Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
How long is the dancing usually at Sephardic weddings?

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Mar 24 2018, 8:40 pm
How long is the dancing usually at Sephardic weddings? How long is the Chuppah? And how long is the dancing after the Chuppah and after the meal?

crust

Post Sat, Mar 24 2018, 10:51 pm
Which type of crowd?

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Mar 24 2018, 10:57 pm
Chasidish weddings, there is no dancing after chuppah there's a meal.

Usually dancing starts at 10 and ends at 12.

doctorima

Post Sat, Mar 24 2018, 11:27 pm
In my experience, the chuppah usually takes a little less than 30 minutes, then there's a long break of an hour+ while the chosson and kallah take pictures, and the guests sit down to eat. When the chosson and kallah enter, the first dance is about 25-30 minutes, followed by the main course, followed by a second dance of around the same duration as the first dance (maybe a little shorter), then dessert and bentching.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 4:46 am
crust wrote:
Which type of crowd?

Sephardic weddings

crust

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 9:33 am
amother wrote:
Sephardic weddings

I think you should write that in your thread title.

essie14

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 9:59 am
There is no yichud room at sefardic weddings and they usually take all the photos before the guests arrive.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 1:51 pm
crust wrote:
I think you should write that in your thread title.

Thank you I just did

doctorima

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you I just did

While you added it to your OP, it's still missing from the subject of this thread. Crust recommended that you also change the subject of the thread so that people familiar with Sefardi wedding customs can comment and answer your question.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 3:11 pm
doctorima wrote:
While you added it to your OP, it's still missing from the subject of this thread. Crust recommended that you also change the subject of the thread so that people familiar with Sefardi wedding customs can comment and answer your question.

I just did, thank you

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 3:56 pm
essie14 wrote:
There is no yichud room at sefardic weddings and they usually take all the photos before the guests arrive.

I think this very much depends on social circles/ communities. We're sefardi and we did yichud room. We also did not see each other before the wedding, hence pictures after chuppah. My wedding was structured exactly the same as my Ashkenazi friends'. We're in a modern yeshivish circle.

When we went to relatives' sefardi weddings in Israel, the weddings were structured differently. So I think op should be even more specific about her question.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 4:23 pm
in the circles I'm familiar with, it starts when the bride and groom come in and lasts all night.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 4:25 pm
There are many kinds of sefardim and this many kinds of weddings. By some there is no set seating, it's buffet style so you can be in and out of dancing and eating. This means no specific length. These weddings often have dance for a looping time but people are in and out. Some come early and leave early some come later but all the food is still out.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 7:24 am
amother wrote:
I think this very much depends on social circles/ communities. We're sefardi and we did yichud room. We also did not see each other before the wedding, hence pictures after chuppah. My wedding was structured exactly the same as my Ashkenazi friends'. We're in a modern yeshivish circle.

When we went to relatives' sefardi weddings in Israel, the weddings were structured differently. So I think op should be even more specific about her question.

I think one would do better to ask the families making the simcha. Even if it turns out that the question is about a Moroccan wedding in Cleveland, or an Iraqi/Egyptian wedding in Yad Eliyahu, there still may be variations, and it wouldn't be very helpful to know that a typical wedding is like X when the wedding one is going to is different enough that one will miss the dancing (assuming one is trying to arrive for the dancing, but the same would be true if one wanted to just eat the first course and leave when the dancing started and was trying to schedule a babysitter for the right amount of time)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics