Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Summer advice, please help

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 2:09 pm
My ds 15 and ds 13 want to go to sleep away camp, but it's out of our budget. Working in a day camp is not possible, because we missed deadlines.

My schedule if flexible and I can take time off to travel with them (driving, we live in NYC area), although nothing too complicated because there are a bunch of younger siblings that would be coming as well.

I so want for them to have a productive, refreshing summer.

I would love any suggestions for places to visit or see, whether day trips or even 5 day trips. Maybe classes that we haven't thought of? Or other activities?

We've already done almost all of the typical NYC and tri state area attractions.

lifesagift

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 2:20 pm
Activities in NYC are constantly changing especially when schools out, its practically impossible you've seen it all. If you enjoy the road you can drive up to Niagara Falls for a week which is fun for everyone

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 2:20 pm
We use the summer to enjoy extra cirricular hobbies like arts & sports that have no time in yeshiva life.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 2:30 pm
For day trips, maybe the Beast or the Shark water boats. Add bowling and lunch to the day's itinerary.

Jewelry making or other cool craft place for adults. Google for places in Manhattan or elsewhere.

Matinee daytime Broadway shows good for young kids and adults, like Matilda.

Hershey Park amusement park, water park and chocolate tour.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 2:41 pm
For day trips - it all depends on how comfortable you are for them to travel on their own...

You can find a list of parks in the city and try to visit them all (we did this for where we live it’s fun and free and plus we found some new favorites)
They can do the same thing with public libraries some are quite nice

Download the app strayboots there are a bunch of scavenger hunts in NYC they can do

For driving trips - niagra falls is nice, PA. There was also a whole thread a while back about DC and there’s lots to do there...

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 2:44 pm
What do you consider "not complicated"? If you are willing to go for 5+ days you can drive quite far. You can go to Washington DC, Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens. Or you can go to Corning and Niagara Falls. Or Lake George, Baseball Hall of Fame, Six Flags Great Escape... There are so many possibilities.

doctorima

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 2:45 pm
Go spend 3-4 days in VT and/or NH - lots of beautiful scenery, relaxing in nature, and not too expensive. You can also spend 3-4 days in DC, and most of the main attractions there are educational and free.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 2:50 pm
Would they qualify for Youth Corp? I see Cojo of Flatbush keeps advertising.

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 4:30 pm
Can 15 year old be a waiter in a sleepaway camp or something?

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 6:41 pm
Thank you everyone, a lot of these ideas are very helpful and I will try to look into them.

fbmommy

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 6:49 pm
Would they be interested in being counselors in a bungalow colony with a counselor's bungalow?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 7:59 pm
fbmommy wrote:
Would they be interested in being counselors in a bungalow colony with a counselor's bungalow?

This could be tons of fun and I think they would earn some pocket money too.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:13 pm
Many camps let girls go for free as mothers helpers to the staff members. They still get to have lots of fun, they're basically on call in the morning davening & shuir time & meals.

fbmommy

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 10:00 pm
If they are interested in a job in a colony you could PM me for more info about my colony

sanon

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 10:38 pm
Often the camps will provide financial aid if you have need, if you wanted to try to check that out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics