Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Nerd s/o building confidence

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 11:06 am
I was also a nerd. My mother always told me I was beautiful, but she also put herself down.

For a while I thought that I didn't have confidence because I absorbed my mother's own attitudes about herself. So I try to be careful, not only to give my kids compliments, but also not to say negative things about myself (at least not in front of them).

My parents were also very critical, and I think that's toxic and try to stay away from that.

But wondering if the wise ladies here can offer any other suggestions oan raising kids with self-confidence, who are not afraid of what others think of them, and who feel good about themselves?

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 11:10 am
You answered your own question. You need to be a good model.
You need to act with confidence with your children. You need to give over messages that you feel good about yourself and you feel good being yourself and how you are a deserving human being.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 12:49 pm
What about compliments? Does praising kids really affect their self image? I wonder if confidence is more of an inborn thing

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 12:52 pm
amother wrote:
What about compliments? Does praising kids really affect their self image? I wonder if confidence is more of an inborn thing

Yes and no.
But at the end of the day kids copy u. It doesn't matter wht u say it's how you act
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics