Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Sefer Torah 'toy'? Does anyone have one?

groovy1224

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 12:31 pm
My 5 y.o. son wants one of those mini 'toy' sifrei torah they sell in Judaica stores.

Does anyone have one? If so- are they meant to be played with? Is it shaimos? He wants to be able to play with it like a pretend shul. We have a plush sefer torah but he wants one that can be opened and closed like a real one.

They aren't expensive exactly, but aren't cheap and I'm afraid they're meant more to be kept in a box and danced with by Simchas Torah.

Does anyone have one that can advise?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 1:08 pm
I only take it out simchas torah. Mines are sheimos and not meant to play with.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 1:12 pm
I have one too, my in-laws buy them for all the grandsons for their upsherin. I believe it’s shaimos and we didn’t let my son use it until he was a little older, as a three-year-old he would’ve trashed it Wink but I think a 5-year-old could probably handle it carefully. He’s 10 now and still likes to use it sometimes though he won’t bring it to shul for simchas Torah anymore.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 1:13 pm
It’s on the same category as a Chumash, just much more expensive.
Would you let him play with a Chumash?
The fake sifrei Torah have Hashems name printed. I’m wondering if there is one available without Hashems name? That might be better for a 5 year old to play with.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 1:18 pm
I don’t think they have Hashems name printed. But we had one that just had pictures in it. I think that one should be fine for your son.

simba

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 1:19 pm
Mine has a laminated roll of paper inside so it’s decentl sturdy. It does not have pesukim. It has Alef-bais and some other random stuff. I can tell you if you want the brand and what’s in it later when I’m home.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 1:19 pm
Hm okay so doesn't sound like a great idea. He would be as careful as possible but he wants to play 'shul' with it, and I don't think he should be doing that with something that has Hashem's name in it.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 1:20 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I don’t think they have Hashems name printed. But we had one that just had pictures in it. I think that one should be fine for your son.

Oh so they must make different ones. I'll call the store and ask. Thanks!

groovy1224

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 1:20 pm
simba wrote:
Mine has a laminated roll of paper inside so it’s decentl sturdy. It does not have pesukim. It has Alef-bais and some other random stuff. I can tell you if you want the brand and what’s in it later when I’m home.

Yes, please!

keym

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 1:34 pm
simba wrote:

I would love to hear the brand also.
My in-laws bought one for each of my boys upsherins but they are sheimos.
My four year old loves to play shul but I don't let him use his Torah because it feels very flimsy and has Shem Hashem.

goodmorning

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 1:41 pm
My son's toy sefer Torah has aleph bais (with and without nekudos) and some easy-to-read words. No sheim Hashem, but two complete pesukim (Toras Hashem temima and Torah tziva, one at each end). It's not laminated, but the paper is sturdier than regular paper.

He loves playing shul with it, and we try to enforce respect of it (no leaving it on the floor, for example).

The brand is "Chagim Yerushalayim."

Seas

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 2:31 pm
simba wrote:

This. DH doesn't allow the ones that are just mini sifrei torah on paper.

123Smile

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 2:43 pm
My son has one from Mefoir “kuppala” it just has pictures from each Parsha.

CHAYA R

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 2:44 pm
My son got 2 at his upsherin. One is with pictures that he uses...its onky a few months old and torn. The other one he got isnt with poctures so that I put away for simchas torah. Well I didnt think he would get 2 but since this is the case...he loves it.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 2:49 pm
Thanks everyone for your help! So glad I asked I didn't realize they even made ones that weren't shaimos! You guy's just made my son's chanukah! Wink

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 2:53 pm
Mine has pictures inside. It’s really cute. The kids used to play with it.

mandr

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 3:44 pm
My son has one from age 3 by Keter. It’s laminated and doesn’t tear. He has it for two years and literally plays with it all the time. It’s probably more often out of the closet than in and it’s held up really well. I had to glue the handle in once but that’s because it fell from really high up. It cost about $60 at the judaica store. It’s the best gift! That together with a mini Tallis set is a perfect way to play shul! It comes with a silver pointer hand thing and a velvet cover that goes around. It looks really authentic. The inside has aleph bais, some portions of the Torah and the brachos for the Torah bit it’s not sheimos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers