Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Hello kitty is an Idol!
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 5:42 am
I could almost have believed that Hello Kitty may have been inspired by some idol somewhere. But from what I'm reading on this thread (sorry I'm not googling, I don't have a kitty dog in this fight) it sounds like if Hello Kitty is an idol, then Mickey Mouse is every bit as much of an idol too. At least that's how I'm parsing the posts.

Now where's the evidence for that one?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 5:43 am
imasoftov wrote:
I googled, and found Sanrio President: Hello Kitty Isn't a Cat, She's an Idol. But then I found this in the article. "Hello Kitty is not a cat. If Hello Kitty is a cat, then Mickey is a mouse. That's not how it's said, as Kitty is Kitty, and Mickey is Mickey. It's funny saying it, but the reason is because both Kitty and Mickey are idols. If you say 'mouse' or 'cat,' then that rationale cannot be understood."

But is someone claiming that both Hello Kitty and Mickey Mouse are representatives of false gods, and are worshipped in religious ceremonies? And what are they smoking?

This may also be an example of something lost in translation, and across different cultures. He may have meant to say "icon", instead of the word that means something to be bowed down to. "An iconic part of our pop-culture."

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 5:58 am
Hello Kitty is actually a little girl. See link: http://theweek.com/speedreads/.....t-cat

Idol would appear to be a poorly chosen word. The connotations must be different in Japanese than in English.

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 10:42 am
giselle wrote:
You also shouldn’t shop at Zara.

Think about it.

Huh? What's wrong with Zara's?

Water Stones

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 10:46 am
imasoftov wrote:
Get back to me when people start praying to statues of the winners.
Rolling Laughter

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 11:11 am
giselle wrote:
You also shouldn’t shop at Zara.

Think about it.

You can shop there, but not work. No avoda at Zara.

doctorima

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 11:40 am
Chayalle wrote:
Huh? What's wrong with Zara's?

Not my post and it was intended as a joke, which is that the store name could be connected to "avodah zara."

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 11:51 am
Guys thanks for the laugh today! This thread was a winner!

studying_torah

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 12:29 pm
So was this supposed to be serious that ppl thought hello kitty is an idol?
On another note, I always thought it was a childish thing and boy was I surprised to see hello kitties covered in pave diamonds that cost serious money. 🤨

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 2:21 pm
studying_torah wrote:
So was this supposed to be serious that ppl thought hello kitty is an idol?
On another note, I always thought it was a childish thing and boy was I surprised to see hello kitties covered in pave diamonds that cost serious money. 🤨

Hello Kitty is an idol!
Studying Torah

Your user name gave me a chuckle in this thread.

cnc

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:
You can shop there, but not work. No avoda at Zara.

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

studying_torah

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 4:26 pm
Glad u had a laugh, squishy. Wink
But are u joking or serious?

Fox

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 5:06 pm
debsey wrote:
Helllo Kitty is loosely based off the japanese tradition of "kitsune" which are like cat spirits who can be mischevous or friendly.

So sort of like Tinker Bell or Peter Pan. Not really something you'd worship (although you can clap if you believe in fairies if you like......)

No, no! "Kitsune" are foxes!

In Japanese mythology, foxes have paranormal powers and can turn into humans. Their presence can bring good fortune to a household. They often turn into young women, marry, and produce human children with special gifts. You can tell a really old, wise fox in Japanese mythology by how many tails he has, the maximum being nine.

I would think that Hello Kitty has more in common with the Japanese tradition of Maneki-neko -- the beckoning cat. But this doesn't really have any connection with idol worship, either.

Anyway, the Japanese do love their foxes:

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 7:47 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
This may also be an example of something lost in translation, and across different cultures. He may have meant to say "icon", instead of the word that means something to be bowed down to. "An iconic part of our pop-culture."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_idol

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 4:41 pm
amother wrote:
Someone mentioned that mandalas is an avodah zara. So is Yoga and guess what so is Hello Kitty!
Hello Kitty is actually an idol. I was shocked when I heard this yesterday. I did my research and what do you know ? hello Kitty is an idol. My friend's grandmother asked a shalah and the dayan (probably Bobov 45) said that since people's parnasah rely on it you should not tell people.
Look, me myself, I would not stop buying hello Kitty. But it is an interesting fact.

Why are you mentioning a name of a Dayan if you’re not even sure he’s the one they asked?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics