Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
9.5 yr old still confuses script zayin & gimel when writing.
Previous  1  2

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 7:46 pm
hodeez wrote:
Had the same issue. What helped me is that gimmel and C are both the 3rd letters in their respective alphabets, and they both have the opening on the right side

Yup
I was going to suggest this.

cbg

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 7:50 pm
sweet wrote:
Normal. My 8.5 year old confuses the b and d too..

If he’s a righty
He can make an Ok sign with his left hand and that’s a b
If he’s a lefty ok sign with his right hand it’s a d

nchr

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 7:55 pm
Not an educator, but am repeating what I had been told by a professional regarding reading. After second grade, mixing up b and d, p and q, and gimmel and zayin would be a red flag. It's normal to mix them up in the first year or two of learning to read because our brain is then learning to unlearn mirror image (I.e. a dog is a dog whether it is facing right or left) but by second grade this should not be occurring. This doesnt mean your son has a problem and he may be in a school that hasn't given him enough practice time or may be very new to cursive, but it should be investigated.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 7:50 am
It's fine if that's his only confusion. I still have trouble with it and I think it comes from confusing left and right. Can he tell you instinctively which hand is left or right?
As far as moving forward, he needs to come up with a hint for himself. It will he more effective than any hint you tell him.

salt

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 4:24 am
I've been in Israel years, and I still have to stop and think sometimes - I go by gimmel being the same shape as letter G.

And as for b and d - if you write the word 'bed' - it makes the shape of a bed, with the long parts of the b and d being the side-boards of the bed.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 4:34 am
Was a HUGE struggle for me as a kid. Sometimes will still get confused now. I’m 24 Confused
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children