Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Sending kids in a taxi alone in Jerusalem

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 1:26 am
From what age would you send 2 - 3 children alone in a taxi, form one neighborhood of Jerusalem to another (about a 10 minute drive)? If you're putting them in the taxi at your end, and they are being waited for at the other end by another family member. And your order a taxi from a company where you know all the drivers are Jewish.

I'm asking what age would you make sure the oldest child is?

eg. my 3 kids, aged 7, 10 and 12 - I would send. I think I'd send the 7 and 10 year old alone as well, if they were perfectly happy to go alone. If the kids were nervous then I wouldn't.

My brother says I'm crazy even sending the three alone.

Aylat

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 1:36 am
Depending on the personality of the kids, yeah, I think I would. Funny, I wonder if it's safer to send by bus.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 1:41 am
Aylat wrote:
Depending on the personality of the kids, yeah, I think I would. Funny, I wonder if it's safer to send by bus.

I think safer by taxi than bus. Many more things can go wrong on a bus. But said brother would definitely not send his kids by bus at that age either.
I do when they are sure of the way (the 10 and 12 year old), I prefer it if they are together or with a friend.

Aylat

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 2:08 am
I meant because there are more people around and they're not in the power of one person who you don't know. I think it's fairly safe though, especially if they had a phone with them. Kids travelling together are safer than one alone.

About the bus: Only if they are sure of the way, have done it before etc. My daughter got the bus to school in Ramat Bet Shemesh at around age 8. A short journey, within one neighbourhood, and a very safe demographic of other passengers - lots of kids, teens, parents on the way to school and work. I would let my 12 and 10 y.o get the bus together from our yishuv to Yerushalayim if a family member met them at the bus stop. Again, it's a familiar journey to them and a safe passenger demographic. OTOH my mother would love for them to come and visit her in the north, but it's a much longer journey with many stops, and a varied group of passengers, and I'm not comfortable with them doing that yet.

Teomima

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 2:10 am
I don't know when I would, but I do know when I feel ready for that, I'd rather send with a company like Gett, where you can track the taxi via the app.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 3:54 am
Teomima wrote:
I don't know when I would, but I do know when I feel ready for that, I'd rather send with a company like Gett, where you can track the taxi via the app.

I wouldn't feel safe sending children alone with Gett since many of the drivers are Arabs.

essie14

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 4:10 am
amother wrote:
I wouldn't feel safe sending children alone with Gett since many of the drivers are Arabs.

Gett Mehadrin is an option which allows to to order a Jewish driver

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 4:56 am
amother wrote:

Many taxi drivers in Jerusalem are Arabs, Gett or no Gett.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 4:59 am
Taxis are licensed, they cannot just do anything... I think it's fine if they take the children.
I know kids who go by bus since "they can read stations names".

Sadie

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 5:04 am
Why don’t you find a driver or two that you can trust and book trips with them in advance? Then you don’t have to take whoever the company sends and hope they’re okay. I had a female driver (in Jerusalem) that I used to call all the time when I was working as a nanny. Let me know if you would like her number.

Zeleze

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 5:06 am
A Jewish drives yes if it's 2-3 children, not alone (the same in BP or Lkwd or whatever)

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 5:28 am
DrMom wrote:
Many taxi drivers in Jerusalem are Arabs, Gett or no Gett.

Right, but there are companies which advertise as only using Jewish drivers. I would definitely only use such a company if sending children alone.

Though I hadn't heard of the Gett mehadrin option, so in that case I would go with that as well.

abound

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 5:29 am
Some taxi drivers I got to know since I kept calling them directly and most of my family calls them. I would send my children with them. Calling a company and getting a random driver even if he is Jewish, I would send an older teen only.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 5:47 am
amother wrote:
Right, but there are companies which advertise as only using Jewish drivers. I would definitely only use such a company if sending children alone.

Though I hadn't heard of the Gett mehadrin option, so in that case I would go with that as well.

Bar Ilan, and Ramot Taxis only use Jewish drivers. There may be others too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics