Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Weird names for items in your house
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 1:45 pm
Soft boiled eggs are Eggy bum bums inherited from my mil
Area on the second floor landing- just a big open space became the openarea one big combined word
When someone steals a small something they chitchka (first sound is a ches sound)
A room in my moms garage that was built 20 years ago to help a homeless guy- but he never once used it is called Yankels room till today
Porch where one year we had a tomato plant- the tomato porch

Flumjo- the end of the zipper that's supposed to be sewn in and sometimes comes out of the skirt/ robe

singleagain

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 2:24 pm
Something my dad deems useless is a "shpuntz"

dankbar

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 2:26 pm
Shmuntz

sequoia

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 2:28 pm
When I was a kid, the thermometer was Vasiliy.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:

And "rantetoosh" for schnitzel????

Yes! I’ve never yet met anyone else who called it that. Even those who use Hungarian words.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 2:33 pm
Our potato kugel bowl is called the zetzer. We don’t have a zhuzher, but we do ‘zhuzh’ things when we’re using the food processor/blender. Oh and my grandfather always called his walker his ‘vugele’

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 3:43 pm
I haven't read the whole thread yet but I'm cracking up!

In our house, chocolate is called "at" from when my daughter was about seven months old, first starting to eat, and pointed to chocolate chips on the table and said "At," which at the time was her word for "that!" But she pointed often enough at chocolate that the word "at" stuck.

We also call the contents of a dirty diaper "moose" which I have no idea where we got that, except that my husband is Canadian and always making moose jokes...and this is going to be interesting to explain when she's potty training! Oh, and passing gas is "an air moose."

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 1:33 am
When DD was 1.5, I asked her if she wanted me to make her two pigtails like Tzofia (girl in her daycare) had. Since then two pigtails are called tzofia even though she's now 10 and doesn't remember this girl
when telling tthe kids a story, instead of making up a name or using John Doe, I say shmigege

shanie5

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 10:03 pm
My kids call a pillow case a pillow 'sheet'

a suit is just the jacket part.

dd's blanket was her bomboo

When at someone house for a yontif meal, she had the menu written on a white board. One item was "a spare pair of guts" and since then we eat "spare guts" instead of aspapragus.

And ever since my eldest was little and complained he was "all tucked out", when shirts arenot tucked in, they are tucked out.

We have squirrels in our walls. Tried getting rid of them, but they came back. So dd named them Frankie and Isabella.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 2:27 am
InnerMe, you'll like this. forgot about this when I answered your Izay/Eazay post.
some women refer to some place as the eezay. as in "crazy story, I bumped into my mil at the nu, the eezay durt"

shanie5

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 10:39 pm
DD and her 2 year old dd made challah for shabbos. DD let dgd put sprinkles on her challos. Except dgd called them "Sparkles". I think we have a new terminology in our family lingo.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 11:05 pm
Chicken patties are "fusheet".

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 11:15 pm
dankbar wrote:
Chadela badela stories were made up stories.....that parents fabricated on the whim...it usually went like this....this family with 20 kids....mommy went out....someone came knocking on door....they opened up.....& this monstrous person did whatever he wanted to the kids....

My grandmother used to call them "zhabkele babkele" - similar storyline. Does this ring a bell to anyone?

(And the big bad wolf swallowed everyone all up except for the baby who hid in the clock and then the mother found the wolf and opened him up, took out her children, put in rocks instead and sewed him back up...).

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 11:44 pm
My DH grandmother made up a name for v@gin@. We call it a moontza. We also have a made up name for a p*nis. We call it a fogie. Whenever we talk about these bidy oarts while toilet training or bathing that's how we refer to them.
Fasheert is ground chicken balls.
The funniest Hungarian word for a soup ladel-fukunel.
My son calls Honolulu hanalulav after his brother told him that monsters live there. Anything remote or far away we say is in honolulav.
Many Hungarian words like eezay, pundula, polochinta, bundash etc. Are commonly used.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:05 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
My grandmother used to call them "zhabkele babkele" - similar storyline. Does this ring a bell to anyone?

(And the big bad wolf swallowed everyone all up except for the baby who hid in the clock and then the mother found the wolf and opened him up, took out her children, put in rocks instead and sewed him back up...).

Sounds like Little Red Riding Hood

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:12 am
Izay means 'whatever' in Hungarian!

As young kids, We called Italian ices- 'kratzer ices' (yiddish word meaning: scratch ices)! Cause you krotz it!
So when Mommy asked to go to the supermarket for ices and I couldn't find it in the freezer, I asked the manager: where is the Kratzer ices! He had a good laugh and called over another manager and asked him if they carry kratzer ices!!! Until they sent me back home to ask mommy which ices that is... Ice cream Rolling Laughter

Teacher_EW

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:12 am
InnerMe wrote:
How do you pronounce the "zh" sound?
Is it a combined "sh" and "j" sound?

its the middle sound of uSually.

mommy best

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:23 am
My sil calls a garment bag a suta(suiter) she's from England.

Teacher_EW

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:24 am
I for sure have things to add, but can't think right now. But reading this thread had me laughing out loud!!! LOL

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 2:14 am
SuperWify wrote:
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

My grandpa would call it a “pisher”

While we kids got a kick out of it my dad (his son) wouldn’t find it too funny.

DH also calls it a pisher. He really wants one
Page 9 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics