Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Family Trip within 6 hours from Catskills

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:26 am
I’m looking to go on a family trip with Kids (baby-teens). Someplace within 6 hour drive for 2-3 days.
All suggestions welcome
Thanks

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 6:28 am
Montreal
Vermont

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 6:36 am
Lake George
Vermont
Niagara
New Hampshire
Boston
Lancaster

Mint Chocolate

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 8:28 am
Virginia. Shenandoah valley

doctorima

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 10:05 am
If you're already in the Catskills, I'd look into going north. Niagara is an obvious choice if you haven't yet been there. If you like nature, the Finger Lakes, VT, and NH are beautiful. For Canadian flavor, there's Montreal and Quebec. If you want to be on the water, check out Lake George, or a little more out-of-the-box, Thousand Islands.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 10:14 am
Are you going on vacation from vacation?

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 10:49 am
Rochester NY! Frum community, minyanim and restaurants, only 1 hour from Niagara, great attractions including the Strong Museum of Play.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 10:57 am
Amother slateblue, that's none of our business but people actually live in the Catskills year round.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 11:38 am
Ausuble Chasm. I know its just one day but it is gorgeous. Its an amazing hike and then raft ride back.

We've also done the Vermont ferry in teh area - but always took it back - maybe there is something to do on the other side?

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 11:55 am
amother wrote:
Ausuble Chasm. I know its just one day but it is gorgeous. Its an amazing hike and then raft ride back.

We've also done the Vermont ferry in teh area - but always took it back - maybe there is something to do on the other side?

We looooved this also. Can even take really little kids on the raft with a life jacket.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:
We looooved this also. Can even take really little kids on the raft with a life jacket.

Yeah we took a 1 year old in a baby carrier (they also rent them) and as long as the child fit in a life vest they could go in the raft.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 12:08 pm
Also Rickett's Glen State Park. I can't say enough how much my kids LOVED this hike.
There was also canoeing on grounds and a small beach for the younger kids - we spent a full day there. Baby went in a baby carrier.

We made a stop at Hickory Run Boulder Field which is an amazing hike and because you can see the whole area everyone was able to spread out and explore based on their abilities. I believe there is also a water fall hike somewhere in that area.

We drove to Knoebels from there (not so close but worth the drive) but if you want a 'less expensive' and fun amusement park - this place is great and has something for everyone (can buy discounted tickets from Weiss supermarket but weekday tickets are already reduced).

We rented a VRBO with a fire pit and had a great time.

doctorima

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 12:09 pm
There are 3 VT ferries, at least some of which will allow you to take your car across (for an additional fee). On the VT side, the Shelburne Museum (which is quite close to at least one of the ferry crossings) is amazing and very family-friendly; you can easily spend an entire day there!

You could go to Ausable Chasm in the morning, then take the ferry across and spend the rest of the day in VT, spend the night there, then either take the ferry back across, or you could drive down through VT (very scenic) to Jiminy Peak in the Berkshires, which the kids will love!

Fave

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 11:30 pm
Jimney Peak

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 11:39 pm
Fave wrote:
Jimney Peak

We’ve done Jiminy peak twice. We’ve gone to Vermont. I need something without hikes since I have a heavy baby that doesn’t walk yet but is to heavy to be carried all day.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 11:46 pm
If you didn't go to Niagara yet, it's wonderful trip.
There's lots to do in the Poconos as well.

salamanca

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 12:09 am
I also must chime in for Niagara Falls. It fits for the amount of days you wish to stay and it appeals to all age groups. I could go every year!

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 12:11 am
We thought of niagara but are missing an adult passport.

What is there in or near Rochester?

momX4

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:11 am
amother wrote:
Are you going on vacation from vacation?

Some people are not on vacation. They work really hard to give your kids a fun summer.

Lancaster is really fun, if you didn't do it yet.

doctorima

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 10:17 am
You can get an adult passport expedited (as quickly as overnight) for some extra money. If it will be the key to having a successful vacation, it will be money well spent.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics