Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Who is behind the shomrim cards?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 12:08 am
Amother honeydew, I assure you that hashem does not care out of what his children say tehillim out of. It the kavana and sincerity that counts.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 12:24 am
amother wrote:
And once upon a time people carried an actual Sefer tehillim in their pocketbooks so they could say tehillim if the need arose...

... and children were urged to check that their mother had one with her and call her names if she didn't ...

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 7:37 am
amother wrote:
And once upon a time people carried an actual Sefer tehillim in their pocketbooks so they could say tehillim if the need arose...

I don’t generally carry a wallet with me, and most of my clothes don’t have pockets. Where should I carry a tehillim? Are my tefillos any less important becasue I say tehillim from my phone?

anon for this

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 10:52 am
Sounds like a Jewish Jack Chick tract.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 11:00 am
anon for this wrote:
Sounds like a Jewish Jack Chick tract.

Say what now????

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 11:16 am
eema of 3 wrote:
Say what now????

Christian fundamentalist who drew and published mutli-page cartoons about how his type of Christianity was the only way and everone else (even coreligionists from other sects) were going to hell. Lovely guy. Also dead now. Sometimes they would feature Jews but also members of other religions or Christian denominations, or Dungeons and Dragons players.

Last edited by imasoftov on Mon, Dec 24 2018, 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 12:52 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Christian fundamentalist who drew abd published mutli-page cartoons about how his type of Christianity was the only way and everone else (even coreligionists from other sects) were going to hell. Lovely guy. Also dead now. Sometimes they would feature Jews but also members of other religions or Christian denominations, or Dungeons and Dragons players.

Got it. Thanks!!

anon for this

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:02 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Christian fundamentalist who drew abd published mutli-page cartoons about how his type of Christianity was the only way and everone else (even coreligionists from other sects) were going to hell. Lovely guy. Also dead now. Sometimes they would feature Jews but also members of other religions or Christian denominations, or Dungeons and Dragons players.

Thanks for explaining. I just looked him up and realized he was dead.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 2:34 pm
I'm so dismayed to see advertised that they'll be giving out these cards in monsey on Tuesday! And they're advertising that it came out in English because not only chassidish boys should benefit from them!! Oh my!

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 3:05 pm
amother wrote:
Who is behind the shomrim cards?

A very erlicha yid who was niftar this week.

Whether or not they are to your taste, keep your thoughts to yourself. This yid had great intentions and in a world where smartphones and internet have destroyed many homes and addiction is far from rare, he took action and for that alone deserves praise, while the rest of us just push this rapidly growing problem under the rug.

Just curious how being on the Internet is ok?
I actually use my smart phone for more good than my computer with internet, besides shiurim, learning groups, family chats, movie banking (saves a lot of time),gps, camera, my jewish (only) music, video chat with grandparents plus many many more positive things.
When I'm stuck somewhere, I always have a siddur and tehilim on me.

Why assume everyone out there is doing evil things? I watch movies at times, unrelated to having a smart phone or internet as I watched when it was VHS tapes.

Overall, for me personally, I think it's done more for my ruchnius.

Anyone who starts a campaign to get kids to look at something adults do as evil and let them know is 100% wrong! It's chutzpadik and they don't know the whole story either.
I personally see families that are open about phones and internet use and discuss it have less problems as it's used for the good it offers.
My kids have controlled internet and we discuss the evils and why we limit and as kids get older, they're told more.
Some of any kids are adults now and I see healthy internet snd phone usage.
I despise holier than though do gooders!! Make sure you're perfect before you start telling everyone about the bad they're doing!

imasoftov

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 7:18 pm
amother wrote:
I'm so dismayed to see advertised that they'll be giving out these cards in monsey on Tuesday! And they're advertising that it came out in English because not only chassidish boys should benefit from them!! Oh my!

I'm so sorry I don't live near Monsey because I really want to see a whole set for myself. And also punch the people handing them out. Well I'm not going to solicit assault, but could someone get a set and scan it? Or tell me where to get them in Jerusalem?

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:18 pm
I would assume one that is struggling with internet addiction is the one that finds it offensive. Otherwise, why would it bother you?? Very Happy that Very Happy Very Happy Crying Laugh

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:20 pm
imasoftov wrote:

Unfortunately, others carried on creating those disgusting tracts after he died. I grew up with them and hated them and they were one of the first things that led me to doubt and leave xtianity.

Not something that Jews should emulate.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:49 pm
Amother yellow, we find it offensive because of the way they're handling it and the horrible pictures on the cards. For example; people using smartphones getting trampled over by tractors, run over by cars, or being burnt in flames. Pictures of mothers dropping babies... these pictures are horrible. They're also teaching kids to walk up to anyone with a smartphone and start cursing them. I find it much more infuriating than offensive.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 1:39 am
imasoftov wrote:
I'm so sorry I don't live near Monsey because I really want to see a whole set for myself. And also punch the people handing them out. Well I'm not going to solicit assault, but could someone get a set and scan it? Or tell me where to get them in Jerusalem?

Bumping since I was here to post a link to this in the new thread. I promise not to show the cards to any impressionable children.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics