Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Cant afford teacher/therapist gifts
Previous  1  2

nchr

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 8:54 pm
keym wrote:
I like to do homemade cookies using Chanuka cookie cutters on those cheap garish Happy Chanuka plates. The whole thing costs only a few dollars, I could make 10 trays or so, and it looks very Chanukadik. I always try to include a nice note.

I second this idea. In addition, when you give them the gift, make sure to reiterate just how grateful you are (I.e. "gifts would not do justice..").

teachkids

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:31 pm
keym wrote:
I like to do homemade cookies using Chanuka cookie cutters on those cheap garish Happy Chanuka plates. The whole thing costs only a few dollars, I could make 10 trays or so, and it looks very Chanukadik. I always try to include a nice note.

Sometimes a bag is easier both for your child and the teacher to transport. But great idea!

sub

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 10:03 pm
amother wrote:
I'm in a similar situation. I cannot afford gifts for my kids teachers, but the school is literally forcing it upon me. One daughter's class mother keeps calling me to send in the money, and my older daughter comes home daily begging me for the money, cause they remind her every day about it.

Why am I being forced to take from the little money that I have set aside for basic necessities to send gifts to the teachers? And I'm being forced to put the teachers before my own kids. I'd prefer to use whatever few dollars I can somehow scrape away to get a few minor Yom Tov enhancements (donuts etc..) for my kids rather than give a monetary gift to the teachers.

We get all these messages about gifts aren't really related to the spirit of Chanukah. So how come we do connect giving teachers monetary/ physical gifts to Chanukah? If we want to make it about showing appreciation, that's fine. But leave all options open to the parents how they can show appreciation. I can do it verbally or via a personal card. The school should not be enforcing a particular method of it, and especially not to involve the kids in collecting the money.

For this very reason our school sent out a different note this year in a sealed envelope (so students don’t see it)
It states that it would be nice to show hakoros hatov. These are the teachers. Please use your judgement. No more calls from class mothers. No nudging.
Call your principle and ask her to tell the class mothers to stop nudging and not involve the children
As for the therapists a muffin or choclate bar with a nice note. And you can be honest and say that you’re in a bind but wanted to show appreciation.
I received that a couple of times and you know what I really enjoyed it for my break.
A bracha to you that you should have great parnassah and even greater children.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 10:19 pm
I'm a parent and a teacher. My school sent out e-mails to the parents saying they were collecting money and one follow-up reminder e-mail. It is clear it is totally optional.
Thank G-d for decency!
This is so not something to stress over.If you really feel the need to give something (other than a nice note) I like the idea of a nice chocolate bar or muffin that another poster suggested.
and for any super snobby teachers or therapists who have a problem with this... well... they just have issues or expectations they need to deal with.

btw for anyone in this situation if you want to add a little something extra: if your young child can draw a picture or something for the teacher that would probably be really adorable.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 10:46 pm
I am a teacher and I would never want a parent to feel any kind of pressure.
I do appreciate the kind gestures, but honestly, a gift doesn’t have to cost money. A beautiful card is the greatest gift.
I try to tip my childrens’ teachers (approx $18) if and when I can afford it. Otherwise, I send a nice card and a speaciatly donut from a well known bakery in town.
Hatzlacha!

Librarian

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 2:41 pm
A meaningful card and a scratch off lottery ticket!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics