Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Speech therapy Early Intervention
1  2  Next

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 11:22 am
Would anyone be able to fill me in on how the early intervention system works now in Brooklyn? I am an SLP, and worked for early intervention about ten years ago. I understand that things have changed quite a bit, and I am looking to return to doing early intervention work. If anyone is able, could you give me an idea of what the system looks like now? For example, how long are sessions, what sort of paperwork system is being used now, reports, approximate pay, what sort of mandates are common, etc? I'd love to get information from any of my fellow SLPs out there, and from moms too if possible!!!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 8:30 am
Bump....? Anyone know anything?

mommy100

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 1:23 pm
Sessions are half hour can be from twice a month to four times a week. You are required to complete a session note for each session but not as detailed as it used to be just what goals you are working on and how you coached the parents. Pay would depend on the agency and language you are working for but I think it’s about 60 a session. Progress reports are due quarterly o matter how often you see the client.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 3:22 pm
Thank you so much Mommy100 for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.

From your experience, are cases readily available now? When I stopped doing ei, in about 2011, they had just changed the system, cut funding and clinician salaries (not why I left), and I remember people talking something about 15 minute increments and mandates of 1x/week.... Is that not the case anymore? Is the overall directive now to focus on parent training?

(sorry anonymous, been talking to people about returning to ei)

mommy100

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 5:41 pm
There has not been any 15 min increments. There is a lot more stress on Counseling the parents then there was in the past and yes many children are only getting once a week or even once every other week. If you are bilingual in Yiddish I don’t think you should have trouble filling up a full case load between the different agencies. Call yeled, challenge, step by step, Omni, and strivright

Good luck

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 6:09 pm
Thanks again for the info.... I will definitely call the agencies. I wish I spoke Yiddish.... (not just for ei, I just love the language....).

It would be so nice if there were some sort of online forum for speech pathologists to share information, ask questions, resources,etc.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 1:30 pm
Brooklyn is in dire need of SLP's for EI. we waited over 4 months for my daughters mandate to be filled. 2 months ago she got an increase in service ( to 4x30) & her slot is still open...
I have a few friends that are in the same 'boat'.

Don't know what your specialty is, but Feeding & PMV experienced therapists are in great demand.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jun 10 2018, 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

mommy100

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 2:00 pm
There are a few face book groups
Speech therapy ideas
Sharing Best Practices SEIT/SLP/OT/PT.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 3:23 pm
I recently got offered a CF job for EI in the NY area. Does anyone have any updated information about the type of session notes that are mandated? And how much the pay is per 30 min session? Thanks

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 7:03 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I recently got offered a CF job for EI in the NY area. Does anyone have any updated information about the type of session notes that are mandated? And how much the pay is per 30 min session? Thanks

For YVY, its 52 per half hr for a CF. You fill out the paperwork on the app, and submit quarterly reports. You also have to have the moms sign a permission form that says that they are aware that you're a CF.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 7:15 pm
What’s a CF?

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 7:18 pm
CF = clinical fellow. A new graduate working under supervision for a certain number of hours (to be eligible for the certificate of clinical competence (CCC) from ASHA)

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 10:00 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Brooklyn is in dire need of SLP's for EI. we waited over 4 months for my daughters mandate to be filled. 2 months ago she got an increase in service ( to 4x30) & her slot is still open...
I have a few friends that are in the same 'boat'.

Don't know what your specialty is, but Feeding & PMV experienced therapists are in great demand.

Brooklyn is in demand for EI providers in general.
I waited 4 months, too, for physical therapy (2x a week), & that was with me calling agencies myself to see if they had someone for me. (Which is how I found my current provider)

bsy

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 12:19 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Brooklyn is in demand for EI providers in general.
I waited 4 months, too, for physical therapy (2x a week), & that was with me calling agencies myself to see if they had someone for me. (Which is how I found my current provider)

People aren't so eager to do EI because of parking and traffic. I know people who will only service families with driveways.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 3:38 pm
bsy wrote:
People aren't so eager to do EI because of parking and traffic. I know people who will only service families with driveways.

Which equals a need for EI providers Smile
Basically, there's a demand.
(I was never asked if I have a driveway..)

bsy

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 3:58 pm

Correct. I'm just pointing out to OP what some of the difficulties may be.

bnm

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 7:27 pm

I was. I lived near the hospital. Some therapists won't come without a driveway. My neighbor used to borrow ours for her therapists. We had one therapist and one teacher who walked, the rest drove and used the driveways. With Brooklyn traffic you can spend 30 minutes at a kid then 30 minutes driving and looking for parking.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 7:40 pm
bnm wrote:
I was. I lived near the hospital. Some therapists won't come without a driveway. My neighbor used to borrow ours for her therapists. We had one therapist and one teacher who walked, the rest drove and used the driveways. With Brooklyn traffic you can spend 30 minutes at a kid then 30 minutes driving and looking for parking.

im not doubting.. I'm saying I wasn't even given that option!

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:13 pm
There is definitely a market for EI providers. No one wants to do it. The pay scale isnt worth it to travel around and find parking.

bnm

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 10:28 pm
im not doubting.. I'm saying I wasn't even given that option!

I learned to say it before kid #2 and 3 where evaluated because of my neighbor's experience. The coordinator said that when she asks therapists about availability and right away says there is a parking spot they are more open to listening.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics