Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Daughter rejected (Brooklyn)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 8:39 pm
amother wrote:
Eeekkk why?? I know nothing about it

It got not such good reputation withing the last 5-7 y. As I said, the new principal is trying to change it.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 8:43 pm
amother wrote:
Yes I am the same person! Her elementary principal is trying to get her into byhs. Seems they really don’t want her due to hashgafa 🤷🏻‍♀️ She doesn’t have her own smart phone like many of her friends that were excepted there. And she is not allowed to go online or watch clean movies whenever. It’s always under our supervision.

Oh, so you are in touch with Suri Rubin, then?
I don't understand about hashkafah. She doesn't have a smart phone and doesn't go online/watching movies. What do they not like??

ectomorph

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 8:48 pm
amother wrote:
It’s not a community school, it’s privately owned.
it is but has always viewed itself as the direct line from sarah schenirer. So they felt an obligation to ensure that every child got a chance. Im really sad that's changed.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 8:55 pm
ectomorph wrote:
it is but has always viewed itself as the direct line from sarah schenirer. So they felt an obligation to ensure that every child got a chance. Im really sad that's changed.

The whole school situation in Brooklyn is very sad.
Young, frum, innocent girls should not know what rejection feels like.
My heart hurts when I think of how many girls go through this every year.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:15 pm
amother wrote:
Oh, so you are in touch with Suri Rubin, then?
I don't understand about hashkafah. She doesn't have a smart phone and doesn't go online/watching movies. What do they not like??

Yes Bh we r in touch with Suri Rubin. I have only spoken to her assistant once. And call 2x a week. Haven’t heard anything else yet. Regarding the hashgafa we are trying to figure that one out. Our family is not extremely frum but we are very careful in those areas. As well as my daughter is not allowed to go out without tights or knee socks (crew if long till ankle skirt). Basically whatever is allowed in camp is allowed year round. She goes to regular BY type camp in the country.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:28 pm
amother wrote:
Yes Bh we r in touch with Suri Rubin. I have only spoken to her assistant once. And call 2x a week. Haven’t heard anything else yet. Regarding the hashgafa we are trying to figure that one out. Our family is not extremely frum but we are very careful in those areas. As well as my daughter is not allowed to go out without tights or knee socks (crew if long till ankle skirt). Basically whatever is allowed in camp is allowed year round. She goes to regular BY type camp in the country.

Which Brooklyn school do you feel would be a good fit for your family? Byhs these days probably tries to get girls only from very frum families, so maybe not the right fit for you.
What about Prospect?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:54 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I took my entrance exam with 104 fever 25 yrs ago and I definitely didn't score too well. Back in the day they took everyone. It makes me sad to hear that they too reject.

I personally know girls who were rejected about 25 years ago. Regular BY type girls. They did not take everyone.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:05 pm
amother wrote:
Which Brooklyn school do you feel would be a good fit for your family? Byhs these days probably tries to get girls only from very frum families, so maybe not the right fit for you.
What about Prospect?

Prospect Park is EXTREMELY academic, so if grades are a concern here...

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:12 pm
ectomorph wrote:
when I was there the highschool had a student body of over 800 girls from all walks of life. All levels of learning. The only time they didn't accept someone was if they had a TV in their home and even then , they did bend the rules a bit.
Because it was so big the only girls that ever got attention were girls that had good grades since lots of teachers didn't even know our names .. But they still accepted everyone no matter what.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:12 pm
amother wrote:
Prospect Park is EXTREMELY academic, so if grades are a concern here...

I'm pretty sure they work with girls who need extra help.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:24 pm
Have you considered or tried getting in to YOB?

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:56 pm
amother wrote:
I'm pretty sure they work with girls who need extra help.

With their own girls from their elementary - maybe. Outsiders with not good grades pretty much don't stand a chance of getting in. Unless major pull.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 11:58 pm
amother wrote:

Unless this isn't the real reason? Who knows...
Hopefully, Suri Rubin + your principal will help. It takes some time. I know BYBP didn't even send out all their letters yet.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 12:21 am
YOB has been mention here

Please give us more info about this school. My dtr is not in any HS yet and Mrs Rubin was only able to get us appt at YOB. But my dtr is completely against it. Should I talk her into going there. Will she be happy there

We don’t own TV
I allow clean kids movies.
I allow kosher phone and need her to have one for safety reasons. We live in very non jewish neiberhood.
We are very frum and tzniut but I don’t like when others push their ideas onto us.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 12:37 am
amother wrote:

Please give us more info about this school. My dtr is not in any HS yet and Mrs Rubin was only able to get us appt at YOB. But my dtr is completely against it. Should I talk her into going there. Will she be happy there

We don’t own TV
I allow kosher phone and need her to have one for safety reasons. We live in very non jewish neiberhood.
We are very frum and tzniut but I don’t like when others push their ideas onto us.

Doesn't sound like the place for you but I only went for elementary school and they was in the 1990s. We didn't watch any movies, not even clean ones. Most of the kids in my class didn't either, or if they did, they def don't mention it.

I would be a bit surprised if they permitted kosher phones in school but we didn't have phones when I was kid so I have no idea what they would say.

They were pretty black-and-white and definitely pushed their opinions.

Positive: The good YOB girls were generally pretty aidel. There wasn't an emphasis on being fashionable or having the next expensive thing.

Cons: Roll of the dice whether you'd get a good teacher. Highly focused on tznius. It was overbearing for me.

A significant portion of my class ended up in Lakewood or marrying learning. I also know some who went otd. It can be pretty difficult if it's not right for you.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 12:46 am
amother wrote:

We don’t own TV

Hard to say. Does she have any friends who go there now? Any friend's sisters? Acquaintances?
Why is she against it?

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 12:48 am
amother wrote:
A significant portion of my class ended up in Lakewood or marrying learning. I also know some who went otd. It can be pretty difficult if it's not right for you.

This pretty much describes any mainstream BY in Brooklyn.

Also, keep in mind that you went to school 20 y ago. While YOB is def yeshivishe, it's worth looking into.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 10:07 am
I'm the one who mentioned YOB. It may not be the perfect fit - though honestly you sound enough out-of-the-box that I don't think any Brooklyn school would be - but it's certainly in the ballpark and IMO a better fit than Machon.

And the reality is that she needs a school for next year, and she could do a lot worse than YOB. It's nice for her to be opposed to it, but she sounds out of touch with the reality of her situation. What's her superior alternative?

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 10:13 am
amother wrote:
I'm the one who mentioned YOB. It may not be the perfect fit - though honestly you sound enough out-of-the-box that I don't think any Brooklyn school would be - but it's certainly in the ballpark and IMO a better fit than Machon.

And the reality is that she needs a school for next year, and she could do a lot worse than YOB. It's nice for her to be opposed to it, but she sounds out of touch with the reality of her situation. What's her superior alternative?

I'm the one who responded about it but the poster who asked to hear more and to whom I responded wasn't the OP. I know it's been a long time since I've been there but I'd be surprised if they're now taking people who watch clean movies and have kosher phones and who don't want to conform to having views pushed on them. But look into it, maybe I'm wrong.

But for such a person, I would think PP would be a better fit, at least how it was back when I was growing up in bk.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
This is so sad... I guess they want to to show that grades are the most important thing in life..

I hope this is not true!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children