Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Meals at work

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:02 pm
Hi everyone. Hoping you ladies will have some ideas for me. My husband is just about to start a new job which has many more weekly hours than the one he currently has. He has always been home for supper, but now will be coming home late at night. What will he be eating for lunch and supper everyday? Should I/he be packing an individual lunch each day or should he keep (for example) mayonnaise in the fridge at work with some tuna cans, a small kettle with instant soups? Will food stay okay if he takes it in the morning from home? And if it needs to be refridgerated, which 'supper' foods are yummy cold?

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:06 pm
Is there a microwave at the office? You can double wrap disposable containers with regular supper especially stews to warm work.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:07 pm
What are his hours?

agreer

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 11:02 pm
My hubby works long hours. I make him 2 main dishes. Then he eats supper at home.

One meal is wraps - tuna, turkey, PBJ, chicken, eggs, etc

The second is either baked ziti, lasagna, a large salad with protein and carbs in it (like a grain bowl), noodles with leftover meat/chicken.

DH eats his meals cold/room temp. He eats things with mayo first. In the summer, he takes a portable cooler (lunchbox style) with him.

I prepare the food the night before so it's ready to go in the morning.

If I were you, I'd ask your husband what he doesn't mind eating cool/room temp. If there's a fridge, he can take his food out 30 min before he's ready to eat it.

Good luck.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 9:14 am
Many things are ok lukewarm. Salads, etc. Some meat. I never heat my food when I was in uni.

dankbar

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 10:31 am
Food that doesn't need to be warm:

Sandwiches, salads, yogurts, granola, protein bar, fruit, cheese blintzes, pasta with cottage cheese, lukshen cheese kugel, cheese latkes,
Potato salad, cole slaw, pasta salad, sushi, tuna patties, meat patties, chicken fingers, cold cuts, avocado, hard boiled eggs, tuna, chummus, cereal, cut up veg., baby carrots, salad with chic peas, Greek salad with feta cheese, salad w shredded cheese. Most salad won't go soggy if you place dressing separately. Canned salmon/sardines. Herring.
Cheescake. Cheesesnacks. Dips. Eggplant babaganoush, mock liver, marinated health salad.

challahchallah

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:06 pm
I have always found it easier to keep a stash of groceries at work, and then supplement that with leftovers or an individual meal I feel like on occasion. I'm too lazy / disorganized to pack meals ever day. Plus, I like having a few options of what to eat each day rather than what I thought sounded good the night before.

emzod42

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:39 pm
There are a lot of good ideas here. The options may also depend on what he has time to eat. If he doesn't have a full hour, he may not have time to construct salads and assemble sandwiches, or even to heat up something that takes a while in the microwave. Maybe start out with faster options and then once he knows what his schedule will be like he can figure out what he can put together at work.

dankbar

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 3:42 pm
Ch ch
You are a woman.

Most men are not interested in putting together stuff for themselves at lunch break.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics