Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Giving up nap

yedidya's mom

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 8:07 pm
ds is 27 months old and im planning to take away his lunchtime nap- the only one he still takes. the reason is that he is having a very hard time falling asleep at night when he naps and he also has a hard time falling asleep for the nap which makes me think he doesnt need it anymore.
my question is- what do I do with him for another 2 hours in the day? just play some more?and how do I stay sane without my midday break?

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 8:19 pm
what if you tried putting him down for a nap earlier in the day?

pink car

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 8:30 pm
its a hard call

my ds starting showing signs that he was outgrowing his nap around 30 months when it would take him too long to fall asleep during the day etc. and he showed resistance, but I know what you mean about needing time for yourself...

how long does he nap for during the day?

maybe put him to sleep earlier and wake him up after an hr, so he doesn't get too much sleep...

yedidya's mom

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 9:55 pm
I tried putting him down earlier but he cant fall asleep. I also tried waking him up earlier and not letting him sleep so long but he is in a really deep sleep and gets cranky or just refuses to wake up.

nicole81

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 10:29 pm
what time does he go to sleep? my dd is 2.5 and she doesn't always need her nap, but when she doesn't nap she goes to bed 1.5-2 hours earlier, so there's not really that much extra time that she's up.

she still wakes up the same time in the morning too, maybe 30 minutes earlier, but plays in her crib quietly so I don't notice.

tweety99

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 5:12 pm
my son is only 16 months and its coming to a point where I only let him sleep 1 hr during the day or he wont go to bed at night. even this hr nap causes him to not want to go to sleep at nite and can sometimes stay up moaning in his cot for 1/2 hr! I was debating whether to give up his day time nap! but I dont think I shud do this at this stage should I?

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 6:50 pm
I think you should still put him in his crib for half an hour or forty five minutes with books or a bottle etc so that you both get a break from each other. and instead of the 2 hours during the day, put him to bed an hour earlier at night.

personally I'm not stopping my son's nap until he himself gives it up! once he stops it I just might send him to a part time playgroup, because I can't entertain him for 12 hours a day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics