Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Looking for a A Natural Approach for healing PANDAS

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 5:56 pm
Title says it all. Eight year old DC with PANDAS. DC has trouble with school work, focusing and hyperactive tendencies (normally top of the grade, studious)... BH we got to the bottom of it but I would like to help the recovery process move along faster by supplementing vitamins that would be beneficial. Is anyone familiar?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 6:20 pm
NOT Surewhere you are located. But Alternative practitioners can be incredibly helpful with this.
Perhaps post where you are.
Refua shleima

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 6:47 pm
I’m located in Brooklyn

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 6:59 pm
Pm me for info on a whatsapp group for holistic minded moms of children with pandas

Changed to another once I received the pm

Last edited by amother on Mon, May 14 2018, 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Wine

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 7:24 pm
I have never before posted on this site. I would just like to say that the diagnosis of pandas (if it exists at all) is actually not common. (It would need to be a severe sudden onset of symptoms etc.)It is much more common that What you are seeing is OCD, particularly if there is anyone in the family with the diagnosis already. You cannot imagine the internal suffering of someone with this disease. But I can confidently say after much personal experience, that it is also one of the conditions that responds incredibly well when treated with medication. You can certainly try all manner of holistic treatment, and you should if you feel there is a chance it will help. But I also ask for the sake of your child, that you don’t rule out seeing a psychiatrist. When your child is out of misery, is calm and happy and thriving because their urges or thoughts have been tamped down, You will then know what treatment has been successful. I certainly hope that you can achieve this with vitamins, however as of now there is just no evidence to support that idea, and yet there’s a dispiriting amount of evidence about OCD when left untreated (anxiety and depression). It is really important to discuss your fears or worries with someone who knows about the medication and knows what it does to people and how it helps, and yes, about possible side effects. It is also worthwhile to consider how not treating this condition will be affecting the child. I have no horse in this race so to speak. I have just seen the tremendous suffering it can cause, but also the tremendous gift that is modern medicine. Hashem should help you and your child on whatever path you take and on this journey that you specifically were selected to be a part of.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 7:36 pm
amother wrote:
I have never before posted on this site. I would just like to say that the diagnosis of pandas (if it exists at all) is actually not common. (It would need to be a severe sudden onset of symptoms etc.)It is much more common that What you are seeing is OCD, particularly if there is anyone in the family with the diagnosis already. You cannot imagine the internal suffering of someone with this disease. But I can confidently say after much personal experience, that it is also one of the conditions that responds incredibly well when treated with medication. You can certainly try all manner of holistic treatment, and you should if you feel there is a chance it will help. But I also ask for the sake of your child, that you don’t rule out seeing a psychiatrist. When your child is out of misery, is calm and happy and thriving because their urges or thoughts have been tamped down, You will then know what treatment has been successful. I certainly hope that you can achieve this with vitamins, however as of now there is just no evidence to support that idea, and yet there’s a dispiriting amount of evidence about OCD when left untreated (anxiety and depression). It is really important to discuss your fears or worries with someone who knows about the medication and knows what it does to people and how it helps, and yes, about possible side effects. It is also worthwhile to consider how not treating this condition will be affecting the child. I have no horse in this race so to speak. I have just seen the tremendous suffering it can cause, but also the tremendous gift that is modern medicine. Hashem should help you and your child on whatever path you take and on this journey that you specifically were selected to be a part of.

I cannot agree more with this post.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 7:38 pm
amother wrote:

My child actually did not display any OCD tendencies. My pediatrician actually didn’t think my DC has pandas since DC showed no OCD but I knew it in my gut that my child is not acting like usually self. DC has difficulty focusing and holding attention, memory loss etc, when normally DC is extremely attentive and ka”h an A++++ student

amother
Wine

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 8:08 pm
Bh. I think parents are given a special intuition about their kids and just know things sometimes. I am not pretending to know what your child is experiencing, but pandas/ocd are defined by excessive worries, irrational fears, etc. that keep looping and repeating, and so the individual feels the need to calm them by engaging in some ritual or compulsion which isn’t always noticeable to an observer. They may seem distracted as their mind is so busy with their thoughts. You need to have the child express what it is they’re thinking/feeling and the child might be too embarrassed or not feel safe enough to express that (especially to someone they’re not close with), or the child may be too overwhelmed to do so. (Heartbreakingly, they may also be afraid that communicating their fear may actually cause it to come true along with some horrible imagined consequence.) So I would say it’s really important to keep searching and get to the bottom of it all. Because the behaviors you describe could just as easily be ADHD or be nothing at all (halevai!). Most importantly, I hope that your child should be helped and the solution should come quickly.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 8:21 pm
amother wrote:
Bh. I think parents are given a special intuition about their kids and just know things sometimes. I am not pretending to know what your child is experiencing, but pandas/ocd are defined by excessive worries, irrational fears, etc. that keep looping and repeating, and so the individual feels the need to calm them by engaging in some ritual or compulsion which isn’t always noticeable to an observer. They may seem distracted as their mind is so busy with their thoughts. You need to have the child express what it is they’re thinking/feeling and the child might be too embarrassed or not feel safe enough to express that (especially to someone they’re not close with), or the child may be too overwhelmed to do so. (Heartbreakingly, they may also be afraid that communicating their fear may actually cause it to come true along with some horrible imagined consequence.) So I would say it’s really important to keep searching and get to the bottom of it all. Because the behaviors you describe could just as easily be ADHD or be nothing at all (halevai!). Most importantly, I hope that your child should be helped and the solution should come quickly.

First of all, amen and thank you for your well meaning brachos. I am actually a psychologist and I will confer with one of my colleagues that specializes in behavioral tendencies.

anonymrs

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 7:57 am
amother wrote:

I cannot disagree more with this post.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 1:53 pm
You are totally wrong-amother who says Pandas doesn't exist. My very bright socially conscious amazing eight year old daughter started acting very very juvenile, to the point that I brought her to the doctor and told him I thought someone s-xually abused her. I was terrified. She started sucking her thumb all the time. Holding herself when she had to go to the bathroom etc...
Her behavior was very extreme and very sudden onset and once the blood work showed incredibly elevated levels in the blood, everything made sense. Now 4 years later she is B'H back to normal. She needed a year of antibiotics and vitamins. Whoever is soo sure Pandas doesn't exist, should continue thanking Hashem that they are soo ignorant and don't know of it firsthand.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 2:05 pm
amother wrote:
You are totally wrong-amother who says Pandas doesn't exist. My very bright socially conscious amazing eight year old daughter started acting very very juvenile, to the point that I brought her to the doctor and told him I thought someone s-xually abused her. I was terrified. She started sucking her thumb all the time. Holding herself when she had to go to the bathroom etc...
Her behavior was very extreme and very sudden onset and once the blood work showed incredibly elevated levels in the blood, everything made sense. Now 4 years later she is B'H back to normal. She needed a year of antibiotics and vitamins. Whoever is soo sure Pandas doesn't exist, should continue thanking Hashem that they are soo ignorant and don't know of it firsthand.

I agree 100% percent. I could’ve written this post the way you described your child. Amother- what vitamins are you giving to your child and do you see a positive change?

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 2:08 pm
amother above exactly because if your child dint exhibit any of these behaviors before that's when its clear cut. but unfortunately I have a child that is exhibiting these types of issues from when he was born. his adhd just burst into a volcano as soon as he turned around 7-8. till then I suspected he had issues. but as he grew older it was something I couldn't ignore. its something you see from when they are born. adhd and ocd are seen when they are young. it doesn't appear all of sudden.

some people that know nothing about these conditions dont see it but when they are told about it and diagnosed and look back they have the "aha" moment. of yes I see now.

pandas is totally different its something that comes overnight and is not that usual.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 2:24 pm
I gave her vitamin D and omega 3 for a long time.Also she was on Zithromax and Augmentin for a year. After that she needed a therapist for a year and a half to help her relearn what normal behavior is. B'H she is great now but I would never want to go back to that stage and anyone that is ignorant enough to say it doesn't exist obviously is someone who thinks they know EVERYTHING.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics