Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
I just yelled at my 3 preschoolers

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 9:22 am
I'm trying to prepare for an outing and my three preschoolers are demanding all of my attention. They are fighting, and hurting each other, and refusing to get dressed. My sensory seeker is leading the wreckage today. He's disorganized, knocking things over, and jumping from one thing to another, like a tornado. My sensory sensitive one is melting down from all of the input, and the youngest one is just joining in for the ride.

Usually, I'm all hands-on with them, and we manage just fine. Today, I am trying to prepare food and bathing suits, etc. And I went into overload. I yelled at all of them.

I'm so embarrassed. I feel like crying. They didn't deserve it. I acted just like my mother did when we were growing up.

How can I prevent this in the future?
I feel like always staying home. At least I can manage minute by minute without "freaking out".

How does everyone else do it?

Stars

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 9:29 am
Can sensory seeker be settled with a contained activity while you prep? A half inch bath with some bubbles, even, If your apartment is small enough so you can see him while you do your thing.
Sensory sensitive one needs to get his own brand new pair of headphones. Or anything you decide can be a "sensory helper" (blanket, pacifier, fidget cube). It comes out only at times like this. if he's 2 or older you can teach him to ask for it, so he gets to feel in control of his environment.
Good for you for trying to get this under control. You know what they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? In this case, it's worth a lot more.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 9:33 am
Peppa pig...

Rachel Shira

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 9:34 am
It’s also hard for kids to wait while a parent is rushing around getting things ready. It’s really normal that things get rowdy then. The more you can do when they’re sleeping, the calmer your getting out the door will be.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 11:07 am
How do you have 3 preschoolers?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 11:51 am
amother wrote:
How do you have 3 preschoolers?

I'm guessing one set of twins, and a younger sibling.

Seriously, if I had that many under kindergarten, I'd be yelling too! OP, give yourself credit for all the times you did hold it together. I'm impressed.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 12:49 pm
prep everything humanly possible the night before when they are asleep. lay out clothes for next day and you dress them as usual and throw freezer/fridge stuff in your bag. you can freeze your freezer stuff in the cold bag already. if its a long car ride car/ van can be prepped nite bf too witg books..cds at the ready....dry snack etc
have a great trip today.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 5:20 pm
amother wrote:
prep everything humanly possible the night before when they are asleep. lay out clothes for next day and you dress them as usual and throw freezer/fridge stuff in your bag. you can freeze your freezer stuff in the cold bag already. if its a long car ride car/ van can be prepped nite bf too witg books..cds at the ready....dry snack etc
have a great trip today.

That sounds ah-ma-zing! I think I have to hire a mother's helper/babysitter to watch the kids while I prep.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 5:24 pm
amother wrote:
That sounds ah-ma-zing! I think I have to hire a mother's helper/babysitter to watch the kids while I prep.

Try after they're asleep for the night

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 5:43 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Try after they're asleep for the night

I fall asleep with them. They are up before the sun in the morning.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 8:26 pm
Stars wrote:
Can sensory seeker be settled with a contained activity while you prep? A half inch bath with some bubbles, even, If your apartment is small enough so you can see him while you do your thing.
Sensory sensitive one needs to get his own brand new pair of headphones. Or anything you decide can be a "sensory helper" (blanket, pacifier, fidget cube). It comes out only at times like this. if he's 2 or older you can teach him to ask for it, so he gets to feel in control of his environment.
Good for you for trying to get this under control. You know what they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? In this case, it's worth a lot more.

Don't leave him alone in the bath!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers