Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Bklyn non-vax families what are u doing re: mmr and school
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:37 pm
nchr wrote:
Spoke to my contact at RCDOH today and was told this is baseless and untrue. They never intended to do that; however, it is possible some individuals schools may have. There are actually a few Jewish schools in Monsey that have a 100% vaccination rate and will not accept unvaccinated children. They are very small though.

And those schools would lose big time in a lawsuit if it came to that. It's illegal to not accept a child solely because if vaccination.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:39 pm
amother wrote:
And those schools would lose big time in a lawsuit if it came to that. It's illegal to not accept a child solely because if vaccination.

This is true.

In NYS, if someone has a valid exemption, they cannot be denied entry to a school. The school has several options to block their entry, but ultimately, the parents can take it to court and they will win. Because that's currently the law in NYS.

In NJ, the law is different. I'm not so familiar because I don't live there, but I understand that private schools can set their own rules as far as allowing exemptions or not.

Sebastian

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:41 pm
Amother that could've came from the school not the county.

Did they hold a gun to your head and threaten to kill you if you didn't vax? How were you forced?

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:49 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Amother that could've came from the school not the county.

Did they hold a gun to your head and threaten to kill you if you didn't vax? How were you forced?

Came from the county. I even spoke to them before. No gun was put to my head but they did tell me that my kids would be about of school until the last case in Rockland county was 21 days past.

If I was able to I would have moved away for a few months till it calmed down. It's that scary to me.

The schools called me many times to apologize as the county was fining them if they had kids without the MMR shot.

How come you don't seem to understand that there are really valid reasons why someone doesn't want to put these things into their kids bloodstreams? I am super happy for you that nothing happened to your kids afterwards, and I hope you never know from the affects the shot has on many people. To some people the shot is more scary and has more affects than getting the measles which isn't even considered so dangerous in healthy people.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:52 pm
amother wrote:
getting the measles which isn't even considered so dangerous in healthy people.

can you tell the same about Rubella to pregnant women?

Sebastian

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
Came from the county. I even spoke to them before. No gun was put to my head but they did tell me that my kids would be about of school until the last case in Rockland county was 21 days past.

If I was able to I would have moved away for a few months till it calmed down. It's that scary to me.

The schools called me many times to apologize as the county was fining them if they had kids without the MMR shot.

How come you don't seem to understand that there are really valid reasons why someone doesn't want to put these things into their kids bloodstreams? I am super happy for you that nothing happened to your kids afterwards, and I hope you never know from the affects the shot has on many people. To some people the shot is more scary and has more affects than getting the measles which isn't even considered so dangerous in healthy people.

If it's so scary keep them home. You weren't forced to vaccinate, you were forced to vaccinate to send them to school during an outbreak.

I can understand that there are valid reason why ppl can't vax their kids. But ime most ppl don't vax for not valid reasons. And herd immunity drops and and then there's an outbreak and little babies get sick. This is the natural result.

And I would love if anti vaxers sued frum schools in secular court. Even if they would win, their kids wouldn't be accepted to any frum school b/c they sued.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:30 pm
Sebastian wrote:
If it's so scary keep them home. You weren't forced to vaccinate, you were forced to vaccinate to send them to school during an outbreak.

I can understand that there are valid reason why ppl can't vax their kids. But ime most ppl don't vax for not valid reasons. And herd immunity drops and and then there's an outbreak and little babies get sick. This is the natural result.

And I would love if anti vaxers sued frum schools in secular court. Even if they would win, their kids wouldn't be accepted to any frum school b/c they sued.

1) It's been done.
2) At that point, the school rushes to oblige in compliance of discrimination laws.
3) Fun fact: Most cases don't make it to court, because as soon as the school gets sued, they hire a lawyer who tells them they have no case, and the school folds. In fact, one school administrator told a non-vaccinating parent that the DOH is telling me so and so, and I need to comply, but if you say it's not legal, sue me. And he was serious. IOW, the school couldn't on its own disobey the DOH, but when the parents will sue, they will let the judge hash it out.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:

A anti-vax couple in Brooklyn, tried to sue a yeshiva and it was thrown out of court. The court gives the school the right to decide who to educate based on whatever criteria they choose.

This is no different than imamother not accepting men or non Jews.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:45 pm
southernbubby wrote:
A anti-vax couple in Brooklyn, tried to sue a yeshiva and it was thrown out of court. The court gives the school the right to decide who to educate based on whatever criteria they choose.

This is no different than imamother not accepting men or non Jews.

The bolded is false.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:55 pm
amother wrote:
The bolded is false.

Then how are single gender schools allowed to exist?

Why was Laine vs Ohelei Torah thrown out?

Sebastian

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 2:04 pm
Amother what about this case
https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....n.amp

Sebastian

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 2:06 pm
And here
https://www.google.com/amp/s/w......html

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
The bolded is false.

Private schools are private. Otherwise your school can't reject non Jewish or "not frum enough" students. And a school cant reject for owning a TV, mom wearing a Sheitel/hat, or dad wearing a colored shirt and no black hat.
Also, if it is a religious exemption, the school can reject you because they are a religious school and your religious beliefs are incompatible with theirs.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 2:15 pm
I don't have much internet here today in sunny tropical Monsey but I looked up the Laine verses Ohelei Torah case. The Laines based their case on the fact that their religious rights to an exemption was being denied and the judge ruled that private schools don't have to accept religious exemption.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:06 pm
amother wrote:

But you ended up giving your kids the mmr anyway because now it suited your needs to do so. If you really did not want them to have it you could have kept your kids home and homeschool them. But faced with the choice you chose to get your children vaccinated while there is an out brake if everyone was vaccinated before, there would not be a breakout.

cnc

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:12 pm
amother wrote:
This is true.

In NYS, if someone has a valid exemption, they cannot be denied entry to a school. The school has several options to block their entry, but ultimately, the parents can take it to court and they will win. Because that's currently the law in NYS.

In NJ, the law is different. I'm not so familiar because I don't live there, but I understand that private schools can set their own rules as far as allowing exemptions or not.

It's up to the private school to decide whether not they want to accept a religious exemption.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:24 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I would think that private schools have the right to discriminate. If schools can exclude students because of home computers, mothers with long wigs, etc, then why wouldn't vaccine status be just another category of things to exclude? I'm not saying that they should exclude anyone. I am just saying that they have a legal right to limit enrollment to certain types of students.

Well, Jewish schools have the right to determine that Judaism doesn't forbid vaccination, and therefore religious exemptions are not accepted.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:31 pm
amother wrote:

If I truly believed -- as you claim to -- that vaccination had a high risk of injuring my child, I wouldn't do it just to get them back in school.

Would you hit your kid in the head with a hammer to get them in school?

The fact that you were willing to vaccinate suggests to me that you weren't really that worried about it in the first place.

nchr

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:36 pm
amother wrote:
Not true. My kids were forced to get the vaccine and there were no cases in any of their schools.

They were probably is a school with less than 80% vaccination rate, or the school made their own decision. Also, no one can force you to give a vaccination, so your language is incorrect - persuade, encourage, pressure, but not force.

nchr

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 4:36 pm
amother wrote:
If I truly believed -- as you claim to -- that vaccination had a high risk of injuring my child, I wouldn't do it just to get them back in school.

Would you hit your kid in the head with a hammer to get them in school?

The fact that you were willing to vaccinate suggests to me that you weren't really that worried about it in the first place.

I am as pro vax as you can be, but this was a little rude. She wouldn't hit her kids with a hammer, which is known to always be dangerous and always be illegal, wrong, etc. Many anti-vaxxers are fueled by anxiety, a lack of knowledge, or a few based on legitimate medical exemptions, but regardless, their right to not vaccinate is protected. There can be consequences, but it is still a choice. Hitting your kid with a hammer is not a choice and is criminal. The anti vax movement is driven by fear and fear tactics, but being afraid of the less than 1% is not logical and so the majority of individuals, even those who do not vaccinate, probably realize that billions of people are vaccinated without ill results. This alone is enough to not equate it with a hammer.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics