think it makes sense at this age, to say"Now is the only time you can use the bathroom" and ignore her request for her afterward?

Stress with her that she must get her drink before bedtime (or maybe allow a *small* drink of water afterwards) and then stand firm to any further requests. Same with the blankets... if she undoes them, then she has to cover herself again afterwards.

As for the bathroom, barring any known problems (stomachache, etc.) allow her to go once or twice, but stress that she must finish up, do what she needs to do, and then go to bed. Make her aware that if she feels the need to parade several times during the night, there will be consequences (and stick to them!). She'll learn quickly enough to take care of matters in one trip to the bathroom.

Tammy

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 3:18 pm
I have the same thing with my 3 year old.
IF I remember, I have him use the toilet before putting on his night-time diaper. Otherwise, I really can't refuse him...Somehow he managed to make himself need to go #2 many times at bedtime...which shows me he really has to go!
He wants a sippy cup, more to drink, music on, music turned over for more, etc...
Sometimes I just have enough and say - that's it! - I don't know if he's having trouble falling asleep or b'davka keeping himself up because he doesn't want to sleep....
Sorry, no real suggestions here, but I sympathize with you!

GAMZu

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 4:22 pm
Oooh, I just solved this very issue with my 3 y.o.

I just told him one day, "Tell me EVERYTHING you want to have/do right now. I'll bring you what you want, and then that's it, because you have to sleep." So I give him ideas. Do you want your sippy cup? curtains closed? blanket? Elmo? shluf yarmulke? bathroom?

After several times, I didn't have to list everything. He just remembers and tells me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics