Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
"Autism is just a doctor's way of saying...
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

yonabets

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 9:20 am
aricelli wrote:
Yonabets:
Actually- I had a very tough therapy session (tough because its so hard to see his strange behaviour sometimes) with him thursday and came home crying... called my brother (also a therapist) and said over and over “my child is weird, I’m not a good Mom, I dont want to be here” so I guess I’mnot so awesome after all- just a human who loves her kid

😀😀😀😀
You have beautifuls words(and funny..)
Hatslaha with your child😘😘
I wish more human would be like you!🤗

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:47 pm
I've been diagnosed with autsim. And I feel it is determined me. It is a stigma. And the stigma is real.
I've studied, I work and bh I'm having a family k'ah but I always feel the need to proof myself. To proof I'm not f*** upped.
No, I can't go to big shabbatons because it is overwhelming me, no my house is not always clean and I find it really hard to organize, sometimes I'm socially awkward don't know how to react or anything.
It always felt for me that I'm missing something essential what others do have and I don't. And that hurts me.
And however, I've hurt people with my bluntness or couldn't make it to a Simcha because all the impressions making me tired and overwhelmed. I want to be, I try to be a good person.
I'm not a chldrapist, murderer or a thief. I'm not doing fraud or assault people. I try to be the best person I can be and to raise the family with all the love I have.
I feel that people will think I can't give unconditional love to my family but I do, I feel the stigma it is just saying I'm f*** upped, stupid and a bad person.

I'm not bad, I just have my vulnerabilities and that is autism and trust me I hate every bit of it and I wish I could erase it.

aricelli

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:53 pm
Oh bronze! I wish I could hug you- Your pain is raw. What about your good qualities? I’m sure there are and I’d love to hear.

aricelli

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:58 pm
Can you find other people similar to you? Perhaps that would make you feel less alone? as a side note I met” some adult aspies on an online support group who just loved their identity - they felt they had a unique way of looking at things despite the challenges it caused them)

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
I've been diagnosed with autsim. And I feel it is determined me. It is a stigma. And the stigma is real.
I've studied, I work and bh I'm having a family k'ah but I always feel the need to proof myself. To proof I'm not f*** upped.
No, I can't go to big shabbatons because it is overwhelming me, no my house is not always clean and I find it really hard to organize, sometimes I'm socially awkward don't know how to react or anything.
It always felt for me that I'm missing something essential what others do have and I don't. And that hurts me.
And however, I've hurt people with my bluntness or couldn't make it to a Simcha because all the impressions making me tired and overwhelmed. I want to be, I try to be a good person.
I'm not a chldrapist, murderer or a thief. I'm not doing fraud or assault people. I try to be the best person I can be and to raise the family with all the love I have.
I feel that people will think I can't give unconditional love to my family but I do, I feel the stigma it is just saying I'm f*** upped, stupid and a bad person.

I'm not bad, I just have my vulnerabilities and that is autism and trust me I hate every bit of it and I wish I could erase it.

But this stigma is why I don't think that we should label people who are as functional as you are as having autism. So those who struggle to clean and organize or who get overwhelmed at social events are labeled with a term that means locked into one's self? What about simply being individuals with different traits and abilities? Does everyone need a label and a stigma?

aricelli

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:02 pm
Southernbubby it sounds more extreme! I cant get myself organized and I hide under the table at social events- noone would call me asd!

aricelli

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:02 pm
I understand why you say this though having read your previous post

aricelli

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:06 pm
My little guy after much work presents as hfa and his life is so so tough! Of course I would never say its anything like your grandchilds life but neither are his challenges the same as another child his age- everything is a struggle. The term “mild” autism is a misnomer-

nchr

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:07 pm
DrMom wrote:
The comment does not sound worthy of a response.

I agree. The op needs to be rephrased to be respectful and professional. If you are asking this for a reason, then clarify. (I.E. "I have a paper for school and need to determine opinions on x,y,z." "I'm doing a social experiment to see how people respond to using profanities to describe a neurological condition..." "My husband just said this to his friend and I was taken aback." etc.).

nchr

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:11 pm
aricelli wrote:
Oh bronze! I wish I could hug you- Your pain is raw. What about your good qualities? I’m sure there are and I’d love to hear.

I'm pretty sure you did not have any hurtful intentions; however,

1. Her post clearly indicates several "good qualities" to me (I.e. determination, self-awareness, strength, etc.)

2. What makes a quality "good" or "bad?" Why is not always having a clean home indicative of a "bad quality."

3. She doesn't have to say her good qualities to prove her worth. That is what her post is about - to stop judging based on an assumption or a diagnosis but rather based on what you see/experience.

aricelli

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:15 pm
Sorry nchr, sorry bronze- was meant out of a place of pure love... out of a place of a mom loving her own hurt child more than life itself....and not always knowing how to make a that hurt feel better... definately no judging! She sounded sad about herself so All I was saying is: theres a whole lot of good that I’m feeling in your writing. Hugs once again

aricelli

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:18 pm
Trust me you guys- I’m living this life for the past seven years... you’ve got to meet my little guy and I to understand all the depth of emotion

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:23 pm
aricelli wrote:
My little guy after much work presents as hfa and his life is so so tough! Of course I would never say its anything like your grandchilds life but neither are his challenges the same as another child his age- everything is a struggle. The term “mild” autism is a misnomer-

There are people who are truly disabled but can talk, express emotions, and take care of their own hygiene but even though they are incapable of doing what others can do, why do we apply a label that is used to describe people like my grandson? A person who is toilet trained and able to speak is not even close to what is going on with my grandson so why do we apply the same label?

Cerebral palsy can be mild, moderate or severe but the term autism has been expanded to include people who are quite personable, friendly, and enjoyable to be around.

aricelli

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:27 pm
When you see your child spinning and spinning... when you see your child playing with his urine... when your child cries that he cant make friends- and then bites the child he wants to befriend... when the guy in the shoestore makes a nasty comment about your sons repetetive sounds...
Only scratching the tip of some of what we’ve had in the past
Just saying

aricelli

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:36 pm
I totally understand- I hate labels and (with my pediatricians guidance) still havent gotten him officially diagnosed because of what youre saying.
I dont make up these labels but I guess mayne sometimes its kind of like a ladder? there was nothing too enjoyable about my son pre therapy - he was a dysfunctional beast excuse my language- and now there is? ( He’s enjoyable but his struggles are real)

All I know is that when he was little and a friend (!) said
Thank gd I never had a child “like that” it hurt.
Bigtime

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:41 pm
southernbubby wrote:
He put his forehead up to mine and smiled.

He once was trying to push me and I didn't know why and only later realized that he was trying to get me to give him a snack and he was pushing me to the snack.

He rarely spoke but once got upset and started crying, "lo, lo, lo" (Hebrew for no, no, no).

Thank you for sharing. I hope you have more and more of these special moments with him.

aricelli

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:43 pm
Just to describe a bit more what life was like with our little one:
The good times were when he was spinning , lining up objects because we had some quiet. Otherwise he’dbe spinning at high speed while crashing into everything purposefully (proprioceptive input) throwing stuff, breaking everything (even metal objects) urinating on the floor out of anger, playing with his urine all while making these weird repetitious noises!
Dont know exactly why I write this-...
Thanks for listening though
Its therapeutic

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:45 pm
aricelli wrote:
When you see your child spinning and spinning... when you see your child playing with his urine... when your child cries that he cant make friends- and then bites the child he wants to befriend... when the guy in the shoestore makes a nasty comment about your sons repetetive sounds...
Only scratching the tip of some of what we’ve had in the past
Just saying

So you are describing autistic behavior but I have seen people who were diagnosed with autism who don't do any self stimulation but who are cognitively impaired and socially off. Now it may be that as children, they self stimulated but outgrew that aspect of the disorder but what we call spectrum disorders doesn't always mean autistic behavior. Maybe they should not share a label.
I knew a boy who luckily outgrew a lot of his autism but his mother was a powerhouse and he was her only child which doesn't mean that those mothers whose kids didn't make such progress failed their kids.

aricelli

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:48 pm
and by the way- a lot of these stimming behaviour can just be spd not asd just to confuse things more! Autism would be the communication aspect as well as some others- I’m no expert!

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:

Dear bronze
You are married and you have children.and you do your best to give them love...but you are amazing!!!!
Don't compare yourself to other people,look everything you achieve!(I 'm not autist and my home is also a big mess..my landry is a montagne...because I have ADD...!!!)
Big big hug to you!!!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics