Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
$15,000 Bail for attempted murder and hate?

Mevater

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 7:45 am
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

The Boro Park community was first up in arms after learning that the Muslim man who attacked an elderly Hasidic Jewish man would not be charged with a hate crime, an outrageous and unexplained decision by Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez.

The community was further outraged to learn that the suspect was released on bail – and a mere $15,000.

Adding insult to injury, the judge who made the bail decision is actually a member of the Boro Park Hasidic community, Judge (Mrs.) Ruchie Freier, of “Ezras Nashim” fame. Freier was sworn in on Dec. 22, 2016 and took the bench on Jan. 3, 2017. She was elected as a civil court judge, but ended up being assigned to criminal court by the Office of Court Administration. At the time she told the media she uses her religious values and faith as a guiding force in her decisions from the bench.

“It doesn’t mean being soft on crime. It means being an understanding judge,” she said. “You have somebody and you can impress upon them, ‘You’re responsible for your actions.'”

How does this make sense? Is this simply a case where a Chassidic Jewish Judge didnt want to seem to be too "pro-Chassidic Jewish" and wanted to publicly show mercy for the Muslim? How is she explaining this?

Maya

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 7:59 am
Attempted murder? It’s a real stretch to call it that.

The judge must have been in a really tough position, and I’m going to imagine she treated him in a manner similar to others charged with a similar crime. That should be her guiding principle, not the nationality or religion of the perp/victim.

Teacher_EW

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 8:03 am
Bail for assualt can legally be set anywhere from $1,500 to $25,000. She set bail at $15,000 which is the upper end of the spectrum. The judge doesn't make the law... she has to apply it fairly. She cant start denying bail or making it out of the ordinary, just because she is a frum woman and the victim was Jewish. The real question is why the DA wouldn't charge this animal with a hate crime, but that's a different story...

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 8:08 am
Sometimes it's the problem with a Jewish judge or President or whatever. I don't envy her.

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 10:55 am
This is clearly a hate crime. The man was being beaten in the middle of the street. I agree it is attempted murder.

I further agree the perpetrator is an animal.

Mevater

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 11:58 am
Maya wrote:
Attempted murder? It’s a real stretch to call it that.

The merciless beating that we clearly see on youtube isnt attempted murder?

leah233

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:07 pm
While it's outrageous not to treat this as a hate crime (just imagine if it was the other way around...) Mrs. Freier was not the one who made that decision. It was the DA.

Once that decision was made there is a limit on how much bail she could set.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:08 pm
What?!? I’m sorry I always like her...

It is clearly a hate crime. What else is the motivation behind the beating? Did they give any plausible explanation to his motivation if it wasn’t hate???

Fox

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:09 pm
As appalling as this crime was, it seems like the judge ruled appropriately. Obviously, of course, we aren't necessarily privy to all the evidence.

However, this is a good illustration of the problems of "hate crime" legislation. Adding penalties to offenses motivated by hate is one of those ideas that sounds so good that nobody stopped to say, "Hey, this doesn't make a lick of sense!"

Most statutes have language that defines a hate crime as motivated "substantially or significantly" by hate. But that satisfies no one, since motivation is often hard to prove. In other words, you can be a criminal who is hateful but assaults someone for an entirely different reason. Or you can be a criminal who deliberately picks your victim based on hate without doing anything during the actual commission of the crime that reveals your hatred.

The idea of hate crimes assumes that crimes targeting protected classes take place for straightforward, unambiguous reasons. Unfortunately, criminals are not always cooperative in keeping their motivations clear.

At its worst, the concept of hate crimes can actually make it more difficult to get a complete picture of a crime. Much of the hate crime legislation now on the books was passed in response to the murder of Matthew Shepard, a gay college student in Wyoming, whose death was attributed to anti-gay sentiment largely on the initial testimony of one of the perpetrator's girlfriends, later recanted.

Subsequent investigation by journalists, though, has revealed that the true cause of the crime was likely rooted in a drug trade dispute, and a number of people who knew the victim and perpetrators have since come forth to say that they were reluctant to hurt Shepard's family further or undermine attention to LGBT advocacy by telling authorities that there was likely a significant drug connection.

So in the end, it may be better to simply say, "We actually don't care why you committed this crime. If you assault someone, you're going to jail, whether you did it because the guy was part of a group you hate; because you have anger issues; or because the victim, in addition to being a black Jewish transgender lesbian, was a real jerk whom everybody wanted to assault."

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:15 pm
I wish this would have been classified as the hate crime it was!

leah233

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:16 pm
Fox wrote:
As appalling as this crime was, it seems like the judge ruled appropriately. Obviously, of course, we aren't necessarily privy to all the evidence.

However, this is a good illustration of the problems of "hate crime" legislation. Adding penalties to offenses motivated by hate is one of those ideas that sounds so good that nobody stopped to say, "Hey, this doesn't make a lick of sense!"

snip

So in the end, it may be better to simply say, "We actually don't care why you committed this crime. If you assault someone, you're going to jail, whether you did it because the guy was part of a group you hate; because you have anger issues; or because the victim, in addition to being a black Jewish transgender lesbian, was a real jerk whom everybody wanted to assault."

In general sense this is true but the ways things stand today, in a place as liberal as NYC, "assaulting someone in a case of mistaken identity" is not a crime which is taken seriously.

A hate crime is from the few violent crimes that liberals punish. Therefore not labeling it as a hate crime is (1)basically letting the assailant off the hook (2)showing those who are looking to commit similar crimes that it won't be taken seriously or face any severe punishment

iyar

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:20 pm
I agree she found herself in a difficult position.
I have nothing against the judge personally, but this is only one of the reasons I don't like to see Jews, particularly Orthodox Jews, in positions of power in the government or the judiciary.
People are so taken with ideas of democracy and equality that they'd like to forget we're in galus. That doesn't change the fact that we are.
We're better off using our rights to put fair minded, intelligent members of the general public in office.
(I'm not expecting applause for expressing the way I feel about this Wink )

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:33 pm
Who decides if it's a hate crime, the prosecutor or the arresting officers?

SuperWify

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:36 pm
Hate crime or not... Just wondering why it’s safe to have such a violent man on the streets?

Mevater

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 12:42 pm
Two comments on Jihadwatch, worth pondering:

https://www.jihadwatch.org/201.....ments

tedh754 says

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:00 pm

Lets see what happens when they start beating up homosexuals like they do in Amsterdam.

mortimer says

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:06 pm

That is what the Leftards call a ‘HATE CRIME’ … isn’t it?

Oh, I see! In the opinion of LEFTARDS, it isn’t a ‘HATE CRIME’ when MUSLIMS do it.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Oct 20 2018, 2:22 pm
I'm not sure what Amsterdam has to do with it, homosexuals are attacked all over
Let's not call others leftards and fascists and stuff? Since when did this become acceptable?

chestnut

Post Sat, Oct 20 2018, 8:29 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I wish this would have been classified as the hate crime it was!

Hate crime charge has been added yesterday

Fox

Post Sat, Oct 20 2018, 8:51 pm
leah233 wrote:
In general sense this is true but the ways things stand today, in a place as liberal as NYC, "assaulting someone in a case of mistaken identity" is not a crime which is taken seriously.

A hate crime is from the few violent crimes that liberals punish. Therefore not labeling it as a hate crime is (1)basically letting the assailant off the hook (2)showing those who are looking to commit similar crimes that it won't be taken seriously or face any severe punishment

Excellent point!

Jettisoning the whole hate crime concept requires also rejecting defense arguments like, "Your honor, my client was unaware that attacking infidels is against NY state law."

Mevater

Post Sat, Oct 20 2018, 9:37 pm
What was Eric Gonzalez thinking, originally, when he didnt call it a hate crime, if Afzal yelled "Allah, Allah"?

This seems so clear cut.

"Kings Country District Attorney Eric Gonzalez decided to include the hate-crime distinction following an outcry from the Jewish community. Farrukh Afzal, 37, originally faced charges of assault, criminal mischief and harassment, but the vicious beating was not initially defined as a hate crime despite Afzal having yelled "Allah, Allah," during the attack."

https://www.israelnationalnews.....53525
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics