Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
How to add spirituality to my house?
Previous  1  2

Sleepymama

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 12:56 pm
Thank you for starting this thread OP! I could use these suggestions too! I remember listening to a chinuch shiur by rebbetzsin Heller about infusing spiritually into your children. It had a lot of the above examples but also so much more - I remember I was was a totally different mother for months after listening to it. Wish I new what it was called. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:00 pm
Personally, I think that stories in books and on CDs won't have anywhere near as much of an impact as what you do and say.

I say Boruch Hashem/thank you Hashem when something good happens, I play jewish songs (Yaakov Shwekey and 8th day are my favorites) and sing along, I let my kids see me bentch, I talk about Hashem and mitzvos and moshiach.

my little 4 year old has picked up on boruch Hashem already.

dbw

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:01 pm
Yes, Reb. Heller's chinuch shiurim are on Naaleh.com and were also transcribed in her book, "The Balancing Act."

Sleepymama

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:49 pm
dbw wrote:
Yes, Reb. Heller's chinuch shiurim are on Naaleh.com and were also transcribed in her book, "The Balancing Act."

Thanks!

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 3:35 pm
I just want to add that ten is very young. Many (most?) boys are not spiritually inclined at that age, and it's not a bad thing that he's trying on careers for size (an attorney is better than a farmer, which is what my son wanted to be at that age!)

Let him blossom in his own way, is the best advice anyone can give you. And if he's in a typical Lakewood yeshivah, he's getting plenty of spirituality there, so I wouldn't worry at all. Most boys don't really get into learning until at least high school, in my (not so limited) experience, so again, there's really no point in worrying so far ahead of time.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 3:43 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I just want to add that ten is very young. Many (most?) boys are not spiritually inclined at that age, and it's not a bad thing that he's trying on careers for size (an attorney is better than a farmer, which is what my son wanted to be at that age!)

Let him blossom in his own way, is the best advice anyone can give you. And if he's in a typical Lakewood yeshivah, he's getting plenty of spirituality there, so I wouldn't worry at all. Most boys don't really get into learning until at least high school, in my (not so limited) experience, so again, there's really no point in worrying so far ahead of time.

This makes me feel so much better. Thank you. He’s my oldest.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 4:45 pm
We make shabbos preps and yom tov preps hands on and exciting. The kids all help out and we bake/ cook/ prepare in fun ways.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics