Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Freezing challah dough

IndyMom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2005, 11:50 pm
Anyone have a good challah recipe that freezes well? I usually make bread machine challah, but I want to take challah with a bracha and then freeze the dough to bake while I am in labor - so does anyone have experience with freezing dough that could help me with this?

thanks!

IndyMom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2005, 11:58 pm
I should add that I hate baking and cooking adn doing anything in the kitchen really - so EASY is KEY!

1stimer

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 6:21 am
afaik u can freeze any dough. Just put it in a plastic bag BEFORE it rises, then let it defrost overnight in the fridge. Take it out and let it come to room temp for an hour.

sarahd

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 8:24 am
Can I ask why you want to bake when you're in labor. Sounds kind of masochistic.... Very Happy

queen

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 8:38 am
1stimer- what do you mean by 'put in plastic bag BEFORE it rises.....'

when do you let it rise, after it defrosts for baking?

IndyMom

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 9:00 am
1stimer - how can I take it out the night before if I don't know when I will go into labor? Is there a 'quick' way to do it?

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 9:33 am
I don't put it into the fridge I have put it on the counter for about an hour or so depending on the size of the loaf. and then bake it. And it came out great. The dough I use to freeze is the recipe from the kosher pallete. IT was such a great thing. It saves me so much time and money. I love it and will do it again. Then with leftover challah I made croutons. My kids loved it and I didn't through away used challah.

proudmom

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 9:43 am
I had a bad experience with freezing the challah doe. I took it out of the freezer and the doe never rose.

1stimer

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 11:27 am
queen it rises as it defrosts.

stem

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 9:17 pm
Indymom. what is the reason to bake challah while in labor? Is it purely a spiritual segulah? I always thought that besides the mitzva of challah, all the kneading and mixing might help distract you from the labor and maybe help things move along... by the time you start making the dough till the challah comes out of the oven it could be 4.5-5 hours, which might be right when you hit active labor... maybe I just think too much Rolling Eyes

IndyMom

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 11:10 pm
I would do it only for a spirtual reason, as most people who know me well know, I HATE TO BAKE! (or cook, or clean, or do laundry...). So, it would just add to my labor pains if I had to sit and bake for 4 hours. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads