Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Discounted yom tov clothes for kids?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

987gold

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 9:49 am
Coney island j and k, more stores on j, leggacy for clothes and hosiery, there is other cheap stores on j, Coney has freunds, kidichic, she'll station, buzz, happy home also has a mikva, Paperific is between k and l

southernbubby

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 9:55 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
"BH I'm OK enough that I should not need a gemach, yet not up to paying frum store prices either. I used to do fine with hand me downs plus inexpensive purchases like Children's Place on sale, but it's gotten much harder to find anything nice and tznius (alterations would kind of defeat the purpose of buying cheap) for yomtov for my big girl (size 8ish) "

Ebay..Letgo ap thread up.. mercari.. and numerous other apps

And sometimes, you just have to learn how to sew..

You know I was sad and resentful growing up 10 minutes from Boro Park , yet a million miles away socially and culturally..
But this forum has taught me what a brocha that truly was. When you grow up outside an established frum community and become frum later, you actually learn to do a lot for yourself..

I am taking a break from sewing at this very moment but a person who can sew is not dependent on frum stores because with a bit of fabric and creativity, anything can be made tznius. Unfortunately we pay a big price today for our lack of skills and resourcefulness. Ok, back to my sewing machine Very Happy

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 10:30 am
You people rock. Especially the Brooklyn scouts Smile And you seamstresses rock yourselves but this advice is hopeless for me!

Next question: Will Shavuos time be considered "end of season" with regard to spring/summer clothes going on sale? Because we can probably get through Pesach on what we have, combining spring and winter clothes, but I'd like to pick up an extra at some point since our winter clothes are very wintery (black velvet/dark velour, NOT wearing in summer!)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 10:32 am
seeker wrote:
You people rock. Especially the Brooklyn scouts Smile And you seamstresses rock yourselves but this advice is hopeless for me!

Next question: Will Shavuos time be considered "end of season" with regard to spring/summer clothes going on sale? Because we can probably get through Pesach on what we have, combining spring and winter clothes, but I'd like to pick up an extra at some point since our winter clothes are very wintery (black velvet/dark velour, NOT wearing in summer!)

They usually don't have good stock left at that time. Even now they're low on sizes. I purchase now but the kids don't wear the new stuff until lag b'omer time.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 10:37 am
Thanks. People were talking about getting things on sale post-season but it makes sense that my sizes would be out of stock, happens to me with adult things every time!

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 11:03 am
Is All In One that someone mentioned for cheap hosiery, is it along that stretch of 13th avenue that is being recommended?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 11:38 am
seeker wrote:
Is All In One that someone mentioned for cheap hosiery, is it along that stretch of 13th avenue that is being recommended?

They're totally not cheap anymore. They're catering to a much higher end clientele now.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 11:56 am
seeker wrote:
Thanks. People were talking about getting things on sale post-season but it makes sense that my sizes would be out of stock, happens to me with adult things every time!

The current stuff doesn't go on sale until after the upstate purchase rush IIRC.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 1:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:
They're totally not cheap anymore. They're catering to a much higher end clientele now.

Stick to the George brand in Walmart... Their pantyhose lasts longer than anything I bought in ladida BP stores

kb

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 1:06 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Stick to the George brand in Walmart... Their pantyhose lasts longer than anything I bought in ladida BP stores

Link?
How sheer are they?

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 1:33 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

agree! I get them for my kids. best brand

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 1:37 pm
http://www.gap.com/webcontent/.....8.jpg

got this dress for my girls. got a sz medium for 6 yo and paid around $23

yogabird

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 1:55 pm
I just remembered that anshei sfard has really inexpensive stuff and they're there this week until wednesday.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 7:31 am
OK, that crazy lady running around 13th avenue like a camp scavenger hunt was me (the judges disqualified me from the scavenger hunt for bringing back too many cute socks.)

Here's my experience:
First of all, $1.99 different/cute-sock sales are quite common. No need to buy out the store the first time you see one. Socks n basics or whatever that corner store was called, the bin outside had lots of cute ones in various sizes.
Basic regular tights and socks seemed to be priced the same wherever you go.
Sock exchange (I think?) had some really nice socks on clearance, hit or miss on the colors and sizes but I got something cute that matched DD's shabbos outfit for $2.49 which seems to be as good as it gets for Shabbos socks.
Designer Spot also seemed to have shabbos socks on the cheap side but that was my last stop since I was going in the opposite direction, so I already had what I needed and didn't look too closely.

Shells:
There was a store that had nice kids' shells outside for $8. Similar or same price at Basic Colors but the quality of the other place looked better. It was hard to tell though because the Basic Colors store was poorly lit. Looked like they had decent skirts if you're on the cheap.

Clothes:
The main reason I came home empty-handed on the clothes was because every store I asked had an inflexible return policy. Ranging from on-the-spot exchange only, to next day only, to three days only. My kids were out for half the week and I thought I could save grief by going shopping without them, but not going to take that big a gamble.

But just from browsing, I really liked Designer Spot. The clothes were pretty - I liked that they were in the overlap between up-to-date and classy, the store was reasonably easy to navigate, the prices were good (a little less than KidiChic, so KidiChic is probably less when on sale) and to help with the pricing there were some outfits where you could mix and match tops and bottoms so you could feel like you're getting two outfits for the price of one and a half. Nice coordination between boys and girls' clothes, for those interested. Most Shabbos clothes seemed to be $20 per piece of separates, and $40 for one-piece (dresses, robes).

All in One, as someone else reported, is NOT cheap. Whoa.

KidiChic had some nice things, starting at a little over $20 for pieces of separates with dressier things costing more. I hear they have nice sales later in the season so maybe I'll look out for next year just in case. I always feel like that's a gamble, though.

Lulu was not particularly cheap on their regular clothes, but they did have some clearace in back. I found one outfit for $18 total that would probably have been good but again I wasn't taking chances on "next day only, only for on-the-spot exchange for an item of the same price from the same sale rack whether we have something in your size or not." Basically, it's very much worth a visit if you're on a budget, but BRING YOUR KID!

Clover had a nice selection, not exactly cheap but definitely favorable since their styles seemed comparable to more expensive stores.

Other errands:
Got my groceries at Gourmet Glatt because they had a bunch of things I needed/wanted on sale, and the store navigates well.
Used the mikvah at KRM. I *think* it was the chlorine that caused the paint marker to melt off the mugs my kids made Sad They aren't home yet but they're going to kill me Sad Lesson learned: DRY them well before putting them in the bag to go home. I figured I'd just wash them when I got home but I think sitting in the mikvah water is what killed them Sad
Got tablecloth at Closeout Connections. They had lots of nice things for Pesach table setting, for those who are interested in that stuff. I got a plainer white tablecloth that claims to be spill-proof for $18 (smallest size) but there were fancy leather-style and other trendier tablecloths for $30 (smallest size) and up. I haven't comparison shopped for tablecloths but that sounds good compared to what I expected.
While there I also picked up a book for my kids, either for afikomen or just undeserved entertainment Wink ($4, Yaffa Ganz, one of my favorite authors. There were some others that looked nice, all under $10 but $4 for a book of several sweet stories is a real win. It's hard to keep Jewish books in the house.)

Did not quite meet my 2-3 hour goal but considering how much browsing around I did, I came awfully close. Definitely under 4 hours including groceries, parking, and going up to 14th avenue to check out Lulu. The one thing I didn't check out was imamother which featured a clothes offer in the same neighborhood at the same time LOL

DREAMING

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 8:10 am
The spill-proof tablecloth really is spill proof! I've bought them several times! (They are spill proof for things like wine not chrein lol🙃)

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 8:18 am
I got fresh air and plenty of exercise and I'm excited to give the kids their fun socks tomorrow Smile And I will read the book before I give it to them because I love a good kids' book and I know this one will get squirreled away into bookworm's bunk bed "storage" Wink

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 8:39 am
Seeker I buy a size or two up on Gap/old Navy for next year.
Like now, Jcrew had a really nice cotton knit dress on sale for 17 and change. I ordered a size up for next winter.

Gap and old Navy is free return shipping so I make a huge order and sometimes two or three sizes to see what I'll need.

Long sleeve dresses for my 4 yo for next school year. $8-15 a dress. She now wears a 6 gap. (She's very tall)
Same with 3 yo. Also a size up and she can still go with toddlers line so that's even cheaper.
There was a traveling sale in kj a few weeks ago, got the kids long robes for $28. Still needsay. White shell though. Pastel white shells should do.
They also had sale dresses long sleeve or elbow length for under $20.

Now I need a shabbos / yom tov outfit another robe in knee length that can pass as a second yom tov dress.

I went into some local stores and they prices were insane!! $120 for a toddlers sleeved dress. Short sleeved / sleeveless dress was in the $70 range. My kid is THREE.

Last year my kids were just 4 and 2.5 they had their sleeveless dresses that I bought for them on amazon for around $35 (iirc) the year before
I hemmed it the first year. (1.5 yo and just 3)
And they used without a shell. This last summer I got my 4 yo shell.

I love shopping online from my couch. Lol. But I need to be able to return it.

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 8:50 am
So I just double checked.

I paid $19.99 two years ago. And now it's $16.99
It was a pain to iron. But it didn't crease too bad once it was worn. It was so delicate and elegant on the girls. Love love loved it.
Here it is. My kids had to in mint.
marc janie Baby Toddler Girls' Cute Sleeveless Casual Dress 4T Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F.....633SC

Also, I just found this dress. I saway it yesterday in a local store for $70+ bucks. I really liked it. But the price!!!! And here it is for $12.99. I'm not sure it's the same but on the screen it looks EXACTLY the same. Even the tag iirc.
So I'll just order two sizes. Free shipping. Free return. That's my thing!
LittleSpring Little Girls' Dress Summer Flower White
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G.....9EJ4T

I always like going into one store to see what's selling this season. If I like something on the stop and it's under $40 I getting it. (So I don't do geneiva and I go in with the Kavana to buy akd I have baught nice stuff I found in the past)

mommyhood

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 9:24 am
seeker wrote:

I've always been able to find something for my kids when the sales start Shavuos/Chanukah. I go right when the sales start, the ones with instagram post when the sale starts. I try to buy things that are year round fabrics not super summery/wintery so if I buy Shavuos it can last until the Chanukah sale and Chanukah can last until Shavuos or longer if they don't grow so fast.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 9:33 am
Amazon Prime is great with the shipping and prices but very hard to browse. When you toss me a link, I take a look.

My issue with Gap etc is that as frum girls get older they are less and less tznius. Mostly due to shorter in the skirt.

Didn't know Gap and ON have free return shipping?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains