Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
URGENT Anyone here ever started a school?
Previous  1  2

amother
Green

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 1:09 am
amother wrote:
TEN million to open a classroom in an existing school - for autistic children (so not requiring a tremendous amount of extra equipment that would be needed with children with physical challenges)?

If you can convince your school to reserve a classroom. And paid teachers, generously 1:1 at 75K per teacher, plus some extra funding for curriculum development and evaluations.. you are not even close to 1M.

What am I missing?

I said it was a guess!

Speech therapist /ot/psychologist on site just for the class (of max 6 kids). Maybe these people could be part time. Some funding would be government education funding. Some would be government disability funding. Some funding from parents.

But I said it was a guess. The ongoing costs per year would be the biggest issue. That's why having a larger amount in the beginning to make sure it lasted for a few years to give time to raise more funds. Well that's what I was thinking anyway.

Thanks Crust for the suggestion.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 1:13 am
amother wrote:
I said it was a guess!

Okay. Sharpen up your figures before you start to look for funding.

amother
Green

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 1:17 am
amother wrote:
Okay. Sharpen up your figures before you start to look for funding.

100% agree. I'm in the "help I gotta do Something brainstorming and idea" stage of this little baby.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 1:23 am
amother wrote:
100% agree. I'm in the "help I gotta do Something brainstorming and idea" stage of this little baby.

Okay.. my response was to this post and the other where you are already at the stage of looking for donors.

amother
Green

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 1:29 am
amother wrote:
Okay.. my response was to this post and the other where you are already at the stage of looking for donors.

Nah - I'm at the stage of

5%£&4%*4 this isn't working I have to do something stage. 😊

sped

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 3:17 pm
While I never started a school, I was on staff a new special ed yeshiva school a number of years back. I think you need to expect to pay for:
advertisement
initial classroom setup - materials, furniture and so on,
salaries for: full time teacher, full time assistant(s), part time director, part time speech therapist, OT, and part time psychologist.
You say you have facilities and I assume electricity and so on supplied to you.

zgp

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 4:23 pm
What level of autism are you talking? there are a number of programs in yerushalayim for these kids - some independent, some within schools - depends on exactly what you need.

I have a certain amount of experience starting a class within a school. have you got a school who are happy to work with you?

amother
Green

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 4:35 pm
zgp wrote:
What level of autism are you talking? there are a number of programs in yerushalayim for these kids - some independent, some within schools - depends on exactly what you need.

I have a certain amount of experience starting a class within a school. have you got a school who are happy to work with you?

Not yet but I have one in mind.

He is HFA1. He taught himself to read when he was 2.

He should be managing with the aide in the public school. But the aide and the school are clueless about so many things. And they keep saying that they are just following DoE policies.

zgp

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 4:58 pm
to start the class cooperation from the school is THE most important thing. You need an understanding principal, a classteacher of that age group who is willing to share ideas, some kind of support system for special needs in place, an open environment where they want to help. You can see that the trouble in public school is that they are not working with you to give him what he needs. you need a place that will work with you

then you need to work out what kind of program you want. all day, part day, some day inclusion some out etc. then to network for other parents who are interested in getting involved.
you cannot know how much it will cost until you have these ideas ironed out.

amother
Green

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 5:32 pm
That all makes sense.

zgp

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 1:54 am
I have personally always found it a huge help to have some expert or other on board (educational psychologist, neurologist even a pediatrician) as well as some kind of haskama from a rav. somehow makes people take you more seriously. plus the rav often has a lot of very helpful advice on who to speak to, who else might be interested etc
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics