Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
If you daven every day from a siddur, can you please help?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:07 pm
I'm trying to get into davening each day from a siddur for about half a year now. I am bt and my kids are older so I feel it's the right time. I've tried several times in the past but this is the longest I've been consistent. This is what I say

Modeh Ani
Al netiyat yadayim/ Asher Yatzar
Torah brachos
Morning brachos

Baruch sheamar - ashrei- yishtabach

Brachos before shema until end of shemoneh esrei

Ashrei - lmnachzeach - uvalitzion - aleinu

My questions.

1. Does it sound like I am choosing the right things to say?

2. I usually say morning brachos and even up to yistashach pretty early. The rest sometimes I am delayed by kids/work etc. If I am delayed past chatzot what should I do? Especially if it is not yet time for mincha?

3. I'm thinking about trying to add more of pesukei dzimra. Which are the best bits to say? Or is it better to do adon Olam / yigdal?

4. Or would I be better trying to say another shemoneh esrei at mincha?

5. Separate question. Other than shema and hamapil , which are the best bits to say for kriyat shema al hamita?

Thanks for your help.

cookiewriter

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:14 pm
All I can say is wow. I’m ffb and very jealous. May Hashem rain blessings down on you!

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:20 pm
Birchas hashchar, birchas hatorah ans krias shema are most important every day.

If you have more time- baruch sheamer, ashrei, yishtabach.

That’s how we learned in school.

You’re amazing btw.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:21 pm
3. I'm thinking about trying to add more of pesukei dzimra. Which are the best bits to say? Or is it better to do adon Olam / yigdal?

Pesukei dzuma is better

4. Or would I be better trying to say another shemoneh esrei at mincha?
Yes se is more important

5. Separate question. Other than shema and hamapil , which are the best bits to say for kriyat shema al hamita?

Ribono shel olam before I find very meaningful.
Hamalach hagoel
I like to say the repeating verses

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:22 pm
Please don't be jealous. I'm lucky I don't work crazy hours so I have time for this. I'm sure you do other very important good things that I don't even dream about. But at least from what you said I think I should stop feeling guilty about not saying all of pesukei dzimra yet. Thanks for the bracha.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:25 pm
Ectomorph are you saying mincha is more important than pz?

And I'm glad the repeating verses in bedtime shema are higher priority because they're easier to learn /remember.

esuss

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:26 pm
1. That is exactly perfect. And a lot more than most of us are saying.
2. If you missed chatzot then you should wait for mincha to say shemona esrei. And I don't think you could say the brochos of Krias shema anymore but you could say shema any time of the day.
3. Not sure what is correct answer.
4. Yes better to wait for mincha is you miss chatzot.
5. I was actually told specifically not to say hamapil. Not sure why but just to say Krias shema.

keym

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:26 pm
I'm going to have to say, speak to your LOR. Depending on your shitta and derech, there are different shitos what takes precedent and what time to say them.
My rav holds I should attempt birchos hashachar, birchas hatorah, shema (all three parshios) and ideally a shmoneh esrei every day. But there are different deadlines. Birchas hatorah before I say any Torah, birchos hashachar before I eat or drink, shma by chatzos, shmoneh esrei sometime over the day.
But different people have different shitos.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:27 pm
Instead of parts after shmoneh esrei, prioritize certain parts of pesukei dezimra, specifically the 3rd and last halelukahs.

In HS we learned the priority list as found in back of art scroll siddur, in the standard English ashkenaz siddur it's halacha 30, " instructions for the latecomers"

Halevai I still davened like that

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:28 pm
amother wrote:
Ectomorph are you saying mincha is more important than pz?

And I'm glad the repeating verses in bedtime shema are higher priority because they're easier to learn /remember.

What is pz?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:30 pm
I don't have a Rav I'm comfortable with which is why I am asking here. Some of you will say that this is wrong but I still think you can get good guidelines from people who have learned more than you even if they are not a rabbi.

May

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:30 pm
You should really ask a Rav, because it is a bit complex.

The paragraphs before shma and between shma before shmone esrei shouldn't be said after zman krias shema. You can look up that time on a zmanim chart/app. Best if shmea is said before that time too. Then there is zman tefilla by which shmone esrei should be said. That's what I was told, but that might depend on your particular derech. My Rav is very particular about zmanim, other derachim many not be as much.

Based on the above, I think if you only have limited time in the morning, to try to say brachos, shema and shmone esrei. I think it's better to day those at the proper time than to say the toner things early (shrei, yistabach) And say say shma and shmone esrei after the zman. It's possible you can say that other parts later, but find out.

If you are looking to add parts of psukei dizmra, yehi kavod is really holy. Also the Hallalukas, I heard numbers 1,3,5 are more of a priority than comes numbers 2 and 4.

Either way, keep it up!

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:32 pm
In the arrscroll you'll see the priority list for shacharis, but bare bones is birchos hatorah, birches hashachar, shema shemoneh esrei

It might be inserting for you to read halacha #8 too.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:32 pm
amother wrote:
What is pz?

I meant pesukei dzimra. Was being lazy.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:43 pm
Thanks to whoever said to look at "instructions for latecomers", that's halacha 30 in the back of the Artscroll and was very helpful. Halacha 8 I had seen before and it's part of why started with the brachos after and then before shema because they seemed more important than some of the earlier parts that I was already saying (morning brachos and torah brachos).

Curious to know why someone was told not to say haMapil as I am still learning it.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:56 pm
OP, you might find the English sefer Rigshei Lev by R' Menachem Nissel helpful. It's hashkafa and halacha of davening for women. It includes details on priorities for davening like many of the questions you are asking.

(ETA: there's also a Hebrew version of Rigshei Lev if you prefer that over the English.)

penguin

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 7:14 pm
Quote:
The paragraphs before shma and between shma before shmone esrei shouldn't be said after zman krias shema.
I learned you can say them until zman tefilah.

Also I am pretty sure you can't daven mincha right after chatzos, you need to check a luach but I think it's an hour or so later.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 7:21 pm
penguin wrote:

Also I am pretty sure you can't daven mincha right after chatzos, you need to check a luach but I think it's an hour or so later.

Yes I know this. The zman for mincha begins at half an halachic hour after chatzot. I have a smart siddur on the phone that gives me all the zmanim.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 7:39 pm
Wow im super impressed by all that you daven.
A comment od make is that its really not best to talk between boruch sheomar and shmone esrei, so if you need to break up davening id try keeping that in mind.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions