Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Training at nap/night question

smiley:)

Post Fri, Oct 05 2007, 4:23 am
So my son is toilet trained for the most part. He still has an accident here or there, though most of the time it is on the way to the potty... he just leaves running there till last minute and then makes on the way. I noticed that since he has been toilet trained (a week or so) he is dry and nap and bed time. He didnt use to be. Should I take off his diaper for nap and bed time? Someone said if I dont do it now he will come to rely on his diaper for bed time and then he will start wetting it while he didnt now.

One reason I am scared to take it off.... When he changed from a crib to a bed (1/2 yr ago) he was still so used to calling for me to pick him out of the crib that still now he doesnt get out of his bed in the morning. He calls for me and waits in his bed till I come. I have told him many times he could get out on his own but he doesnt. Also sometimes on hotter days I leave a water bottle next to his bed and tell him he could get out to get it. He really hesitates to. So while I will tell him he could call me to go to the bathroom or go on his own, I am scared he wont.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 05 2007, 4:35 am
My son is really toilet trained (no accidents) but I keep a diaper on him at night. He does not wear one for naps and basically wakes up dry 75% of the time but for those other 25%... I got sick of doing all his linens. I am not the type to leave any pishy smell at all in the bed. I don't think he is relying on the diaper for anything, it just makes life easier for me. None of my 4 others still wear diapers so I am not worried he will never make the transition (the others are 22, 17, 14 and 8 LOL )

Post Fri, Oct 05 2007, 4:39 am
Right, the question is does he become more reliant on it for those times as time passes?
And what (other than not wanting to change linens0 which will be the same issue later) is the reason to not change him now? Will he learn any better not to make in his diaper at night as time passes? Am I just pushing it off, or trying to accomplish something. I am also not into ripping securities away... Like I could have taken away his pacifiers at night but decided not to bc we were moving and he should have a security etc. I dont want to make him feel overly insecure all at once by taking his diapers away at night too but I dont want him to learn he can make them wet at night, when now its not as much of an issue.

Marion

Post Fri, Oct 05 2007, 6:22 am
If you're worried about it you could stop using the diaper at nap time first, and wait a bit longer to see about the all night one.

shalhevet

Post Fri, Oct 05 2007, 6:41 am
You could choose to change to Pull-Ups - they protect, but also have a picture that vanishes if it gets wet. So you could make a chart for every night he's dry, which will encourage him to not just lie in bed in the morning and not bother to go to the toilet.

It will also bolster the 'big boy' idea, that he's finished with diapers (though they are more expensive, but since my son is also dry most nights I reuse them about 3 times if they stay dry).

OTOH, I have pretty much found that a child who's ready will stay dry, and one who doesn't, can't. Except, like I said, when they don't bother to get up before/after sleeping.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 05 2007, 6:59 am
Maybe do what I did and see what happens at night: if he's consistantly dry then you know he doesn't need the diaper. If he pishes 2-3 nights in a row, you know he's not ready to be dry at night. I have been using the same diaper for about 5 nights in a row, till the tabs don't close anymore. He's dry. But then came Yom Tov and everything was off, including his schedule and he did make in the diaper - just a bit but still. It's just easier to use a 1 shekel diaper (over and over) than do laundry.
Keep in mind that your son is very young, and boys sometimes take longer to be dry in general, during the night in particular. Do whatever is best for you and don't read books written by people who probably have 1 kid and someone to do all the cleaning and laundry. Keep your strength for the important things.
I don't agree with the pull up things that Shalhevet wrote about. I think that if a kid is dry, he gets underwear and if not, he gets a diaper. Who am I fooling buying a diaper that looks like underwear? The only one benefitting is the manufacturer - pull-ups are much more expensive and don't last as long (I did use them for one kid as someone had handed them down to me. I never bought my own, didn't think they were worth it). I don't use the diaper as a boosha thing, nothing embarassing about a kid needing one.

creativemommyto3

Post Fri, Oct 05 2007, 8:22 am
hi, both of my boys slept with the diaper for almost a year after they didn't have accidents during the day. I waited until they asked to take it off b/c then I knew that they were determined to do it.

Post Fri, Oct 05 2007, 8:29 am
I put him in for a nap today without the diaper. We'll see....
I am not putting down the pull ups idea for everyone but for myself (or my son!) I feel like he wont necessarily see a difference between the diaper or pull up. If he will become reliant on the diaper (since he wont get wet that way when he sleeps) I would think he would become reliant on the pull ups the same way.
He sure isnt the type to lie in bed in the morning. If he makes it would be when he sleeps. The second his eye lids open (sometimes even before) he starts calling "imma, Imma" to come get him. I did mention he has energy, huh? :-)

Post Sat, Oct 06 2007, 3:47 pm
Well I am sure we'll have ups and downs (especially since he woudnt eat all day till right before bedtime ofcourse) but so far he woke up from 2 nap times and 1 bedtime dry. I hope writing this wont give me bad luck! Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Sat, Oct 06 2007, 9:09 pm
I had that with one of my kids. She got up dry all the time, so after a few days I stopped putting her to bed with a diaper. Yes, there were some accidents, but they were few and far between. And like you said, that stage of having to change linen every few days happens at one point anyway. I learned her cues, IE she would cry in her sleep at about 10ish (she went to sleep at 7ish with a bottle) and I would take her to the bathroom even if she said she didnt need bc she was disoriented. She always needed and after a while she stopped having to go while asleep and has BH been dry ever since Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training