Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
It's Nittel Nacht; Let's Tear Toilet Paper!
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 8:58 am
I let DD pick the movies on Netflix, we make popcorn, and watch shows together. I'll probably let her pick what I make for dinner tonight, too.

dankbar

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 3:49 pm
You keep Jan 6 if you originate from Poland, USSR where the holiday was at that date.
No Torah learning, because there's a tumah on the world then, the learning shouldn't go to the tumah, that's what I always knew

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 6:25 pm
DrMom wrote:
We learn Torah just as we would on any other day. It's a Xtian holioday, nothing to do with us. It's not 9 Av.

Apparently you don’t know of the minhag that certain groups of frum people hold from. That doesn’t make it irrelevant.

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 6:31 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
The way I celebrated every single legal holiday was by organizing my home or stocking my freezer. nowadays I don't get off legal holidays so it's a little more tricky to get these things done...
Presidents week was the best. we got 2 or 3 days off & depending on the hebrew calendar I would either get a major head start on pesach cleaning or focus on getting purim ready.

Are we twins separated at birth? That's what I do every legal holiday.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 6:34 pm
dankbar wrote:
You keep Jan 6 if you originate from Poland, USSR where the holiday was at that date.
No Torah learning, because there's a tumah on the world then, the learning shouldn't go to the tumah, that's what I always knew

Only chasidish people hold of this.
Litvish rabbanim are very against this. They dont believe the learning goes to the tumah or whatever it is. Torah is 24/7 except for tisha bav and erev tisha bav.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 6:36 pm
JustHavingFun's post explains a LOT. Like why I never heard of this custom growing up and why my ds in BMG has regular seder. I should just close my ears to minhagim I never heard of and have confidence in my predecessors who knew our minhagim instead of getting nervous that I'm an ignoramus bas an am haaretz that I don't observe all the things I read about on imamother.

There's my New Civil Year resolution #1.

Say it loud
I'm a litvak and PROUD!

littleprincess

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 6:36 pm
Just yesterday dh told me that the Imrei emes used to hear toilet paper on nittel nacht for all the shabosim of the year

dankbar

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 7:47 pm
Never heard of minhag of tearing toilet paper

dankbar

Post Tue, Dec 25 2018, 7:48 pm
What did I end up doing with dh on this legal holiday, today? Organizing my bsmt storage & cleaning up the sewer back up

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 12:01 am
What I did on this legal holiday? walked around my house with NO phone on me! no Dr., agency or supplies company calling today! ah! breathe! took a nap, cared for my baby & cleaned up a bit. entertained only one EI therapist.
Relished the privacy in my home with No nurse! Ah! pure bliss!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics