Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
MTA

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 9:52 am
Can you tell me about the boys that go to MTA? What is the crowd like?

joonabug

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 10:33 am
rwmo

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 5:05 pm
joonabug wrote:
rwmo

Bumping this. Can you be more specific? What middle schools are they coming from? Who are the boarders? Tvs at home? I would describe us more jpf- though my son does wear a hat. We are out of town- limited options. Looking for something with quality secular and judaic

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 5:08 pm
MTA is more YU minded as it is their HS

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 6:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Bumping this. Can you be more specific? What middle schools are they coming from? Who are the boarders? Tvs at home? I would describe us more jpf- though my son does wear a hat. We are out of town- limited options. Looking for something with quality secular and judaic

TVs at home is not really the question in 2024. Even many secular people don't bother with traditional cable TV anymore, but rather stream their content.

The question you may be looking for is do the boys and/or their parents ever watch non-Jewish shows or movies, and if so what kind and at what ages.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 6:44 pm
MTA is the high school division of YU, so that is their hashkafah. The boys are solid boys who take their Judaism seriously, but yes, most of them would be familiar with whatever TV shows and movies are popular, would know from current pop music, would follow professional sports etc. Yes, they offer excellent kodesh and secular studies. They are solidly MO because they are part of the flagship institution of MO.

csa123

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:41 pm
It is modern orthodox with a big mix. The top shiur is very top MO kids, most of them wear a hat and are very serious both about secular studies and their learning. The middle shiurs have a mix of kids who would be top, but just aren't interested in putting in the work and kids who are genuinely working really hard but just aren't at the top shiur level. The bottom shiur is definitely kids who are not wearing hats, more interested in sports than learning type. The dorm has true boarders from out of town, typically serious out of town kids who don't have a good option in their home city and a few kids who are actually intown but live far enough from the school that commuting every day isn't a great option (Five Towns) and then a few others where they could theoretically commute every day but don't want to. If you want to PM me, I grew up out of town but am now closely affiliated with MTA and may be able to answer some specific questions for you.

nicole81

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:52 pm
It's as wide as the MO spectrum. If you can get into the top shiur, it's amazing. The school works with boys towards their goals, too. My son went to a weak middle school and started in the 3rd shiur but by 10th grade he was in the top shiur based on his own hard work and advocacy. He's super serious with his learning and unlike a poster above said, he and his friends know nothing of pop culture, sports, TV shows, etc. He voluntarily gave all that up years ago.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:55 pm
My sons attended MTA. We were very happy with it and my sons loved their time there and got a great education. My personal experience was that the black hatters were very much in the minority there, with most boys being rwmo. Can you go to MTA to see the school for yourself? You could probably get an idea if the chevra seems like a good fit. Also, attend the open house. You will get a feel for the type of families who are looking at the school.

nicole81

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 11:45 pm
Just throwing another suggestion out there if you're going to be checking out the area... What about Riverdale? Too right wing?

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 11:54 pm
If it's sounding too much in the YU world for you, look into Shaar Hatorah
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics