Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Simcha newbie here - I need help with a cost breakdown pls!!

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 12:37 pm
I am making a simcha IY"H for the first time, ever.
I have absolutely no clue whatsoever how much things should cost.
Can someone please help me with what a normal price is for the following:

-photographer (one person taking stills, no add-ons like a photo booth or whatnot) - does pricing usually go by the hour, by the party, something else? Does it cost extra to get an album/prints or digital pics? Does it cost extra to get table shots?

-videographer (again -does pricing usually go by the hour, by the party, something else? Does it cost extra to get an edited DVD?

-balloon centerpieces - does it go by the elaborateness (if that's a word) of the centerpiece? By table? Something else?

-DJ for Jewish music plus two dance 'motivators'

-invitations (is it better to try and get e-mail addresses and do paperless post or some other online invite)?

-benchers

This is for the NY area if that makes a difference.
bonus question: if you've made a simcha in NYC/LI recently and have any vendors to recommend I would appreciate it!!!
Thank you for your help! I wish I could invite you all!

doctorima

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 12:49 pm
Mazal tov! Take a deep breath; you're not the first one to do this, and you'll make it through just like the rest of them did. As for your questions, is this for a wedding or Bar Mitzvah? For weddings, the photographer (and possibly videographer) will likely have a standard package that includes prints and one album for the couple and a smaller one for each set of mechutanim. Table pics included.

For Bar Mitzvahs, it usually goes by the hour, and to save money, you can just get a CD with the pics that you can print or make into an album yourself. Video editing will usually not be included and costs more.

Centerpieces - usually priced per table, with price per unit varying based on "elaborateness"

Invitations - maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I really don't like e-invites. Considering how much you're spending on everything else, a couple hundred for traditional paper invites isn't a major expense and is much classier.

Bentchers - usually minimum order of 100, price per unit depends on how fancy it is

DJ - for wedding will be standard, for Bar Mitzvah probably per hour. No idea about dance motivators.

Hatzlacha, you can do it!

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 12:54 pm
Bar Mitzvah

Any idea about actual prices? I need to start getting quotes but I have no idea what's cheap vs. normal vs. expensive vs. crazy astronomical!

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:
Bar Mitzvah

Any idea about actual prices? I need to start getting quotes but I have no idea what's cheap vs. normal vs. expensive vs. crazy astronomical!

Reach out to a few vendors who's work/style you like and compare.
A few photographers that I can name off the top of my head are:
Abbie Sophia
Srivki weisberg
Naftoli goldgrab

They are not the same style, but get quotes..

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 1:57 pm
Abbie Sophia looks like a crazy amount of money. but maybe normal. this is why I am in a panic. I have no idea how much anything is supposed to cost.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 2:33 pm
Dance motivators??? IYH there will be simcha and joy! I have never heard of this.

doctorima

Post Tue, Oct 23 2018, 3:03 pm
It really depends on your budget and priorities. You can get a photographer just to take stills before the event for $150 or less, or to stay for the entire event for $400-$500 (with a CD, prints are extra). You can find a one-man band for a few hundred, or get someone really popular and good for more. Centerpieces you can get from a gemach and needn't cost a lot. Bentchers should be $100-$150, invitations maybe double that (don't forget postage). The biggest expense will be the hall and caterer, which you didn't mention, as well as kiddush if you're making a nice one.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 10:55 am
bump

help appreciated please

I have a price quote for 200 an hour from a photographer and DJ is 900 for 3 hours
I have caterer quotes from 29 pp to 40 pp
are these prices normal in NY
is it possible to find cheaper but good and if so who

doctorima

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 11:59 am
There are photographers for $100-$150 per hour, especially if you're doing the entire event. You can also find DJs for less than $900. The caterer quotes sound reasonable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics