Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
So much nosh!!!

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 2:59 am
My 3 year old daughter is in an israeli gan. There is so much nosh being given out. I am losing my mind.
I have always been very health conscious with her. And suddenly she is being bombarded with nosh and treats every day for no reason!
I need a good idea. please help me figure out a good way to get my daughter on the right track.

salt

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 3:51 am
First you could *try* speaking to the ganenet. But in my experience - it's a lost cause Sad
At least possibly no toffees, lollipops, the real worst things.
If the ganenet has a beginning-of-year meeting for the parents, which they often do, you could try to bring it up. You will be surprised at how many parents agree.

Failing that, keep up the healthy eating at home. If they get their fill of nosh at gan, you can give them fruit and veg, at home.
Buy whole meal bread, healthy spreads, etc.

There was once a girl at my DD's gan who said to the ganenet when she was giving out a toffee to everyone "I'm not allowed" - and didn't take. Kol hakavod for her self-discipline, but I did feel bad for her.
Although now you come to think of it, if my kids are offered coke at school, they will refuse it, because it's been drummed into them that it's horrible horrible stuff! But a candy and other stuff they will take.

I don't think you can ban it. Just keep your kid aware that it's not the best, and try and keep it to a minimum.

If the get a 'sakit mamtakim' (bag of nosh) for a birthday - encourage them to save it - one piece per day. Or share it with their siblings, or with the other kids in the park.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 8:08 am
Don't be that parent who hounds the teacher until it's banned and all parents hate you.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 12:39 pm
I gave you a hug. My DD never had nosh until first grade, and she is SUPER reactive to sugar. She would come home all wild, and then crash an hour later in a pile of exhausted tears.

I started a nosh jar. She would take a little bit at school, and bring the rest home. We had kids in the neighborhood that she played with, and they didn't go to Jewish schools. They never got nosh like this, so she was happy to share with all of her non-Jewish friends. (This was when we lived in the US, obviously.)

Another thing you can do is "buy" the nosh, and give a shekel for each 3 pieces of nosh, or whatever. Then your child can buy a toy at the store later.

nameless

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 1:33 pm
From my experience it's the worst the first week and then it usually calms down. There will probably still be nosh for their shabbos party on Fridays but other than that it shouldn't be every day after the first week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics