Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Any way to help my body retain hydration over YK?

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 11:40 am
It might be too late but need to try something... I just came down with a cold. I don't know if this is just me or if it's a normal cold symptom because I never heard of it but maybe people just don't talk about it? When I have a cold I can't hold water. I drink because hydration is important, and it comes right out the other end. Which makes me even thirstier and drier but drinking more just means peeing more. I'm convinced that if I were to actually take measurements the water is literally just passing through my body without any effect. Like those dorky dolls with diapers.

OK, enough TMI, is there anything that can make my body retain enough water to not collapse tomorrow?! I'm not the world's greatest faster even when I start off feeling great.

hodeez

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 12:13 pm
Eating rice maybe?

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 12:20 pm
Urinary frequency during illness is a usually sign of autonomic dysfunction. In any case, electrolytes are what helps hydration get into cells. Coconut water is great for this. High doses of magnesium and b1 help with autonomic regulation, but that is a long term project.

jewwoman

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 12:27 pm
Try grape juice, or pineapple juice. It helps retain sugar.
Im with u on the cold thing I have one too. Refuah shelaima. Fast well.

simcha2

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 12:35 pm
We're big believers in drinking powerade before the fast.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 12:45 pm
Powerade works for us too. Drink at least 1 quart, and preferably closer to two, this morning.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 1:00 pm
Thanks, all. Amother gray, can you please elaborate on the autonomic thing? Never heard of it.

Going out to buy some powerade...if this thunder ever stops. Better late than never. And it's disgusting stuff, my kids are going to wonder why they never get to drink red sugary gunk.

Thunder better let up soon because I need to get our stuff to shul while it's still open for mincha Sad

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 1:02 pm
Eat watermelon. I find it helps.

Drink powerade or gatorade.

Hatzlacha!

little neshamala

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 1:08 pm
I used to be a skeptic but I tried it once and not turning back. Tons and tons of powerade/gatorade. Really helps.

tf

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 10:16 pm
Now is obviously too late,but just that you know. Water alone flushes out easily. Adding something in it helps to maintain hydration. Like lemon, juice, sugar, salt or anything you like. When the added ingredient digests in the body, the water stays as well.

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 10:30 pm
I drank pedyalite before the fast and found that it really helped me.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 10:52 pm
Seeker, how'd it go? I also had a bloomin' cold this YK and drank a lot of Powerade before the fast. Had a really uncomfortable day at home but did not become dehydrated.

amother
White

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 11:27 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
I drank pedyalite before the fast and found that it really helped me.

Pedyalite is the same as Powerade

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 11:32 pm
It's too late for this year, obviously, but drinking excessively the day of the fast does nothing.

The trick is to start consciously hydrating about a week before. This way you're going into YK with your whole body hydrated, not just an exessive amount of water in your belly which will come right out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur