Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Do I cancel $300+ Designer Eyeglasses (store sample)?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Would you cancel the order if theyre telling me I might not get new frames?
yes  
 60%  [ 26 ]
no  
 37%  [ 16 ]
other, and please explain what youd do  
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 43

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 10:05 pm
This is standard in every glasses store I've been to (and I've been wearing them for 20+ years).

I think you're freaking out about nothing.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 10:18 pm
Many stores don't have more than one of each design, and when it's sold they'll order more in.

They always take the pair off the shelf, and I've never thought otherwise.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
This is standard in every glasses store I've been to (and I've been wearing them for 20+ years).

I think you're freaking out about nothing.

Not sure this is common practice. In other places Ive always been told they have to order the frame and can then put in the lenses. They dont use the frame thats in stock.

Youd be ok getting a showroom sample pair of eyeglasses for $300+, that everyone and their cousin tried on in a busy store?

Not me.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:59 am
amother wrote:
I meant they can break a month later, which would be after this pair of glasses were tried for 2 years, and then worn by me a short time. Theyd probably say theyre not responsible, I did something.

If these glasses have been handled by hundreds of customers in a busy store, over a year or two (but werent purchased because they are expensive), by some who may or may not be careful all this time, isnt there a greater likelihood, that theyll break faster than if I got a brand new pair????????

Glasses don’t sit in the shelf for 2 years. Or get tried on multiple times and get rejected because they are too expensive.

I really think you are describing a non existent problem in the marketplace.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:47 am
amother wrote:
Not sure this is common practice. In other places Ive always been told they have to order the frame and can then put in the lenses. They dont use the frame thats in stock.

Youd be ok getting a showroom sample pair of eyeglasses for $300+, that everyone and their cousin tried on in a busy store?

Not me.

With all due respect, I dont think you understand how the retail market for eyeglasses works. I have lived in many cities and have gone to all types of glasses stores, both mass market (Eye Masters type) and boutique type like you are describing, as well as bought glasses from the optometrist directly. You can sometimes request that you are given a new, never tried on pair, but generally the pair you get is the one on the racks. These frames that you are calling "samples" are not samples. There is just no such thing in this market. If anyone tells you otherwise, no matter how "reputable" the store is, or how Italian the frames are - they are trying to make money off of you and telling you a story to make a buck.

ETA - the frames that are in the price frame that you are describing are usually locked up and cant be tried on by "everyone and their cousin" and you need an employee to help you while you try on. How many people are you imagining are trying on glasses?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:58 am
watergirl wrote:
ETA - the frames that are in the price frame that you are describing are usually locked up and cant be tried on by "everyone and their cousin" and you need an employee to help you while you try on. How many people are you imagining are trying on glasses?

Not accurate for this place. These frames are on the wall and not locked up at all. I walked in off the street and tried them on with no help from anyone. There were many frames in that price range, and I could have tried as many as I wanted on my own. The salesman wasnt hovering over me at all.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:06 am
amother wrote:
Not accurate for this place. These frames are on the wall and not locked up at all. I walked in off the street and tried them on with no help from anyone. There were many frames in that price range, and I could have tried as many as I wanted on my own. The salesman wasnt hovering over me at all.

Ok. But I stand by the rest of my post re: no such thing as samples in the eyeglass frames market. Although they may honor your request, they typically don’t.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:44 am
ra_mom wrote:
Btw, I'm curious if this is the [name removed] They always do this.

ra_mom wrote:
We went to [name removed] . Quick appointment. Thanks flowerpower!

You went there? From the negative sound on this thread it seemed youre not pleased with them.

DrMom

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:54 am
amother wrote:
Update: They called back to say they were able to cancel the order. I heard so much about them, but I lost trust in them, if they wanted to pawn off a sample for $400+ (their price is $100 more for all their frames, for customers like myself, getting any reimbursement from an insurance plan.

Not sure I understand:

They charge an extra $100 to customers whose insurance covers part of the cost?

Is that legal??

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:57 am
This store is very reputable and has a better relationship with most vendors then most other local stores.

There are some distributors that work with display frames and new orders, and some vendors that you sell the actual frame being tried.
I imagine that the distributors policies are similar for all retailers in similar criteria.
I guess you are not that familiar with the line- but they did not rip you off at all!

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 1:10 am
amother wrote:
I imagine that the distributors policies are similar for all retailers in similar criteria.
I guess you are not that familiar with the line- but they did not rip you off at all!

Another place I went to previously, when I asked if I could have the frame I tried (a cheap frame), said they cant give me that one, because they need their samples. They order new frames when a customer tries the sample and wants one. So I guess different places have different arrangements.

Who said anything about being ripped off? For the $300 price, personally, I wanted a new pair. The store was honest and said the customer gets the one they try.

loveit

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 1:27 am
Every eye glass store I’ve been to for the past 20 years, including the one I worked in during high school sold the customer the frames directly off the rack. The frames are purchased from the manufacturer, when you pick the one you like the optician marks/measures and sends it with your rx to the lab (some insurances require it be sent to specific labs) or the lenses are cut in house.

The only time I’ve seen a brand new/never placed on the shelf pair sold is when the customer made an order for a different color or size. Like PP said, the eyeglass industry doesn’t have “floor samples” unless maybe a place like LensCrafters? But not eyeglass “boutique” type places

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 6:24 am
loveit wrote:
Every eye glass store I’ve been to for the past 20 years, including the one I worked in during high school sold the customer the frames directly off the rack. The frames are purchased from the manufacturer, when you pick the one you like the optician marks/measures and sends it with your rx to the lab (some insurances require it be sent to specific labs) or the lenses are cut in house.

The only time I’ve seen a brand new/never placed on the shelf pair sold is when the customer made an order for a different color or size. Like PP said, the eyeglass industry doesn’t have “floor samples” unless maybe a place like LensCrafters? But not eyeglass “boutique” type places

Even if thats the case, a customer has the right to ask if they can have a new pair (if its an expensive pair) and if theyre told no, to decide if they want to get their eyeglasses there, if theres no loss to the store, at that point.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 7:54 am
amother wrote:
You went there? From the negative sound on this thread it seemed youre not pleased with them.

Dd needed her eyes checked ASAP. I went for a check up, and the prescription they wrote will be checked again in April at her ophthalmologist appointment.

Dh likes the store because of their glasses selection. He doesn't appreciate that they pull the glasses off the display to fill but he likes their styles better because he can find older style frames and not only trendy pieces. I go elsewhere for myself.

I gave no negative reviews. I said they're known to sell their sample frames off the rack.

loveit

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 8:57 am
amother wrote:
Even if thats the case, a customer has the right to ask if they can have a new pair (if its an expensive pair) and if theyre told no, to decide if they want to get their eyeglasses there, if theres no loss to the store, at that point.

Because the store bought the frames from the manufacturer there is a potential loss by ordering a new pair. What if the original pair never sells? I guess I don’t understand why get so upset about the “sample” it’s not a sample! You buy clothes, shoes, and even cars off the rack most of the time and no one complains about having to take the “floor sample” someone else may have tried? Why are glasses any different?

If it’s so important to have a pair no one has ever touched you might be better off just trying to order frames online but then you never know, could be a return and someone else may have tried them on, oh the horrors lol

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 8:57 am
amother wrote:
After choosing Designer Glasses at the most reputable place in BP, I asked if Ill get new frames or the Showroom sample, assuming they'll say "For sure youll get a new pair". They answered "maybe these".

How many people would spend $300+ on eyeglasses that many people have tried on? Who knows how long theyve been sitting around and tried. (Theyre getting $300+ from me and over $100 from my insurance, so theyre making money).

Would you cancel the order?

I was thinking Ill call the store and say I only want these glasses if when I come to pick mine up, I can see the store sample on display (then I know they got me a new frame).

As it is, I see them online for much cheaper elsewhere, but this place has a good reputation for making up glasses.

WWYD?

When you purchase jewelry, and it may cost 10k plus.. yes, you receive the "sample".. It is not the "sample", it's just the item they're selling and and people try it on. I'm sure they clean it to perfection when they sell it, as they do with Jewelry.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 9:17 am
Op can you please pm me with the store name? I see a moderator removed it.
I think we get our frames there all the time and I was completely unaware of the insurance upcharge.
If it's the store we use, it's important for me to know.
Thanks.

It's a great store by the way. I just need to have all my facts upfront.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 9:26 am
DrMom wrote:
Not sure I understand:

They charge an extra $100 to customers whose insurance covers part of the cost?

Is that legal??

OP, can you clarify what you mean? Do they get $100 from insurance and change you the rest? So people without insurance pay $100 more out of pocket.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 10:03 am
asmileaday wrote:
Op can you please pm me with the store name? I see a moderator removed it.
I think we get our frames there all the time and I was completely unaware of the insurance upcharge.
If it's the store we use, it's important for me to know.
Thanks.

It's a great store by the way. I just need to have all my facts upfront.

You must not be going to the same store. When I as there, every pair of glasses was marked with 2 prices, one $100 more, for those who use insurance.

And to answer the other question, Im not sure how much more or less theyre getting when selling a pr of glasses through insurance. Their accounting dept or person handling insurance does. I wonder too.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
You must not be going to the same store. When I as there, every pair of glasses was marked with 2 prices, one $100 more, for those who use insurance.

And to answer the other question, Im not sure how much more or less theyre getting when selling a pr of glasses through insurance. Their accounting dept or person handling insurance does. I wonder too.

Yes there are 2 numbers but I never gave thought to it or asked them what it means.
And regard to insurance- are they doing the paperwork and contacting your insurance instead of you? I take care of the insurance myself. They give me a receipt and I submit it myself. Whatever they reimburse has nothing to do with the store. I'm confused where their accounting dept comes into the picture.
Unless you're talking about Medicaid type of insurance where the insurance only covers certain pairs. But then the customer usually doesn't pay out of pocket.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries