Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What's the proper chinuch response?

Motek

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 11:18 pm
What's the proper chinuch response when a child asks questions like:

Where does snow come from?

Why is thunder so loud?

etc.

Do you give the scientific answer? Do you say Hashem made it? Does giving a scientific answer take away from "the Hashem made it" answer? Does it depend on the child's age?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 11:24 pm
why should a scientific answer take away from chinuch? snow can be explained by the water cycle, which Hashem created! I think if anything, giving a clear scientific answer that shows what minutae Hashem created really gives the child reason to think that the world is special. a child who asks where snow comes from and gets the answer "it comes from Hashem" probably hears it so often that s/he already knows that. "it's a result of the water cycle which Hashem created..." and then a lesson on the water cycle is much more effective, in my opinion.

the water cycle really is an amazing thing. don't you think so? doesn't thunder hold a certain wonder for you? ma rabu maasecha hashem. friction created by passing clouds... wondrous.

nicole81

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 11:30 pm
I agree with mummie. hashem created the earth, and thus all the processes that follow. but obviously hold off on the scientific explanation until the child is old enough to understand it.

TammyTammy

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 11:45 pm
Motek wrote:
What's the proper chinuch response when a child asks questions like:

Where does snow come from?

Why is thunder so loud?

etc.

Do you give the scientific answer? Do you say Hashem made it? Does giving a scientific answer take away from "the Hashem made it" answer? Does it depend on the child's age?

Any answer is going to depend on the age of the child, as well as the maturity, intellect and deportment of the child.

In any event, a scientific answer doesn't detract from the ultimate cause that HaShem did it. I can explain the water cycle to my child to his degree of understanding, but as long as I make it clear that HaShem causes it, why shouldn't s/he understand the physical explanation of it/

Tammy

Tefila

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 11:55 pm
the younger a child is taught about Hashem the more he will grow up with it.

So for a two year old I would just say Hashem makes e.g. the flowers grow whereas for a three year old I would tell them more the process in how Hashem makes flowers grow etc.

Last edited by Tefila on Tue, Oct 02 2007, 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Motek

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 11:58 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
doesn't thunder hold a certain wonder for you? ma rabu maasecha hashem. friction created by passing clouds... wondrous.

yeah, but with thunder in particular, the Gemara says that thunder was only created to soften the heart of a person, to help a person have awe and fear of Hashem and thus behave correctly

Yes, I think that explanations about expanding air creating a booming sound take away from the fearful aspect. In fact, parents might give the scientific explanation for just that purpose, to do away with the fear by saying, it's only expanding air, nothing to be afraid of dear ...

TammyTammy

Post Wed, Oct 03 2007, 12:01 am
Motek wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:
doesn't thunder hold a certain wonder for you? ma rabu maasecha hashem. friction created by passing clouds... wondrous.

yeah, but with thunder in particular, the Gemara says that thunder was only created to soften the heart of a person, to help a person have awe and fear of Hashem and thus behave correctly

Yes, I think that explanations about expanding air creating a booming sound take away from the fearful aspect. In fact, parents might give the scientific explanation for just that purpose, to do away with the fear by saying, it's only expanding air, nothing to be afraid of dear ...

Sorry, but I don't think it takes away from it.

Another good example is a rainbow. The purpose is to remind us of the Mabul, but it's caused by refraction of light through water droplets. Nonetheless, you can still say that its purpose is to remind one of the Mabul.

Tammy

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 03 2007, 12:07 am
motek--
I'm afraid I don't understand. to me, the explanation increases awe of Hashem, which adds to the potential for fear of Him. I see no discrepancy between the two. parents may use an explanation in order to help the child overcome the fear of thunder. not to overcome the fear of G-d.[/u]

nicole81

Post Wed, Oct 03 2007, 12:10 am
I'm a grown woman and I know all about the scientific explanation of thunder. in fact to lessen my fear, my (not frum) mother told me it was g-d going bowling in heaven growing up. sounds non threatening enough, yet I still jump every time the lightening is close by and the thunder is deafening.

I don't see how someone *can't* be awestruck and inspired when they see or hear the lighting.

gryp

Post Wed, Oct 03 2007, 12:11 am
Quote:
Yes, I think that explanations about expanding air creating a booming sound take away from the fearful aspect

And what if the kids aren't scared to being with? Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics