Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Slow Cooker

shoy18

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 7:51 pm
I must buy a new slow cooker before shabbos, and I haven't had luck with the ones Ive bought over the years. Does anyone have one that they really like and think is good?

anuta

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 11:31 pm
Yes!

Don't buy Rival brand; they have bad quality crocks, hard to clean because of it, and they are too hot even on the low setting (liquid is boiling!)

I have had good luck with Hamilton Beach brand (same as Proctor-Silex)..

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 12:07 am
That's funny bc I have a rival smart pot and love it!

yrs1025

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 11:10 am
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....6a9a3 the link to which ones are shaila free. Here is a list of West Bend ones:
http://www.westbend.com/westbe.....kid=5

Any of the models that don't have the insert:

Item #84716 (this is the one I have and really like it)
‎6-Quart Versatility™ The Everyday Slow Cooker
Item #84755
‎5-Quart Oblong Slow Cooker
Item #84765
‎5-Quart Slow Cooker/Tote
Item #84846
‎6-Quart "Versatility" Deluxe Slow Cooker
Item #84866
Versatility Slow Cooker w/Griddle

Last edited by yrs1025 on Thu, Sep 06 2007, 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 11:26 am
I have 2 rival crock pots and love them. I even use them during the week. rival is the original crock pot brand, I would say they probably make theirs better than others. they're not hard to clean, and if you don't have the patience, you can always use crock pot liners.

anuta

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 11:56 am
mummiedearest,

have you tried other brands? I know Rival is the original brand, when did you buy yours?

I have 2 Rival crock pots (one big one for company, one for Pesach), purchased within last 3 years, and I am unhappy with them.

Then I bought a small Proctor-Silex slowcooker that I used for Shabbat and everyday with my family, I loved it. Then I broke its glass lid and replaced it with a bigger Hamilton Beach one (Hamilton Beach and Proctor Silex is the same company), and I am equally happy.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 12:31 pm
http://www.target.com/gp/detai.....GI5N6

This is the one I bought a few weeks ago at Target. Don't buy it! It's a terrible one. I'm going out today to buy a new one.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 12:36 pm
http://www.thebuzzelectronics......r.htm

This is the one I used to have & plan on buying. It lasted me 8 years!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 12:54 pm
what was wrong with it, momof3? it looks nice.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 1:05 pm
I have a Rival crockpot, it works very well, and I have no problem getting it clean.

I think the low setting might be a little high, but it works out well for me. Nothing has ever burnt.

I keep it on the warming setting during shabbos.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 1:34 pm
With the Proctor Silex, I put the cholent in at 1pm on high, after a few hours turned it to low & right bfore Shabbos turned it to keep warm. By the time we ate it Shabbos at 1:30ish it was amazing. With the Rival, I did the same but on Keep warm, it wasn't totally cooked & on low, I had to keep adding hot water from the urn on Shabbos. Even still, I had a terrible mess in the pot to clean up.

anuta

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 1:41 pm
Momof3, I had similar issues with the Rival brand - the "low" is too high, the liquid is lost at a large rate, the cholent sticks to the walls... The glass lid doesn't fit too well.
The first Rival I bought, I had to exchange, because the inside of the (white) crockpot was not completely smooth, had many visible small bumps and indentations. The new one was better, but not by much. Even though I clean it well, I can never get rid of the brown stripe on the wall from the cholents.

Hamilton Beach is just better quality, hands down.

Those of you who like/have adapted to using Rival, have you tried Hamilton Beach?

Also, I think Rival smartpot might be different, its more expensive. I had only regular ones.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 1:41 pm
I usually start the cholent at 9am, cook it on high or low, doesn't really make a difference (and never need to add water) and turn it on low right before shabbos.

It's never been difficult for me to clean out.

shoy18

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 4:13 pm
thanks for all your help!! Im going to stay away from the rivals.

shoy18

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 2:56 pm
Ok so I went to the buzz today and bought the magic mill with the blech type bottom, the best thing about it is that it has a flat top so you can put stuff on top of it without it falling off. The guy said its the best one but then again he probably just wanted to make a sale.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars