Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Can I take this job?
1  2  3  Next

sunflowershine

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 4:41 am
V

Last edited by sunflowershine on Fri, Mar 08 2019, 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 4:52 am
I would take it. I've worked in nursery's before and I loved it. Usually assistants feel trampled on, but if you respect yourself and value your position, your feelings will spread to others.

I was the teacher before I was married and my assistants were often married women. That's the only time I felt awkward. Recently I filled in for a teacher and my assistant was a good 30 years older than me.

sunflowershine

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 4:55 am
V

Last edited by sunflowershine on Fri, Mar 08 2019, 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 5:04 am
You need to be confident in your job, if you are confident than it doesn't matter what others think
It's a good opportunity for you.

heidi

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 5:16 am
I know someone with a master's degree who hasn't worked since she had kids. When her kids grew older she took exactly the kind of job you're talking about. It gets her out of the house. She loves the kids and the people she works with. You have nothing to be embarassed about

sunflowershine

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 5:17 am
heidi wrote:
I know someone with a master's degree who hasn't worked since she had kids. When her kids grew older she took exactly the kind of job you're talking about. It gets her out of the house. She loves the kids and the people she works with. You have nothing to be embarassed about

Oh nice! I appreciate your response! I was feeling so self unconscious Smile

moonstone

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 5:20 am
sunflowershine wrote:
Thanks for your respond! I will probably take it just feel embarrassed why I'm taking such a "low" job.

Take the job, it sounds great for your situation. Don't waste one minute feeling embarrassed, because there's nothing to be embarrassed about. I don't know what circles you move in, but it would never even occur to me to think badly of someone with that job. It's a job! Anyone who makes you feel bad about this isn't worth your time. Go for it!

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 5:43 am
I would trust your responsibility and experience more than a younger candidate. My favorite assistants were bubbies or very caring mothers.
The most important is to love the kids. If you show the mothers that you love their kids, they will respect you and your position.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 6:20 am
Interesting. In the school I work at, many of the assistants are over 30. It never crossed my mind that it's odd. Please don't let this stop you from taking the job.

sunflowershine

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 6:26 am
Thank you everyone for your replies. It was a huge relief reading all the responses. I definitely have more confidence now. Thank you!!!

watergirl

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 6:28 am
I worked at a number of preschools as an assistant when I was in my 20s and married. Almost all of the assistants were also married or over mid 20s (regardless of their marital status) and many were even older than that.

octopus

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 6:46 am
You don't have to say you're an assistant. You are a teacher in the classroom. Or you say I work in nursery.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 6:47 am
My son's assistant last year is married and definitely not straight out of seminary. If I was in your position, the most important thing to me would be if the teacher respects me.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 6:57 am
I have seen many older assistants, many of whom have been head teachers themselves but for whatever reason are assistants for now- young mothers who don't want to have to work beyond school hours, bubbies who are retired teachers and prefer the lighter load of being the assistant, etc.

ChutzPAh

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 7:31 am
You can just tell people you are a nursery Morah. You don’t need to be specific.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 7:48 am
I work part-time and have done subbing as an assistant the other half of the day in a local preschool. I love it! It's a beautiful, wonderful school. I've only been treated with respect. I don't want the responsibility of having to run the class if the teacher's absent because that's what happens - they get a sub not for the teacher but for the assistant. That's the only reason I wouldn't take a longer term job with a class.

Radiate love for the kids, and excitement at helping them grow and you will be doing mitzvos every moment - being partners in chinuch with the parents, and making the kids and parents feel good about school. Hatzlacha!

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 8:16 am
I know many older women who are preschool assistants. In the Chassidish school that I went to, they were mostly young girls, but in other circles preschool assistants can be older and respected women.

tf

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 8:18 am
Do you love kids?
Wanna get out of the house part time?
Like a few extra $$?
Want company?
Like structure?
Go for it!!!
What others will think/say/view? They will anyway, regardless of what you do and that's none of your business. It's the only way to stay healthy and normal. Take care of yourself. Nothing else matters.
Hatslucha ivruche, and enjoy your new job.

DVOM

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 8:21 am
One of my boys preschool teachers this year is a grandma. My son loved her so much, and she did so much for his throughout the year. I say go for it, and be proud of the very critical and important job that you'll be doing.

On a totally separate note, no honest work should feel shameful. My husband has done all sorts of strange things to bring in extra income while in school- bussing tables for a caterer, fixing watches, driving for a preschool. Doing a job well, whatever the job, is respectable. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 8:22 am
I have a masters degree and worked in a preschool for a while after graduation during my mid-late 20's, and most of it was as an assistant. Lot of reasons why, but it's basically the same as what you're describing. I wanted the schedule, lower stress, work/life balance that I couldn't dream of having starting out in my original field... I liked it, I was happy, I did well and the kids and families were happy too, and those are the things that mattered.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics