Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
So tight- can't breathe!
1  2  Next

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 11:39 am
In the last few months, we've been so extremely tight financially!
Husband works as shadow and gets paid by the hour so didn't get paid for one month over summer, then for over YT. Also, one of the places he's employed by pays at end of Oct for month of Sept! So we still didn't see most of the little bit of money he earned. So we've had no money for anything! Plus his pay is less than it was last year altogether.
This morning I had $17 in our bank account, now he got paid for 2 hours, so there's a little more.
We have auto payments and postdated checks left and right and I've had to ask the whole world to hold off on depositing until this Friday, when I get paid, so it will all be gone before we blink!
I've been buying food by credit card bec no other way and don't know how will pay the credit card, which is already sky high.
Between owing money for summer camps (which had no choice to send as both parents work), shoes and clothing for summer and YT and back to school, uniforms, school supplies, tuition, food, rent and utilities, daycare, various medical costs, and of course exorbitant health insurance premiums, we're absolutely choking!
We already took as much tzedaka as we were able to over YT just for basic food and YT expenses and still barely made it!
We both looked into other job options and sent out our resumes to many positions but so far nothing materialized. Help!
Thanks for listening.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 11:49 am
amother wrote:
In the last few months, we've been so extremely tight financially!
Husband works as shadow and gets paid by the hour so didn't get paid for one month over summer, then for over YT. Also, one of the places he's employed by pays at end of Oct for month of Sept! So we still didn't see most of the little bit of money he earned. So we've had no money for anything! Plus his pay is less than it was last year altogether.
This morning I had $17 in our bank account, now he got paid for 2 hours, so there's a little more.
We have auto payments and postdated checks left and right and I've had to ask the whole world to hold off on depositing until this Friday, when I get paid, so it will all be gone before we blink!
I've been buying food by credit card bec no other way and don't know how will pay the credit card, which is already sky high.
Between owing money for summer camps (which had no choice to send as both parents work), shoes and clothing for summer and YT and back to school, uniforms, school supplies, tuition, food, rent and utilities, daycare, various medical costs, and of course exorbitant health insurance premiums, we're absolutely choking!
We already took as much tzedaka as we were able to over YT just for basic food and YT expenses and still barely made it!
We both looked into other job options and sent out our resumes to many positions but so far nothing materialized. Help!
Thanks for listening.

Are you getting any kind of public assistance from the govt? At this point I’d say, daven, daven, daven and do as much hishtadlut that you can. Remember, Hashem can help change things in the blink of an eye. Hatzlacha!

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 11:50 am
That's so hard I really feel you I am always short by the end if the summer then comes back to school and yt expenses even being super frugle it still cost we are just starting to be able to catch up and regular bills and then we have to work on the cc that we where using since this summer we came up short even earlier the usual.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 11:53 am
https://www.mesila.org/

Have you tried this organization? There may be other organizations in your area that help with job placement.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 11:59 am
southernbubby wrote:
https://www.mesila.org/

Have you tried this organization? There may be other organizations in your area that help with job placement.

yes, thanks, met with them last year, didn't really connect.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:06 pm
Is he fulltime? What do you do... are you fullrime? Can you work at home in the evenings?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:08 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
Is he fulltime? What do you do... are you fullrime? Can you work at home in the evenings?

No, he's part time but wasn't able to come up with anything else so far. I'm full time and am not allowed to work for anyone else, based on my contract.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:
yes, thanks, met with them last year, didn't really connect.

What city do you live in?

There are some jobs that may pay a bit better than being a shadow such as pharmacy tech which doesn't require much training. I see ads for all types of lower level health technicians in NY and wonder if these would at least guarantee a better income and pay schedule than shadowing. There may be jobs managing apartments that pay better.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:14 pm
southernbubby wrote:
What city do you live in?

There are some jobs that may pay a bit better than being a shadow such as pharmacy tech which doesn't require much training. I see ads for all types of lower level health technicians in NY and wonder if these would at least guarantee a better income and pay schedule than shadowing. There may be jobs managing apartments that pay better.

Thanks, those wouldn't work for my husband.

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:22 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks, those wouldn't work for my husband.

So I guess the question is, why havent you been able to come up with anything (you saod in another comment) and and why wouldnt these suggestions work? Is he willing to do different types of work?

The other question, the more important one really, is what are you looking for from this thread? If its just to vent, my apologies for asking questions. Please vent away. Just please know that people are just trying to help.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:23 pm
So maybe he could tutor in addition to shadowing or he could have a part time business. Or he could sub part time.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:26 pm
I’m also in a similar situation. I’m desperate for part time work. Dh only working part time at the moment. Things are very tight I’m basically living off savings which is terrible

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
I’m also in a similar situation. I’m desperate for part time work. Dh only working part time at the moment. Things are very tight I’m basically living off savings which is terrible

Maybe you can tell us where you live and what your skills are and someone here will have a lead or job to offer?

groisamomma

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:34 pm
OP, I could have written your post. Unfortunately all that in addition to a lot more. I don't have any ideas but you certainly have my sympathy!!!

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 12:38 pm
watergirl wrote:
Maybe you can tell us where you live and what your skills are and someone here will have a lead or job to offer?

I’m in Btooklyn. Dh looking for accounting related work. I’m open to anything that will work with my kids schedule. I only have a BA in psych

Don’t mean to derail op but just commiserating that it’s very hard

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 2:59 pm
If your husband has experience with special needs kids what about working after school hours with SN kids at home? I think it is called a res hab or something like that.

http://www.hasccenter.org/comm.....n.php

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 4:03 pm
Get on foodstamps, Medicaid, etc.
My state has income eligibility guidelines for reduced electric bills, and something similar for gas. I think water has a small reduction.

I am so sorry to hear that you're struggling this badly.
Can your husband find some other work during the summer, like shadowing in a camp or tutoring? And some type of freelance job yearround, including YT?

fmt4

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 5:15 pm
What do you mean by shadowing? What job is that?

Reality

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 5:17 pm
A shadow is another term for a para. Its a para that is designated to help one specific student as opposed to a para that is a classroom assistant.

ysydmom

Post Mon, Oct 15 2018, 6:18 pm
If you PM me I have some ideas for you. Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics