Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Sephardi guests

amother

Post Sat, Aug 18 2007, 7:25 pm
I am having sephardi guests this year and I would like to make something(s) thats are traditional to the sephardi customs for rosh hashana.does anyone have any recipes?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 1:48 am
European Sefardim do the apple in honey thing. Some also eat bemuelos dipped in sugar water. http://www.jewish-food.org/rec.....s.htm
Although my mom makes them for Pesach with matza flour and no orange syrup, not rosh hashana or chanuka, but it all depends on the customs.

North Africans eat Arabic pastries dipped in sugar. I suppose Yemenites and Persians have similar stuff.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 6:17 am
Quote:
these minhagim are from an ancestry of spain, who fled into europe.

true, these are European Sephardim

I hope someone will help with other Sephardim

amother

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 6:19 am
oh benuelos, one of my cousins used to make that for chanuka,with sugar syrup.. yum. I havent had those since I was a little girl.
we have a sheep head, and we also have a k'ara of all those veges and things to make brachot on. once you finish all the brachot, youre pretty much fuill! ( least I am)
one head per husband, and I have a huge k'ara for everybody.
if youre in brooklyn, and the thought of a sheep head grosses you out, you can get just the cheek at glat pack. it looks like a piece of spare ribs. but if you get there, you might be able to ask dov to not cut it down for you so that you keep the entire side of the head for the table. ( you only get one side of the head) try to ask for the side that has the tongue in it, it tastes yummy. at my uncles house, my cousins used to fight who gets to poke the eyeball out, and dare each other to eat it.!!
im gonna anon this in case ive just grossed everybody out ! LOL
I dont know what sort of sephardim are coming to you, but these minhagim are from an ancestry of spain, who fled into europe.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 6:39 am
we discussed this before, too bad I can't bump up that post.....

I remembre posters said that maybe the guests would like a change from what they usually eat, or maybe they would like to try what you make well, rather than an attempted version of their traditional foods.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 6:46 am
Anonymous where is your family from?

Interesting that you say beNuelos, we say beMuelos. The N version is a bit more modern, where was your family from in Spain?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 6:48 am
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....29861 could be related to this post, so I'm reposting!

amother

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 7:17 am
amother which vegetables do you make a bracha on?do you serve them raw or cooked? I remember my friend saying them she cooks them till they become sweet.do you know exactly how to make them sweet?

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 7:26 am
hey - get them to cook for you ... LOL Nervous

Seraph

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 10:06 am
Black eyed peas is a sfardi rosh hashana food, no?

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 7:38 pm
leek, spinach and pumpkin/butternut squash, are all things that we make a Yehi ratzon on on RH. (my husband is sefardic)

Let me know if you want to know how to make leekor spinach patties, I also Make pumpkin pie or pumpkin borekas.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 23 2007, 9:12 am
mommy3.5 please post some recipes!thanks so much!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus