Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My kids being bullied - I think

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 4:39 pm
He’s 6 yrs old, smart, friendly, good looking. He also misses social cues, is very literal, and terrible at sports. He doesn’t have any great friends in school but doesn’t seem to mind
Earlier in the year he came home and told me about the boys who were pushing him out of the way to be the first into class after recess. I told his rebbi who had a talk with the class and things worked out bh.
When a boy dumped out the contents of his knapsack on the bus I told him to tell his principal. He did. It was dealt with and that boy doesn’t bother him anymore.
When some boys were calling him names on the bus I told him to ignore them and find a friend to sit with. I also called a neighbor and asked her older son to look out for him on the bus. He doesn’t complain about the bus anymore, except that this one boy often grabs his yarmulka. I told him that’s just something kids do.
Yesterday he came home and told me that some classmates were hurting him by recess.
Im not sure why he seems to have a bully target on his back. I’m also not sure how to help him.

m e

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 4:44 pm
Teach him how to stick up for for him self. It will be the best thing he can learn and bullies hate it. In the case of the yamulka tell him when the boy does it say stop and in general kids don’t like when they are tattled tailed on they much rather you tell them stop I don’t like that and hear that you have a voice

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 5:08 pm
He has very little upper body strength (he’s currently receiving ot and Pt outside of school) so even if he were so inclined he couldn’t fight back. he tells them to stop. They don’t.

weasley

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 5:52 pm
Op I'd suggest sending him to a social skills coach. A child whose missing social cues is going to be a target for bullying.

Pickle1

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 6:11 pm
definitely give your son a lot of encouragement and love right now. read him rivka schonfeld's book called 'my friend the bully' explain to him as much as possible why kids act like bullies and exactly what he's supposed to do. (first say pls stop, then try walking away, if doesn't work go to a teacher) encourage him that it has nothing to do with him and everything to do with the kid thats bothering him.next PLEASE call the teacher and principal to make them aware whats going on. my 6 yr old confided in me he was being bullied.he told me the names, the principal called them out of class and they received such a speech - how they are 'never ever ever' allowed to push or hurt another kid and if they ever dare do it again.... they are young enough to be so scared. they haven't bothered my son ever since. and the teacher is aware and looking out during recess etc.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 10:02 pm
Any leads on a social skills coach our group in Brooklyn?
I wish I knew what to tell my son to make it stop

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 10:08 pm
1:1 sessions with a good speech therapist may be a good start. Only wirh one who is trained in social skills. Rivka Schoenfeld may run groups. Hatzlacha and daven that Hashem help him in this area.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics