Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
3 month old waking every two hours
1  2  Next

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 9:55 am
Is this normal? He’s my first so I don’t know what’s normal but usually I’ll get a “long” stretch at night for 3 hours and then it’s every two hours. Please help, I feel like a zombie! Shouldn’t he be sleeping longer by now? (I tried giving him formula to help him sleep longer and it doesn’t make a difference.There’s no rhyme or reason to his sleeping habits.)

rivkam

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 10:00 am
It is totally normal at that age. Does he sleep for a long stretch during the day? You could try wake him up after he's been asleep for three hours during the day to make sure that long stretch is at night.

My trick is to go to sleep early so that even if the baby wakes up alot, you do get more sleep.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 10:02 am
rivkam wrote:
It is totally normal at that age. Does he sleep for a long stretch during the day? You could try wake him up after he's been asleep for three hours during the day to make sure that long stretch is at night.

My trick is to go to sleep early so that even if the baby wakes up alot, you do get more sleep.

I’m lucky if he sleeps 20 minutes at a time during the day. Definitely not 3 hours.

debbie321

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 10:52 am
My dr always said if you feed them more during the day, they womt need as much at night.. .........
Also if you can, nap durong th day. Sleep brings more sleep...
They adjust..
Good luck(amd mazal tov)

hodeez

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 10:59 am
Could it be that he is reacting to something in your milk that is upsetting his stomach? That's what I had with my son. Turns out he's allergic to milk, eggs and wheat!

littleprincess

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 11:02 am
I had this with my girls (not witty my boys) . They ate every 2 hours until they were like 6 months old (including at night )
So with my youngest one dh gave one bottle at night so I can sleep (usually the midnight feed)
She's 2 now and finally started sleeping through the night.

enjoying kids

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 11:04 am
I had this with my oldest. He was and is a "sensory" kid. Try to avoid overstimulation, make sure he wears a stretchy without itchy tags/seams, use whitr noise and a baby swing...

Shendellah

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 11:09 am
My babies eat every 2-3 hrs when I exclusively breastfeed. When I go back to work (around 3 mo) I supplement with formula to get the much needed extra sleep. My kids tend to sleep longer with fuller tummies.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 11:46 am
enjoying kids wrote:
I had this with my oldest. He was and is a "sensory" kid. Try to avoid overstimulation, make sure he wears a stretchy without itchy tags/seams, use whitr noise and a baby swing...

Same here. I have one child who napped 20 min a day and woke every two hours at night until she was 14 months old. Today she is still a high intensity child.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 11:46 am
Totally normal. 3 months is pretty young to expect them to be on any kind of schedule.

It turned out that DD was reacting to lactose. Once we switched to Lacto-free formula, she slept through the night, starting at around 4 1/2 months (she also started solids early, because she had 4 teeth by then! shock )

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 11:47 am
amother wrote:
Is this normal? He’s my first so I don’t know what’s normal but usually I’ll get a “long” stretch at night for 3 hours and then it’s every two hours. Please help, I feel like a zombie! Shouldn’t he be sleeping longer by now? (I tried giving him formula to help him sleep longer and it doesn’t make a difference.There’s no rhyme or reason to his sleeping habits.)

I'm having a hard time understanding what your mean by every 2 hours but I want to help!
Is it 2 hours from when he started eating? can you give me an example of what a 24 hour shift looks like?
Do you nurse/pump/ give formula?

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 3:12 pm
amother wrote:
I'm having a hard time understanding what your mean by every 2 hours but I want to help!
Is it 2 hours from when he started eating? can you give me an example of what a 24 hour shift looks like?
Do you nurse/pump/ give formula?

Yes, two hours from the start of the feed. His schedule is all over the place. He usually goes to sleep for the night at around 10 and sleeps until 1:30 ( he used to sleep until 2 but the past few nights was 1:15-1;30), then every 2-2 1/2 hours after. In the morning hours 6-8 am he could get up every hour. Then he usually naps for an hour or more. Gets up, eats, plays, falls asleep after 45 min and repeat. At night he’s usually up for 2 hours before he goes to sleep. Yesterday and today he’s been sleepy all day. I really don’t know what’s going on and how to get him on more of a schedule. I nurse and give pumped bottles mainly when we’re out and I can’t nurse. Sometimes I give him an ounce or two of formula at night but he doesn’t like it.

Thanks for taking an interest. I hope you can help!

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 3:13 pm
hodeez wrote:
Could it be that he is reacting to something in your milk that is upsetting his stomach? That's what I had with my son. Turns out he's allergic to milk, eggs and wheat!

He’s usually so content and happy though. Is waking up enough of a symptom?

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 3:15 pm
amother wrote:
Same here. I have one child who napped 20 min a day and woke every two hours at night until she was 14 months old. Today she is still a high intensity child.

You’re scaring me! He’s such a happy baby tho. He never seems bothered by things. Could this still be true for him?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 4:16 pm
Totally normal. Many babies don’t sleep in long stretches.

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 4:20 pm
Mine did this but he was just very gassy. I gave him probitoics and he slept much better. You can do florastor or gerber soothe drops.

champagne

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 5:05 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Mine did this but he was just very gassy. I gave him probitoics and he slept much better. You can do florastor or gerber soothe drops.

Do you know if there are kosher (cholov yisroel if dairy) probiotic drops?

oneofakind

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 5:25 pm
My friend claims that if you keep them in the light during the day, make a bedtime ritual (even for a young infant) and keep them in the dark at night, it'll get them on a schedule. Worth a try. My kids had colic, no rules applied to them.

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 5:27 pm
None Chalav Yisroel I think its DE situation. You can ask your rov if its allowed for you.

clowny

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 10:49 pm
Op, your baby sounds just like my baby. Also 3 months old and I could copy/paste your post. Including those 20 minute naps during the day. Just one difference- it’s not my first and almost all my babies did this up until 6-7 months. It’s totally normal. Hang in there, it’ll pass.
Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics