Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Asked to learn with an 11th grader need advice from you guys

LEAH

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 7:19 am
ive been asked to learn with a girl from 10/11th Grade, im not quite sure which.
she wants me to be a kind of mashpia for her.
she is not particular at all as to what she learns. I was thinking of learning a maayon chai on the parsha of hte week and then something deep and meaningful, preferably in english as my hebrew is not the best and dont have so much time to sit beforehand to learn it.
I thought maybe on womens mitzvos or maybe middos. I really dont know and need some suggestions or ideas.
does anyone have any suggestions of a sefer or book or articles that may help me.
Many thanks

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 8:02 am
wouldn't know what to learn ... but it seems like this young girl needs more of an older "friend" someone to look up to ... that would then be the goal ... ask the girl what she is interested in - hearing her out will be a good start to an open relationship ...

amother

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 8:25 am
When I was at that age and learning with an "older" woman (read: mid twenties) so she would be a good influence/mashpia on me, we learned orchos tzaddikim and then the kuzari.
Honestly, what you learn isn't so important, as much as your attitude and accepting her for who she is, and being willing to talk about whatever she wants to talk about.
Be prepared to not learn much- generally the learning will probably just be a springboard into a discussion.

And be sure- this mashpia is the reason I am who I am today. You can really make a difference in this girl's life.
Yasher Koach!

rainbow

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 10:13 am
I'd def. ask the girl how she wants to spend the time together. Would she like to just hang around and chat, would she like to learn and if yes what subject matter interests her.

su7kids

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 11:01 am
Starting with a sefer in front of you sets the tone for "Torah-dike" atmosphere and discussion.

If its without a Sefer, it could be "hanging out" and that doesn't sound like it is what she wants. So, whatever you learn is good.

LEAH

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 11:41 am
hi
thanks for your responses
ive asked her what she wants and shes not particular about what she learns. she really does want to learn something not just chat. of course chatting will lead on from what were learning.
thanks

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 11:48 am
Learn Tanya, Likkuttei Sichos in the original. It will spark many discussions, and be very illuminating for her (and you!)

su7kids is right. It says osiyos machkimos. The text is HKBH's chochma, and illuminates the sechel. That's the advantage of in-text learning.

What is the girl's level of learning?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics