Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Choosing between Heichal Hatorah and MTA
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 7:58 pm
I echo what heightmom said. Who knows if there are any schools that have had none of their students experimenting with drugs. My son graduated from MTA last year and knew of no student who had taken any. Of course he did not know all of the students there (not even all those in his grade) but if it was a "problem" I cannot believe he would not have heard of it.
And if anyone cares, from what I can see from the Heichal website, they do not offer as many AP courses as MTA. In addition, my son and many many others took classes at YU as a senior in MTA. So he earned an additional 6 credits that way. They have a ton of extracurriculars. I'm sure few schools could boast so many, and a very large %age are not sports related.
Anyway: don't believe everything you hear - even from teachers who are currently at a school. Who knows what ax they have to grind.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 8:17 pm
amother wrote:
I would. The information is important enough.

Please email me at yeshivaquestions@gmail.com

amother
Green

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 8:52 pm
amother wrote:
This is a picture of typical Heichel boys.

http://m.care-one.com/?url=htt.....#2884

Not OP, but I get an error message when I click on this link.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:08 pm
heightsmom wrote:
Please don't single one school for having a drug problem. Drugs alcohol and vaping are problems for all schools.

I don't believe that.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:10 pm
amother wrote:
I echo what heightmom said. Who knows if there are any schools that have had none of their students experimenting with drugs. My son graduated from MTA last year and knew of no student who had taken any. Of course he did not know all of the students there (not even all those in his grade) but if it was a "problem" I cannot believe he would not have heard of it.
And if anyone cares, from what I can see from the Heichal website, they do not offer as many AP courses as MTA. In addition, my son and many many others took classes at YU as a senior in MTA. So he earned an additional 6 credits that way. They have a ton of extracurriculars. I'm sure few schools could boast so many, and a very large %age are not sports related.
Anyway: don't believe everything you hear - even from teachers who are currently at a school. Who knows what ax they have to grind.

I didn't want to bring this as a public discussion, but you couldn't be more wrong.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:16 pm
amother wrote:
Not OP, but I get an error message when I click on this link.

I don't know. It works for me. Maybe someone else can display the image.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:24 pm
amother wrote:
Not at all.

The boys who wear white shirts go to a different program that rents space in the building.

Which other program, the special needs one?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:28 pm
Beige: please tell me how I am all wrong. My son went to the school (and did not dorm, btw.) He had some very fine boys in his class.

cbsp

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:30 pm
amother beige wrote:
I don't know. It works for me. Maybe someone else can display the image.

Does this work?

http://www.care-one.com/wp-con......jpeg

Looks like a great group of boys!

ETA: thank you for the link to the image, the gentleman on the right was our neighbor, a"h. It was initially a shock seeing him so unexpectedly but I'm grateful that at least it was in such a positive context.

Last edited by cbsp on Thu, Feb 14 2019, 10:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:33 pm
I hope people are not going to make a decision based on a photo.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:39 pm
BTW, the Torah Bowl game that MTA beat Heichal 34-3 was on Dec 11, 2018.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 1:36 am
amother wrote:
I don't believe that.

Every school has problems. Some more, some less. Some places openly acknowledge the problem, others expel kids for vague reasons rather than specify why.

Anyway, MTA has a much larger and more diverse crowd than Heichal. That means that the top group is better, by a lot, and the bottom group is worse, by a lot. The middle of an MTA class probably looks like the group at Heichal, academically. Heichal is, for lack of a better term, yeshivish-lite. I think they graduate nice kids.

If your son is gifted or needs help, MTA is the better choice. If you prefer a more yeshivish atmosphere, then Heichal.

shirachadasha

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 6:31 am
cbsp wrote:
Does this work?

http://www.care-one.com/wp-con......jpeg

Looks like a great group of boys!

To me, the caption is even more informative. It says:
Heichal boys help make a minyan each day for patients at Care One in Teaneck, Teaneck’s only kosher facility.

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 8:03 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I considered both. After I was warned off by someone on the faculty of one school, the choice was easy.

There is no way to explain this publicly.

Bumping this!!!!!! Anyone anyone? First son going into 8th grade and new to the boys high school search

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 8:28 pm
amother [ Burntblack ] wrote:
Bumping this!!!!!! Anyone anyone? First son going into 8th grade and new to the boys high school search

Do you live in the Teaneck/Bergenfield area? Speak to moms in your shul. Speak to the elementary school principals. Speak to people who work in the schools. Go to the open houses and ask the parent volunteers. They will be very honest with you and help you find the best fit for your child. Check out the teens in shul and see which you would like as friends for your son. Speak to them. Ask them where they go and not if they are happy, but what they like most and least about the school.

I wish I could help but I only have girls. I could tell you all about Ma’ayanot if you want, but don’t think that will help.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:38 am
Do either of these schools have a dorm or help put boys up for boarding? TIA

cnc

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:30 am
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
Do either of these schools have a dorm or help put boys up for boarding? TIA

I believe MTA does
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics