Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
When to start tutoring

Jk2018

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 12:56 pm
I'm looking to start tutoring regents subjects such as math, bio, chemistry. I have experience tutoring these subjects years ago before I got married. Recently I have some extra time and would like to earn a little bit. Is now a good time to start looking for tutoring jobs in Brooklyn? Do you think people already have their tutors set or would want regents prep now?
Also do you think they can come to my home at nights so I don't have to find a babysitter for my sleeping toddler?
Any input appreciated!

pleaseandthankyou

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 1:08 pm
I'm sure there are many that are looking for tutors as it is getting close to the regents. Just make sure that you're up to date with all the requirements that change every few years of what is expected of the students.
You can definitely request that the student comes to your house. They are high school age after all.
Maybe call some high schools to let them know that you're available, so they can refer you to their students that need the help.

Jk2018

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 1:24 pm
pleaseandthankyou wrote:
I'm sure there are many that are looking for tutors as it is getting close to the regents. Just make sure that you're up to date with all the requirements that change every few years of what is expected of the students.
You can definitely request that the student comes to your house. They are high school age after all.
Maybe call some high schools to let them know that you're available, so they can refer you to their students that need the help.

Thank you so much, that is a great idea! I've been in the field of math and science so I'm not worried about forgetting the information. I definitely will look up all the new requirements and get some of the new regents books.

nicole81

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 2:29 pm
Jk2018 wrote:
Thank you so much, that is a great idea! I've been in the field of math and science so I'm not worried about forgetting the information. I definitely will look up all the new requirements and get some of the new regents books.

The math is much more conceptual and much less about process. I've gone through some algebra exams and ascertained that one can get a 65 without any procedural knowledge whatsoever. But you absolutely must know which concepts are emphasized, and they're completely different from what was once taught and what is commonly used in mathematically oriented careers. In my opinion there aren't any good math Regents review books out there, but if you read the state information about the conceptual framework for the exam and standards, and look through all of the available exams, you should get a good idea of what to emphasize.

I stopped tutoring a few years ago, but I used to pick up a couple of new clients in May, and sometimes a single client would hire me for 3x/week in May and June if they went all year without tutoring.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 2:23 am
nicole81 wrote:
The math is much more conceptual and much less about process. I've gone through some algebra exams and ascertained that one can get a 65 without any procedural knowledge whatsoever. But you absolutely must know which concepts are emphasized, and they're completely different from what was once taught and what is commonly used in mathematically oriented careers. In my opinion there aren't any good math Regents review books out there, but if you read the state information about the conceptual framework for the exam and standards, and look through all of the available exams, you should get a good idea of what to emphasize.

I stopped tutoring a few years ago, but I used to pick up a couple of new clients in May, and sometimes a single client would hire me for 3x/week in May and June if they went all year without tutoring.

How long would your sessions usually be?

Do you know the going rate these days for ny or NJ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics