Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do you think there would be demand/a need for this?

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 3:47 pm
Someone mentioned to me last night that I should start doing webinars/tutoring/crash courses for college math students during the day. When I was thinking about it, I realized that I have gotten a number of requests in the previous few years to tutor college math (College Algebra, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Statistics, etc.). I always say that I don't tutor college because I haven't prepared the curriculum. However, I'm pretty confident that I could pick it up quickly. I would also potentially do SAT Math prep.

Do you think that there would be enough of a need for this that it could bring in a steady income? (I guess together with some high school Regents tutoring at night.) I'm in Brooklyn.

Anon because someone just gave me this idea, and I have no idea if she's on here or not.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 4:06 pm
Definitely! You'd have to get your name out so people would know about you but I think there is a big need for people like this.

The one math class I had to take in Touro was an online class because the schedule didn't work for in person. It was murder! And I'm pretty good at math usually. The professor just assigned chapters and I had to teach it to myself.
My younger sister was in a similar situation and asked her high school math teacher to help her with it. That was much easier than my DIY method.
My third sister learned from us and actually sat through the in person class and another student hired her for tutoring for the semester.

Good luck!

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 4:12 pm
Question and Suggestion: if you make it a webinar, can people access it at night too? I am asking specifically I guess for SAT prep because people taking those courses are in school during the day.
My suggestion is to target boys (and not just girls) if that is something you are comfortable with. I live in the tri state area and for some reason there are a lot of SAT prep tutors for girls but not many for boys (who honestly need it just as much if not more).

Good luck!

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:05 pm
Tutoring sure, webinar depends, how would it be different than current web options such as Khan Academy?

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:23 pm
seeker wrote:
Tutoring sure, webinar depends, how would it be different than current web options such as Khan Academy?

I am a math teacher now, and I have seen that the Khan Academy's curriculum is often poorly organized and not aligned to standardized testing (as per my students who have tried to use it). I would work on organizing the webinar in a more logical order.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:46 pm
Sounds solid.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:49 pm
Also, a webinar can be more interactive- people can't type questions on the side, which I could then answer as we went along. It's more similar to a crash course.

forgetit

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 10:35 pm
Can you do it slowly for a couple of months/semesters and see what the demand is before committing to it full time?
I think that a very large part of service businesses is getting your name out there. My belief is that as long as one isn't shy, and knows how to promote themselves to their target market, they can go really far. Do you know any students/staff on faculties, who can give you warm leads? Can you see what they think about the idea? Can you find out if there are
Another important point is to know what talks to college students (ie. why they want to take your class-just to pass/to become a math professor, etc.), and to speak their language.
You may want to take a look at Spitball (a social studying platform for students) and see what students there are saying, and what their needs are.
Ex. (I know you're probably not thinking along these terms yet, but want to give some food for thought:-)You may be able to develop a full set of online tutorials for different levels of prep and tutoring--not necessarily only webinars where you have to be present.
Or, to take it even further and partner with tutors in other subjects. Then, your 'online tutorial program' becomes the 'go to' place for all things 'college tutor'.
Good Luck!
Keep us posted:)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics