Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How do you handle your kids nosh?
Previous  1  2

amother
White

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:18 pm
Its one day a year. I don't make a thing of it. I let it float around for a day or two after and then it casually dissappears

watergirl

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:28 pm
English3 wrote:
Are you not worried about their teeth at all?
How do you deal with their moods after?

I also let my kids eat whatever they want on Purim. They go to bed after, so I don’t have to deal with their moods, and I promise their teeth will be fine if they brush and floss afterwards and regularly. For my kids who have braces, I buy off of them the candy that they cannot have Or let them trade it for some thing that they can. I actually bought a nice stash of sippies for this reason - braces safe.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:45 pm
They do whatever they want with it, at some point I say ok whatever is left is going to the cleaning lady or to school or donated. Usually about a week after Purim in the name of getting ready for pesach.

Highstrung

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:57 pm
Purim and Simchas Torah , eat all you want but know that you may feel nauseous.

After Purim, 1 snack every day , if it’s a cookie or chips like snack. All candy and junk reserved for Shabbos only and you get to pick one to two noshes from your stash for Shabbos Party /Shabbos Treat.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 4:27 pm
My kid is only 2 so could be this will change. But I let her have a few things today afyer eating a healthy breakfast. I sorted the healthier stuff I know we'll eat and a couple nosh I know we like.
Everything else went into a bag that we offloaded to some bochurim

giftedmom

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 4:54 pm
Bh my kids know how to regulate their intake and they hardly ate anything so far. They tell me they feel much better when they don’t eat.

Stars

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 5:41 pm
English3 wrote:
Are you not worried about their teeth at all?
How do you deal with their moods after?

My kids don’t tend to overdo it. They want real meals. They eat their candy and nosh but not at alarming rates. They also give a lot of it away. When they run out of mm to give they repackage some of what they got at give that out. If I had a kid who couldn’t pace themselves I might do things differently.

English3

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 5:43 pm
For those that say its once a year, then lucky you. My son can come home nearly on a weekly basis with a few pekalach from shul aufrufen and they have at least five items inside. He gets a treat at shalosh suedos and motzei shabbos for avos ubonim. He already has a stash of nosh that just grows. its crazy.

Thank you for those that shared ideas I really appreciate hearing different views.

English3

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 5:46 pm
The hardest part for me is that the candy just sits in the cupboard because I hate giving it to them and it just piles up. My kids get a special treat for davening on shabbos. Otherwise I only give very small sweets for incetives. The gross lollies, sherbets etc just pile up. It comes in quicker then out.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 5:57 pm
English3 wrote:
The hardest part for me is that the candy just sits in the cupboard because I hate giving it to them and it just piles up. My kids get a special treat for davening on shabbos. Otherwise I only give very small sweets for incetives. The gross lollies, sherbets etc just pile up. It comes in quicker then out.

Why don’t you just throw them out? We throw out candy very easily. If my kids try a piece and don’t like it I casually tell them ok throw it out, and they do. We don’t make candy into high value currency in our house. It’s not any major treat. My kids usually choose mango and pineapple and cherries over oodles and taffy.

Tao

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 6:02 pm
I'm normally very strict about sugar intake, every other day of the year. On Purim, we have a solid breakfast with protein so I know everyone's started off the day right, and then I close my eyes and let them loose. They just eat sugar after sugar after sugar and I don't limit it. But I do make sure everyone brushes their teeth at the end of the day!

giftedmom

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 6:28 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
Why don’t you just throw them out? We throw out candy very easily. If my kids try a piece and don’t like it I casually tell them ok throw it out, and they do. We don’t make candy into high value currency in our house. It’s not any major treat. My kids usually choose mango and pineapple and cherries over oodles and taffy.

This. Were very chilled about it. I show disgust towards the yucky non-food, I allow them to buy it and give to their friends, but stuff they get they very easily throw out.
It’s just not that big a deal

renslet

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 8:00 pm
Purim, I let them eat whatever they want. The seuda is lunch (and my kids are great eaters) so I'm not worried about them missing out on real food. Afterwards they each have a bag and eat it. I find they tend to hoard it and eat is very slowly

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:48 pm
They pick a couple rare treats (I never buy this kind of stuff) and the rest gets packed up for the housekeeper to take home with her tomorrow. Fortunately my kids are very disciplined when it comes to junk food and there is no battle to be had in this department.

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:12 pm
Purim day they can eat wtvr they want after a very good breakfast. Shushan Purim we go thru everything and they pick what snacks and candy they like then we take for everyday for school. The stuff they don’t like they bring to school right away and kids eat it. After around 2 weeks all candy goes to school and nothing more in the house.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:53 pm
socialbutterfly wrote:
I can't micromanage on this day. So I don't.

It's one day. They'll survive.

But it’s not one day! The giving started already on Wednesday, from their teachers and rebbes and the amount they have is seriously OVERKILL. It’s enough for a few weeks worth of shabbos parties.

My 2 cents

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:22 am
The rage is to collect for the organizations(a topic on its own). But Purim day do whatever you want after that you can trade in for money for whatever your collecting for, and I’m generous! Works like a charm!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics