Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Saying tehillim for your own children

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 1:11 am
Parenting is hard! Very Happy I spoke with a friend recently who told me that she is saying daily a kapitel of tehillim for each of her children according to their age. It sounded like a great idea to me. However, she is saying the exact kapitel , like 12 for a 12 years old and I always thought we say +1 , so 13 for a 12 y.o.. Does anyone know, is it just different minhagim? Or do we add +1 only for refuah? I asked my husband but he is not sure.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 2:38 am
As far as I understand it's age plus 1 because they are already into the next year. For example a 12 year old completed 12 on their birthday and is already into their 13th year.

shevi82

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 2:42 am
Any Tefilla a mother says for a child is wonderful.Do not think it matters exactly which perek.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 7:23 am
My family's minhag is to say the number of the next year, as a segulah to live to that year. So when I'm 30 I'll say 31 etc.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 10:27 am
shevi82 wrote:
Any Tefilla a mother says for a child is wonderful.Do not think it matters exactly which perek.
True, but I wanted to start saying tehillim , especially now on Chanukah, and was trying to decide which way. ( so I been reading both tehillim for each child for last few days LOL ) I think I will start reading +1 , like I always did. Thank you all!

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 10:34 am
allthingsblue wrote:
My family's minhag is to say the number of the next year, as a segulah to live to that year. So when I'm 30 I'll say 31 etc.

I thought that we were the only one! That's my family's minhag too!

But I never thought of saying a perek of tehillim for each of my children. I think its a beautiful idea, thanks!

salt

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 6:29 am
Never heard of this minhag.

Do you mean the number of the perek is according to their age (or age +1) or the quantity of perakim?
ie. for a 6 yr old, do you say 6 perakim, or perek vav?

I sometimes say tehillim for my children, from perek 119, according to the letters of their name. Never heard of age having meaning.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 7:47 am
I do this daily. Read 12 for my 11 yr old, 10 for my 9 yr old, etc. including myself and my husband (also our age plus one).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics