Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Getting to Ein Gedi / Dead Sea

Mayflower

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 9:57 am
We're going to Israel in a few weeks, for the first time as a family. We'll be staying mainly in Yerushalayim but would like to show our kids Ein Gedi and go to the Dead Sea.

We were planning on taking a day tour with Artzeinu or Hoffman but it turns out that it's quite expensive with a few kids (they only get a 10% reduction). We won't rent a car because my husband isn't comfortable driving in Israel.

So basically: is it feasible to visit these two places in one day by public transportation? I know there's an Egged bus going to Ein Gedi - is the stop near the entrance of the parc ? And is it near a separate beach? Or would we need to take another bus from Ein Gedi to the beach?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated! (Also on other low budget trips we could make with a few young kids in tow...)

Teomima

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 10:09 am
What exactly are you asking? Ein Gedi can mean many things. There's the actual Ein Gedi spring, up in a mountain. There's the national park Nahal David, which is also how one usually hiked up to the Ein Gedi spring, though there's other springs and falls along the way. There's Kibbutz Ein Gedi, which is just below the Ein Gedi spring and next to Nahal David. All of this is across the street from the Dead Sea though the old public breach in the area closed a while ago. Then there's the Ein Gedi spa, which is a short drive away and is a popular, though not very fancy, spa right on the shores of the Dead Sea (well, it used to be, the sea has receded quite a bit over the years).

North of all this, closer to Jerusalem, are several popular public beaches. Further south is the main touristy hotel and beach area of Ein Bokek. And between the two is Masada.

All of this is accessible through public transportation.

doctorima

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 10:16 am
As I recall, the separate beach at the Dead Sea was quite a drive in from the main highway, so if the bus drops you off there, you'll need to take a taxi to the beach. We rented a car when we did it (Ein Gedi, Masada, and Dead Sea all in 1 day from Jerusalem), and the flexibility it offered made such a difference for us.

Mayflower

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 10:25 am
Quote:
What exactly are you asking? Ein Gedi can mean many things. There's the actual Ein Gedi spring, up in a mountain. There's the national park Nahal David, which is also how one usually hiked up to the Ein Gedi spring, though there's other springs and falls along the way. There's Kibbutz Ein Gedi, which is just below the Ein Gedi spring and next to Nahal David. All of this is across the street from the Dead Sea though the old public breach in the area closed a while ago. Then there's the Ein Gedi spa

That sounds confusing Wink . I guess I'd like to make the same tour of Ein Gedi as the tour operators make, meaning in the Ein Gedi nature reserve, then to walk the length of the David River Waterfalls, and then to a seperate beach.

Is the spring where the waterfall is? So then that's where we'd like to go.

Quote:

As I recall, the separate beach at the Dead Sea was quite a drive in from the main highway, so if the bus drops you off there, you'll need to take a taxi to the beach. We rented a car when we did it (Ein Gedi, Masada, and Dead Sea all in 1 day from Jerusalem), and the flexibility it offered made such a difference for us.

Right, I would also prefer renting a car for the day. I guess taking a taxi would be a good option.

Was it easy to find your way around without a guide? Easy to get from one place to another?

etky

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 10:35 am
There is public transportation to Ein Gedi, Ein Bokek and to Masada but it will be very limiting to travel and tour the area this way.
Egged also offers a variety of day tours that include these sites, in different formats. I have no idea how the price compares to Artzeinu but here is the link:
http://www.eggedtours.com/Isra.....glish

Mayflower

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 10:38 am
etky wrote:
There is public transportation to Ein Gedi, Ein Bokek and to Masada but it will be very limiting to travel and tour the area this way.
Egged also offers a variety of day tours that include these sites, in different formats. I have no idea how the price compares to Artzeinu but here is the link:
http://www.eggedtours.com/Isra.....glish

Thanks a lot, I'll check it out.

DrMom

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 10:40 am
I would either rent a car or take the tour. Public transportation to the Dead Sea is not very convenient.

doctorima

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 10:47 am
[quote="Mayflower"]
Quote:
Was it easy to find your way around without a guide? Easy to get from one place to another?

Quite easy to navigate. You can't miss Masada and the Ein Gedi nature reserve. I recall that when we turned off the main highway into the Yam HaMelach area, DH asked someone where the separate beach was, and they gave him directions (it was right before a big hotel, but the name escapes me - anyone know?), which worked perfectly. We would have spent so much more time waiting for buses and shlepping around with kids in the heat had we not had a car.

Mayflower

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 10:51 am
Yes, I think I'm going to have to try to convince DH to rent a car for the day.

Probably a silly question for the Israelis, but we have to drive through palestinian territory to get to Ein Gedi right? So isn't it a bit dangerous, like if we would get lost or take a wrong exit, or if we would stop for gas at the wrong place?

doctorima

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 11:17 am
I'm not an Israeli, but as I recall, the main highway does pass next to Palestinian territory for part of the drive, but you don't actually go through their land and can't get lost there. Just stay on the main highway until the exits for Masada, Ein Gedi, and Yam Hamelach, which are all clearly marked. And make sure to fill up on gas in Jerusalem to avoid any problems.

etky

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 11:21 am
Mayflower wrote:
Yes, I think I'm going to have to try to convince DH to rent a car for the day.

Probably a silly question for the Israelis, but we have to drive through palestinian territory to get to Ein Gedi right? So isn't it a bit dangerous, like if we would get lost or take a wrong exit, or if we would stop for gas at the wrong place?

Not a silly question cause these things happen but driving down from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea is pretty straightforward and entirely on Israeli controlled roads and areas. You should be fine. In fact, I would worry more about the driving itself. 90 is not the greatest road, especially in the winter.

newbie613

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 11:21 am
I have gone to the separate beaches at the dead sea with Egged. You can call Egged directly (they speak English) and ask them exactly which bus to take. They dropped us off right at the beach (2 minute walk). I believe they stopped at Ein Gedi on the way but when you speak to Egged, you can definitely ask them that too.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 12:18 pm
A one day taxi might come out cheaper. I would rent a car just for that day, even if I wouldn't drive in Israel. But from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea is a pretty easy straight way. Especially with kids it's gonna be very hard on the bus. You need to shlep along good, beach gear...

Mayflower

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 4:50 pm
Thanks, you convinced us. We decided to rent a car just for the day...

grace413

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 1:19 am
Just make sure to check the weather forecast because if it rains there are sometimes flash floods in the area that close the road.

LisaS

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 1:27 am
I would encourage you to rent a car. It will make your trip with kids so much simpler.

LisaS

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 1:27 am
Sorry, now I see that you already decided.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics