Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
When calling a Rabbi about a shaila...
Previous  1  2

Motek

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 5:10 pm
I don't care how long you know them. Call the wives by their first name (if it's appropriate) and let them use yours. It's not tzniusdik to use your first name with the rav.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 6:14 pm
I know a good number of people on first name basis with their rav or rebbetzin. I know people who kiss their (old) rabbi on the cheek too, but it's really a French thing to kiss everyone including the opposite s-x at shul and I HATE that.

Seraph

Post Fri, Sep 28 2007, 5:13 am
soo my problem is, I think its most appropriate to say "Hi, this is Mrs. Lastname" when introducing myself to any male... however, my shailos rav is my father in laws rav and knows my husbands whole family, so for me to say "Hi, this is Mrs. Lastname"- well, there are 5 of us, and which one am I? So I say "Hi, this is Breslov Lastname" but it seems to be getting redundant.
When I have to call the uber chassidish rav of our shul, I say "Hi, this is DH Lastname's wife", because in hebrew there really isn't the "Mrs" word and I don't feel comfortable saying my first name at all to the rebbes son in law, ya know what I mean?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 10:53 am
I generally don't introduce myself - the rav serves both as the rav of the town as well as of the Chabad community. if it makes a difference, the rav asks me if I'm noheg according to Lubavich or not before he answers.

mommyX2

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 11:07 am
I always say hi this is "first and last name," sometimes I say how are you? which is kinda strange. and I once in a while speak in third person but usually forget to. this is a rav who has a few hundred members in the shul but does know who I am and I always introduce myself even if its a taharas hamishpacha question. I don't feel uncomfortable at all with this particular rav.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 2:13 pm
I always identify myself to the Rav. Aside from what's already been said here, about some tshuvos depending on particualr circumstances with which the Rav must be familiar, I am very proud to be asking questions. I am proud for my Rav to know that I am trying my hardest to be medayek in this important area of Jewish life.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 2:28 pm
amother wrote:
I always identify myself to the Rav. Aside from what's already been said here, about some tshuvos depending on particualr circumstances with which the Rav must be familiar, I am very proud to be asking questions. I am proud for my Rav to know that I am trying my hardest to be medayek in this important area of Jewish life.

Wow. I like your attitude.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 4:32 pm
YOu could always phone up and say 'hi, this is anon' and then what's the problem? Very Happy

peach

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 5:04 pm
I always introduce myself as 'amother'.

grin

Post Fri, Oct 19 2007, 2:23 am
Love it!
LOL LOL LOL
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions